About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Less Abbreviations
Rodrigo Offline

Less Abbreviations
Hi, you guys has any plan to change the methods name?

Because is really hard to read code with stuff like Tm.d() and D.h() in it.
What is wrong with Time.delta() and Display.height() or something like it?

I know that we get used with sometime, but that quantity of abbreviations just slow down the development(for me of course).
01-04-2010 08:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Masterxilo Offline

RE: Less Abbreviations
I think all the abbreviations are reasonable and really very easy to pick up/"learn".
At least, I got them quite fast.

System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Q6600 2.4 GHZ, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 260 GTX 896 MB DDR3

Visit my site: hurricane-eye.webs.com
And read my blog: hurricane-eyeent.blogspot.com
01-04-2010 08:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mikesanimation Offline

(01-04-2010 08:26 PM)Rodrigo Wrote:  Hi, you guys has any plan to change the methods name?

Because is really hard to read code with stuff like Tm.d() and D.h() in it.
What is wrong with Time.delta() and Display.height() or something like it?

I know that we get used with sometime, but that quantity of abbreviations just slow down the development(for me of course).

I do actually prefer less abbreviations, but it's really just a preference. This thread will probably erupt in a flame of arguments on style pfft
You do pick it up pretty fast, btw.

And maybe it is easier for those who use the engine and speak Polish?

All in all, I don't mind it too much, and it's kinda late at this point to change it anyway.
01-05-2010 07:44 AM
menajev Offline

Tm.d() is frequently used, it's good that it's short.
01-05-2010 02:02 PM
EvilNoodle Offline

I have absolutley no problem with the use of abreviations but it would be good to have a comprehensive list of the ones that are used in one easy place.

Perhaps this already exists and I am missing it so if that is the case please tell me but if not then it would be a good and simple addition to the documentation.

EvilNoodle
02-15-2010 08:04 PM
McTomas Offline

I prefer the abreviations too, they are intuitive and easy to remember. If you don't know what it means you can always use Visual Studio "Go to definition".

You can use the whole word if you prefer.
02-15-2010 09:16 PM
Shinzon Offline

When I code I always have quite long and descriptive names, I find that later on when I open the program up, I can always pick it up a lot faster compared to when there are a lot of "Intuitive" abbreviations. They are intuitive so long as you are constantly working on the program, but even a slight disruption causes you to look up what each one does. I program using the "Auto-Complete" in Visual Studio, so even If I ever have a paragraph as a name (Exaggeration naturally pfft) it doesn't matter, it just makes it easier for a human to glance through and read without submitting yourself to a logic followed originally.
02-22-2010 01:41 AM
Masterxilo Offline

Too long names make code harder to read.

System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Q6600 2.4 GHZ, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 260 GTX 896 MB DDR3

Visit my site: hurricane-eye.webs.com
And read my blog: hurricane-eyeent.blogspot.com
02-22-2010 11:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EvilNoodle Offline

Hi,

This is a totally subjective thing and everyone will have their own opinion on which way is right. In my opinion overly abbreviated code is just as unreadable as overly descriptive code.

I agree that having variables like "megaSuperEndOfTheWorldMissileWarheadFuseDetonationDistance" is unhelpful but it is also unhelpful when everything is abbreviated to one character.

At the end of the day you code as you code and unless you have to work to a defined standard or work with others the choice is yours. As far as I am concerned abbreviations are fine as long as it is very clearly documented what they equate to. If they are standardised abbreviations intended to be used by all then I think there should be a comprehensive list of them on one page in the main engine documentation.

Just my 2p worth.

EvilNoodle
03-01-2010 08:41 PM
kulesz Offline

(03-01-2010 08:41 PM)EvilNoodle Wrote:  "megaSuperEndOfTheWorldMissileWarheadFuseDetonationDistance"

Just made my day :-)
03-01-2010 09:13 PM