About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Terrain Fade In
runewake2 Offline

Terrain Fade In
So I have been playing with the Bloody Massacre Codes and I have come across something that I am finding a little annoying. I created a lot of tall mountains and buildings and they eventually fade in when the player gets close enough. Thats fine but my problem is that it shows the clouds/sky before the mountains/terrain fades in.

I would like it if it displayed the fog color outline of the terrain instead. I have a feeling that this will cause the game to run a little slower but it would also get rid of the annoying terrain fade over clouds thing.

If you can think of some way around this then that would be nice.
01-16-2011 08:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ashtefere Offline

RE: Terrain Fade In
Im sure the engine supports something like this but I am way too noob @ esenthel engine to know how.

Perhaps some other developers can chime on, or even share their own custom code for such?

-Ash
01-16-2011 11:32 PM
runewake2 Offline

See, thats the thing, so am I. I could figure out some way to do this but I think that Esenthel should do this itself. I could work something out with fog with some time but I don' think that would look great or maybe a Terrain LOD that goes to really low quality (Yes, I know that terrain has LOD already).
01-17-2011 03:33 AM
Masterxilo Offline

Just use a higher viewrange (and fog if you like) so that the mountains in question are always visible.
The fading happens because the engine effectively hides and even unloads models that are far away, so it can't show outlines of them either but just fade them out completely, making the sky become visible where once was a mountain..
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2011 10:56 PM by Masterxilo.)
01-18-2011 10:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply