About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Fast Travel System
Brad_Mclain Offline

Fast Travel System
So I have come across a bit of a problem in my world design. My problem is that is I want to support a fast travel system in game where the player can click locations on a world map to travel to them (Think Fallout 3 and Red Dead Redemption).

So in order to do this I need my in game map to match up to my world in terms of scale and location placement.

I have partially already brought this up in this thread.
Exporting entire world as single image

My options (as i see it) for implementing this system exist as follows:
1. Have an in game map designed separately with locations that have no relation to the world (in terms of accuracy) it simply knows where to place the player inside the game world. This means I cannot have the player location marker on the map since most likely it will be in the wrong place.

2. Design my world using software like Terragen, World Machine or L3DT, import as a height map and then use this heightmap/texture map as the basis for my in game map. Would allow a player marker on the in game map as accuracy should be pretty good.

3. Export my fully designed world out from Esenthel as a single image so I can use this as the basis for designing my in game map. This option is currently not supported by Esenthel, as it only does the mini map in sections and in gfx format and as far as i know you cannot convert gfx to png/jpg.

I was looking at the following software packages for making the in game map, has anyone used them before?
Campaign Cartographer 3
Dundjinni
AutoRealm

I would like to know your opinions on this and how you would approach this problem, also any useful software packages that might help.
03-16-2011 12:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Fast Travel System
Hi!

Of course you can convert gfx to png/jpg (check converter tool, it allows conversion to BMP format)
You can also convert that in codes manually gfx.load(..) gfx.Export(..);

Also did you check the tutorial "game basics/mini maps of external worlds" ? (the name may be different)
03-16-2011 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brad_Mclain Offline

Sounds Like I might be able to do everything in Esenthel then and just export out the minimap and stitch it together.

I was led to believe you couldn't convert gfx to bitmap, oh well, that is good news.

I have done the tutorial for the standard mini map, how is the external world one different from this?
03-16-2011 09:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
menajev Offline

5. and 6. line of this tutorial explains everything.
03-16-2011 09:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply