About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Got MMO setup running Yay!! Questions inside =)
dicedealer Offline

Got MMO setup running Yay!! Questions inside =)
Hey everybody,

As the subject says, i got the MMO demo running and im able to play the game now on my local machine *big grin*. Anyway, so Im thinking that first i would like to start writing the game logic. I am familiar with C++ just less than fairly knowledgable, I have written some useless programs. The point being, I have never done anything on this scale. I am thinking of doing the following:
Downloading one of the open source MMOs like planeshift, and using the basic idea of the game classes there to be a framework for what im planning to do. For instance, because i dont have any experience in creating character stats, I am thinking of using another games code to learn from. Does this make sense? or will it be so extremely different that i shoudnt waste my time?
Also, i know that the majority of game logic has to be on the server side, do i just start writing classes then calling them in the main class? or is it better to put all that stuff in a .h file and #include it?
Sorry for my stupid questions, its just that i have never done anything so big like this before? I suppose i deserve it if you all want to flame me eheheh..
Please any kind of advice is appreciated, i hope you all dont mind helping a newbie programmer learn how to do big things.
Michael (dicedealer)
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2011 01:14 AM by dicedealer.)
04-13-2011 01:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dandruff Offline

RE: Got MMO setup running Yay!! Questions inside =)
Hi Michael. If you want, you can download another games source to get ideas, but adding things like character stats, etc shouldn't be too difficult - it would even be fun! I'd first give it a go and try to code whatever you want first, and then ask the community for help, or like you said, check another games source to see how they do it.
04-13-2011 05:14 AM
dicedealer Offline

I dont really want to bother our community too much with my fledgling coder questions lol.. My C++ experience is really too low to do a project like this, but i think doing this will increase my knowledge beyond the ability of the tutorials and books ive read and studied. To give an idea of how far along my coding knowledge is, I have never written a program that was more than one file. So, Im not sure if doing character statistics should be in a header file and #included, or if it should be in a player.cpp file or at the bottom of the main.cpp file in a player.stats class or something. Probably best answer is in a player.cpp file, but I should probably look up some other source code to see how its done there. Thanks for your help. All ideas and comments are welcome. Even any negative ones, they will motivate me to work harder and prove any negative people wrong lol.

Michael (dicedealer)
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2011 05:45 AM by dicedealer.)
04-13-2011 05:44 AM
TBJokers Offline

Umh, If you are going to try learning for other games, i think you will have troubles.
About just one file thingy. It's all pretty simple. You make a file named "Rock.cpp" Add code there , Int STAT
int str;
int dex; whatever.. And you can call that by like adding a " Rock.h " and in that like call the Rock.cpp pfft and then if you make another you just follow and connect them all. It's not so hard that you may think. But you should probably check some of the networking tutorials or so smile or you might check bloody massacre.

Man, it's always that semicolon...
04-13-2011 03:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kezryk Offline

Kinda glad i have source code to another client and server. with the basics i need. that should help me to know what i'm doing. You could use The open source code from ryzom to help ya, Its a once comercial game gone open source.
05-27-2011 04:38 AM