About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Improving the Editor
Harry Offline

RE: Improving the Editor
Maybe add ability to open doors which use default Game::Door class in world editor in Play option?
09-17-2011 10:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
knocks Offline

I would like to be able to add some common game elements through the editor like day night cycle, selecting custom animations for characters and objects through the object editor and better visual representation of the different light types.
09-21-2011 12:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
yvanvds Offline

Procedural texturing and heightmapping might be nice. It's the most important reason why I prepare my world in grome right now. See here:

http://www.quadsoftware.com/html/Editor/...turing.htm
09-21-2011 06:13 PM
Chris Offline

I +1 the two above feature requests, but also extend procedural texturing and heightmapping to have procedural object placement.

e.g.
- so you can define to automatically place object lists (like grass, trees) on x-material.
- x-material does not get placed on gradients > \theta degrees
- also make it easier to set the size of objects in object lists + more options to add variety.

This way we can quickly sculpt or import beautiful heightmap environments, and have it place objects automatically, without increasing the filesize too much (e.g. for tiny objects like grass, stones)

- expose widget cube to engine so we can use it?
- and ofc bump voxel terrain and displacement mapping! smile
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2011 05:30 PM by Chris.)
09-23-2011 05:25 PM
runewake2 Offline

I don't remember what Unity calls them (doodads maybe?) but some sort of 2D texture that can be used to mark otherwise invisible or hard to see objects (lights, trigger zones). It would be a lot easier to find them.
09-24-2011 05:07 AM
SamNainocard Offline

I would like a GUI List, as sometimes stacking GUI elements on each others require moving or move object up/down or to remove accidentally something that didn't use.
09-26-2011 02:12 PM
yvanvds Offline

A more extended particle editor would be nice. For instance with more particles in an array, so you can alter their respective properties and see the combined result. It would make it much easier to see what combinations work. Perhaps they could be saved as some kind of meta-particle so you can load them all at once?

And it would also be handy if these particles could be moved on a path in the particle editor. This way you could see what the result looks like if the particles are moving. At the moment you always have to go back and forth between the editor and your actual program.
09-26-2011 03:22 PM
Driklyn Offline

How about when you create a new application in Code Editor, it automatically adds a Main.es file with the required functions to run an EE game already defined? Perhaps a standard Render function for worlds could be included and commented out as well.

Something subtle to add, but would be a nice touch.

----------

Also, could you make it so we can copy text in the Header Browser tool? If I ever need to copy the text now, I either have to manually type it out or open the actual header file in Notepad and copy it from there.

----------

More than 1 undo in WE would be awesome as well.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2011 03:43 AM by Driklyn.)
09-27-2011 07:45 PM
Driklyn Offline

Should Header Browser also search comments? That could prove to be useful.

Also, I kinda dislike the semi-recent change that made functions nested in the 'Find' results window (i.e. you click the function, which then expands to reveal all the function declarations, then you click one of those to actually jump to the header file). This is good for when there is more than 1 function declaration but, more often than not, there is only 1 function declaration, which means you just have to click twice instead of once to get to where you want to go. That is one too many clicks in my book. pfft I'd say just making the "click to reveal all declarations" click should just automatically click the first declaration for you.
10-03-2011 08:08 AM
Demostenes2 Offline

Maybe I overlooked it, but I am missing list of materials on the object or mesh. I know I can cycle through materials by clicking on Material button in the world object window, but when I have for example 20 materials on some complex mesh/object, it is really pain to not get lost a pick right one. I would welcome some simple list of materials with some small preview:

http://forum.mymmo.cz/mtl.jpg

With something like that, I can easily pick material directly, I know if there are some "slots" with no texture assigned...
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 11:19 PM by Demostenes2.)
12-11-2011 11:18 PM
Tottel Offline

I think Esenthel does this deliberately pfft
No matter how complicated the mesh, you simply shouldn't have 20 (or anything near it) materials on a single object.
12-11-2011 11:59 PM
Demostenes2 Offline

(12-11-2011 11:59 PM)Tottel Wrote:  I think Esenthel does this deliberately pfft
No matter how complicated the mesh, you simply shouldn't have 20 (or anything near it) materials on a single object.

Why? I have lots of models in range of 50-400k polygons (complex castles, ships, etc....usually separated into 10-40 parts), it is really no problem to have such models in scene and for me it does not make sense to have it separated into 20 files. For example my typical city+surroudings has 2-3M poly and several thousand objects (I am not counting grass, it goes to millions, trees are going to tens of thousands). It is no problem to have 100+ fps on such scene with typical engine (and common optimizations). We are now trying, if EE is able too (we just bough esenthel licence to check its possibilities, if it makes sense for us to migrate our project there).

http://forum.mymmo.cz/demo/for3.jpg

http://forum.mymmo.cz/demo/alca3.jpg

http://forum.mymmo.cz/demo/demoa.jpg

http://forum.mymmo.cz/demo/daug.jpg

And it should be faster to have one mesh with unique 20 materials, than 20 meshes with 20 unique materials.

Making atlas with 4096 limit from 20 textures 2048*2048 does not make any sense, but this can be solved by VT system. And such system can probably be attached to EE, we are investigating this option too.

So conclusion is, that there is nothing like "too much materials", there are situations, when it makes lots of sense. Btw, I ve just tried one very complex model with cca 20 2048-4096 textures and EE handled it without any problem, perfomance impact on scene was 1,5 FPS in 2560*1600. So what? We are in 2011, most of us is trying to achieve next gen quality, so being scared from polygons and materials like 7 years ago makes really no sense.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 02:01 AM by Demostenes2.)
12-12-2011 01:26 AM
Demostenes2 Offline

I noticed, that grass and trees can be listed in object list menu. We have cca 600k trees in the world, grass instances are something like 200m. Would be possible to hide it somehow, or put to other category and strongly not recommend to even look at it?

Edit: I put few hundred trees and few thousand grass to scene and this file search is not usable anymore (filtering etc is very slow). So it must be way to not list objects with grass and leaf shader in this menu.

Or there is already some way?
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2011 12:22 AM by Demostenes2.)
12-12-2011 07:08 PM
Demostenes2 Offline

Would be possible to add to LOD options possibility to not render from some distance? So I could have mesh -> lod -> billboard -> off, or just mesh -> off.
Small objects like apples, spoons, mushrooms etc dont need any LODs (they have few polygons anyway) and it is practical to specify, that for example from distance 20m not render at all. It would be really nice to have it in LOD options, not to solve it from code (we have typically thousands of small objects in cities, dungeons etc..so we must have it solved somehow).

Or I am wrong and there is already way how to do this?
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2011 11:18 AM by Demostenes2.)
12-13-2011 11:16 AM
yvanvds Offline

You could make an emtpy mesh, save it and import it as the last LOD.
12-13-2011 11:57 AM