About Store Forum Documentation Contact

3D Pathfinding
Harry Offline

RE: 3D Pathfinding
Does ignore work for grass objects? I rebuild my world but I don't see pathmesh when I want to see it and other characters don't move.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2011 01:37 PM by Harry.)
10-03-2011 01:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

currently, grass is always ignored
10-03-2011 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Harry Offline

So what can I do wrong? I just choose World/Build/Clean all and build all and after that run application, but when I want see world path:

Code:
// show world path
        if(Kb.b(KB_M))
            Game::World.path().draw(64, 0.5f); // if space pressed

I don't see anything.
10-03-2011 02:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I've tested your world, and paths are setup correctly, press '\' in world editor game mode.
10-03-2011 02:27 PM
Harry Offline

Ok, sorry for problem. I used .pak with old world xD
10-03-2011 02:41 PM
b1s Offline

Hmmm.. This really is nice work..
Could it be possible to have slightly more precision to the path ?
Or even an adjustable size of the hole that it can fit?
We have few slightly tight corridors here and there and we are not really getting the path over there.
But if this seems too difficult or costly on cpu then its fine.
We can work around it by just adjusting physics.
Anyway it's a really great feature and has not really affected too much on fps either.
Great work!
also now that the waypoints are becoming more obsoleet this way could it be possible to add parameters to waypoints?
like direction of the waypoint in world editor or something like that?
Best way would be to have similar parameter thingy as in regular objects.
That way anyone could add actions or what ever they want to waypoints.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2011 07:37 PM by b1s.)
10-04-2011 07:36 PM
b1s Offline

Yeah.. So just make my own waypoints or something? Should probably now do that..
10-05-2011 08:36 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(10-04-2011 07:36 PM)b1s Wrote:  Or even an adjustable size of the hole that it can fit?
We have few slightly tight corridors here and there and we are not really getting the path over there.
I'll put this on the roadmap, that requires some analyzing
10-05-2011 08:58 AM
b1s Offline

Yeah. Well I'll try to work around this in the mean time. Doors are sometimes being a problem. When the door turns open it still takes some room from the hole and a path is not generated trough the door.
10-05-2011 09:53 AM
Tottel Offline

You could just let the doors be ignored in the pathmesh generation and use a physbox instead.
10-05-2011 11:29 AM
fatcoder Offline

(10-05-2011 08:58 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  
(10-04-2011 07:36 PM)b1s Wrote:  Or even an adjustable size of the hole that it can fit?
I'll put this on the roadmap, that requires some analyzing

There is actually a few parameters that need to be exposed to allow the navmesh generation to be customized. These include:
  • Cell Size - Controls the resolution of the grid, smaller sizes give a finer more accurate navmesh at the expensive of performance.
  • Walkable Height and Walkable Radius - Controls the height and radius of the agent for testing against the world geometry.
  • Walkable Climb - Controls how high the agent can step up.
  • Walkable Slope Angle - Controls the maximum slope the agent can walk on.

There are some other parameters too, but they could probably be intelligently controlled by EE in the background. I think the above list is a must at the minimum.

You may even want to consider an option for generating more than one navmesh for different sized agents.

I also assume you haven't integrated detour as well yet, only recast? I just tried walking two agents toward one another and they just walked straight into each other instead of avoiding each other. Unless I'm missing something to enable this feature??

I'm happy to share code from my implementation, which has detour working (it is pretty easy). You just need to create a single dtCrowd instance for the system and then call addAgent on it to add individual agents to the system. I then store the agent index in my base agent object, which can call requestMoveTarget from dtCrowd when the agent wants to go somewhere. Then you just update dtCrowd every frame and let the magic happen.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2011 12:09 PM by fatcoder.)
10-05-2011 11:48 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

recast - path mesh generation (available)
detour - path finding (available)
detour crowd - auto management for agents (not yet available)
detour crowd uses max limit constant for number of agents which is not good, I will look into it in the future.
10-05-2011 12:21 PM
khces Offline

While building our world, there was an error like above picture. Is the size of world fixed now?

Attached File(s) Image(s)

10-06-2011 04:00 PM
Zervox Offline

You should use task manager to check memory consumption while it is generating paths, seems it is using a tremendous amount of memory while generating.
10-06-2011 04:31 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi, this is probably due to compression of PathMesh during saving (LZMA is used, which uses lots of memory for compressing, on each work thread separately).

You can try increasing "virtual memory" in windows settings (to allow for more RAM, taken from HDD).

What kind of CPU do you have? I'm interested in number of cores/hardware threads.
How many RAM do you have?

Quote:Is the size of world fixed now?
why? nothing has changed in world size
10-06-2011 05:09 PM