About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel Editor 2.0
ronalmb Offline

RE: Esenthel Editor 2.0
Does this mean that Editor 1.0 is no longer being worked on? Does this mean that the request for being able to enter in a value by which to rotate a model is not to be included in that version? The "surprise" you have been working on (and why the previous editor ceased to get updated) is that I purchase a new engine?
09-16-2012 05:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PsychoBoy Offline

(09-16-2012 05:54 PM)ronalmb Wrote:  Does this mean that Editor 1.0 is no longer being worked on?
Did you read what Esenthel said?
Esenthe Wrote:3) Both 1.0 and 2.0 will be updated (they share the same EE headers, libs, functions),
09-16-2012 07:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ronalmb Offline

PsychoBoy, yes I have read what he has said. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my questioning as I am having trouble understanding why anyone would continue to maintain two versions of an editor especially when the second offers much more than the first (and I am assuming functions better as well).

Yes, they both share the same EE headers, libs, functions. But I have a hard time fathoming how Esenthel will have the time to make good features for Editor 2.0 and then work backwards to fit them into Editor 1.0 as well. It simply seems a waste of time and productivity, as overworked as he is. I fail to see how maintaining two editors is viable for any period of time and am therefore weighing my options.

If both Editors are so close in function and performance that anything he writes for Editor 2.0 will automatically work in Editor 1.0 with no additional effort on his behalf then I admit - I'm too dumb to understand the point of an Editor 2.0 and would like to be enlightened further.

I do thank you for taking the time to reply to my post even if it wasn't helpful to me. I appreciate the time you took to locate Line 3 and paste it to me.
09-16-2012 08:05 PM
yvanvds Offline

Just tried out the new editor. At first glance I like most of what I see, keeping in mind that some things just aren't ready yet.

What troubles me the most is the random filenames for everything you create. I don't like that I'm not able to verify the files for myself and see what's what. I'm also not sure how this would work with the uploader tool, which I like a lot.

I see that it's also not possible to import existing projects, but that might be added later on?

If you're looking for extra ideas: i'd love to see the ablity to place invisible objects (like sounds, reverbs, gui or other triggers) and see an appropriate icon displayed at that spot.
09-16-2012 10:31 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:I don't like that I'm not able to verify the files for myself and see what's what.
You will be able to get the ID name (file name) of a project element by right-clicking on it (will be added later), please keep in mind that I'm avoiding allowing the user to manually manipulate the files, so he won't mess something up.

Quote:I'm also not sure how this would work with the uploader tool, which I like a lot.
This will work with Uploader perfectly.

Quote:I see that it's also not possible to import existing projects, but that might be added later on?
Yes, I don't want the users to need to re-import all resources and create worlds from scratch, this will be added.

Quote:i'd love to see the ablity to place invisible objects (like sounds, reverbs, gui or other triggers) and see an appropriate icon displayed at that spot.
yeah, for now there's just a transparent ball for objects without meshes, but I'd like to add the ability to use icons as well (especially for lights)
09-16-2012 10:37 PM
Rollcage Offline

For everyone concerned about the maintenance of two versions of the editor. I think what will happen and what is logical is for v1 to be replaced by v2 and no longer avilable. I think by keeping it a secret and not advertising it properly people have been caught off guard. Going forward a perseat license will be much better.
What happens in the situation where a team is working on a game and not all have the new editor. What license will the product fall under?

I would like to have adjustable speed for the camera in world mode.
09-17-2012 04:13 AM
fatcoder Offline

All very nice... wish it was of use to me. blushing Unfortunately I don't use the editors for my project. In my opinion, EE's real power is in the engine core, not the editors. With the talk of all the other tools yet to be added to this new editor, guess we can push the current road map back another 12 months :-(

I hope the engine core doesn't get neglected with all the stuff on the roadmap for this new shiny editor. Bring on the engine core and performance updates please. lol

On a side note, I think the licensing with the new editor is fine. But perhaps I should keep my opinion to myself since I have no need for the editor. I do think however that the v1 editor should be killed off asap. Esenthel does not need more work supporting two editors.

P.S. Why is there no sad face in the smilies?
09-18-2012 12:58 AM
Rubeus Offline

I agree with everything fatcoder said. I'm immensely enjoying the way the engine is without the use of the editor. However, given that the engine is marketed to people that want to make MMOs, I can't begrudge the time spent working on the editor instead of the engine.

As far as the 2 versions... it doesn't really make sense to me, and does seem a little bit redundant to continue with both--there's a lot of overlap. Maybe a better (more efficient) idea would be to kill of the v1, then make a 'basic' and 'paid' of the version 2 editor.
09-18-2012 01:41 AM
PsychoBoy Offline

New editor looks very nice. IMO it's good idea with licensing per-seat. Esenthel has very rich API and could be used even in smaller non-game apps. However still waiting for most important part of editor - the code editor smile
09-18-2012 02:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rollcage Offline

Some thing I would like is "align to object" or be able to set the grid location and axis. To allow you to use the grid at locations that are not on heightmap.
EDIT: I see this is possible but it wasn't obvious at first.

Also CSG editor smile
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 09:35 AM by Rollcage.)
09-21-2012 09:32 AM
mystara Offline

I am...confused.
I have to add my name to the list of people asking: Is this a new editor, a new engine or a new editor and a new engine?

Whatever it is looks nice and seems to be more functional than the current editor. I like the integration of workflow into it.

Would I be able to run a server on a linux box in headless mode? If not, the server hosting functionality isn't much use to me personally. I don't have any spare windows machines floating around smile

As for whether I'd buy it or not:

If it's a new editor, then I suspect my answer is 'no'. There aren't really enough cool/new features for me to justify spending $100 on it (let alone $200). Even if there were enough new features, I'd probably be asking "why aren't these features in the editor that I already paid to get a license for?".

If it's a whole new engine that's been made, then I would decide how the upgrade cost compares to the cost of moving to another engine. I'd then compare the features of the new Esenthel engine with those of other engines. One of the reasons I moved to the Esenthel engine in the first place was that the updates to the core engine were said to be free. If the updates stop being free (even for "really cool" changes), then I may be better off buying a different engine.
09-21-2012 03:52 PM
cmontiel Offline

@mystara, It's a new editor, not a new engine.

IRC: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #Esenthel
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 04:53 PM by cmontiel.)
09-21-2012 04:53 PM
mystara Offline

hmm, though the entry in the store repeatedly refers to engine 2.0
09-21-2012 06:20 PM
cmontiel Offline

Not sure but I think he refers to Esenthel Engine 2.0 because it comes with a new license too.

IRC: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #Esenthel
09-21-2012 08:11 PM
Skykill Offline

Yes it's probably for that, but i agree it's confusing, it should be changed.
09-21-2012 10:20 PM