About Store Forum Documentation Contact

The Kingdom Of Soul
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: The Kingdom Of Soul
Again, thanks for the positive comments guys ... it's appreciated.

I have to say the way shadow maps have been implemented in this engine is fantastic. My last engine suffered from an inability to effectively display shadows at a distance and terrain shadows seemed to be in a permanent state of broken, something that the developer seemed incapable of ever fixing, which was very evident when using day - night cycles.

I introduced a day - night cycle last night in code and the results were superb, beautiful smooth sweeping shadows visible at any distance.

This engine just looks and feels so much more professional. It's a pleasure to work with smile
03-24-2013 08:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dwight Offline

(03-24-2013 08:56 AM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  Again, thanks for the positive comments guys ... it's appreciated.

I have to say the way shadow maps have been implemented in this engine is fantastic. My last engine suffered from an inability to effectively display shadows at a distance and terrain shadows seemed to be in a permanent state of broken, something that the developer seemed incapable of ever fixing, which was very evident when using day - night cycles.

I introduced a day - night cycle last night in code and the results were superb, beautiful smooth sweeping shadows visible at any distance.

This engine just looks and feels so much more professional. It's a pleasure to work with smile

Great progress here with people who actually know what they are doing, and using the engine as they should!

More screens!! I am eagerly awaiting this project smile
03-24-2013 10:40 AM
gdalex Offline

Looks very nice, congratulations smile
03-24-2013 12:41 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Cheers guys! I have only the graveyard to complete now in the Village itself; apart from some incidental foliage and ground textures to add the final touches. Progress has been really swift thanks to the great editor and tools.

I'm planning on leaving the grass and trees outside of the village for now as I see Greg is currently working on a vegetation paint system. Having used this type of system before it's worth waiting for so I'll probably turn my attention to the coding for a while.

I'll complete the initial 'load the level with day night cycle and move a camera around' code which is almost done before tackling the first big task of getting the AI engine I'm using integrated into Esenthel.

After that it's an ongoing process of moving my existing game engine code over. It has its own framework and classes supporting that so I need to make a few decisions on whether I stick with that or move over to Esenthels own framework and game support functionality.

I need to look at some of the examples in detail before deciding whether to go for one or the other or a combination of both. The engine is designed really well from what I've seen of it so I will be paying a lot of attention to what game mechanics are inherently supported and how they fit with my games requirements!
03-24-2013 02:58 PM
Ozmodian Offline

PIXEL PERFECT Wrote:It's a shame the engine doesn't support the fade to average color mipmaps I use in my terrain textures as this allows
high detail terrain textures without the repeating pattern issues you tend to get otherwise. I have taken advantage of
the macro texture facility which cures the issue in the far distance.

PIXEL PERFECT Wrote:I'm planning on leaving the grass and trees outside of the village for now as I see Greg is currently working on a vegetation paint system. Having used this type of system before it's worth waiting for so I'll probably turn my attention to the coding for a while.

Ask and you shall receive! Now that is what i call customer service! Keep up the great work Pixel

Esenthel Wrote:-added support for automatic material texture mip map blurring in the material editor (can be used for terrain materials to reduce texture repetitiveness)

-added support for object painting (used for fast tree/grass painting) thanks to new "Paint" button in the World Editor Object mode
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 07:59 PM by Ozmodian.)
03-26-2013 07:59 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(03-26-2013 07:59 PM)Ozmodian Wrote:  Ask and you shall receive! Now that is what i call customer service!
Absolutely!!! Huge thanks to Grzegorz , fantastic support and customer service indeed! I shall be trying both of these out tonight. Couldn't be more happy grin
03-26-2013 09:55 PM
fuzzylr Offline

Yes, I like that. Nice job.

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
Project V. Studios | Game Dev
03-29-2013 11:07 PM
carlbrunning Offline

hi Pixel its looking good as normal, and am please you having fun again
03-30-2013 11:12 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Thank's Carl. Not been able to work on it for the last week and a half but hoping to get back to it this weekend smile
04-05-2013 01:39 PM
xzessmedia Offline

(03-26-2013 09:55 PM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  
(03-26-2013 07:59 PM)Ozmodian Wrote:  Ask and you shall receive! Now that is what i call customer service!
Absolutely!!! Huge thanks to Grzegorz , fantastic support and customer service indeed!

Yeah i can absolutely agree to that!
This is the most profitable indie engine you can get!!
Keep up!
04-05-2013 02:40 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Work continues on the level design. This is the village graveyard:

04-12-2013 10:22 PM
cmontiel Offline

Nice work with textures, highly detailed.

IRC: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #Esenthel
04-13-2013 01:02 AM
3dFoin Offline
Banned

I want to play it grin
04-22-2013 07:29 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Thanks again for the positive comments.

The initial test level design is almost complete, what is left I will tackle as and when I have the time and as a welcome break from coding.

I've moved away from that for the moment to review the Bloody Massacre game code as an vehicle to obtaining some understanding of Esenthel's embedded functionality before deciding how to migrate my existing game code and interface it in a complimentary way.

My first major job will be to integrate the AI engine I'm using and prove that functionality is integrated successfully. However that will entail me getting some basic custom animation routines running first which I'm hoping to start on as soon as the code review is complete and I'm happy I have a reasonable understanding of Esenthel's game mechanics.

Full kudos to Grzegorz, the more I look into this engine the more I like it. I'm happy that I have finally found an engine that appears stable enough and has the functionality I need to get the job done and build the entire game. A daunting amount of work in front of me still ... but that is the nature of game development!

Will update this thread as soon as I have anything more to show.
04-23-2013 10:22 AM
Ecco Offline

..this looks really good...honestly, i cant wait to start work with EE..soon as i get rid of current obligations, im on it, full time...very nice renders Pixel..good work..
04-23-2013 12:06 PM