About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel 1.0 outdated?
Shatterstar Offline

RE: Esenthel 1.0 outdated?
If there is an official release of 1.0 you should temporarily sale a license for it again. because some people might not have enough to money to buy your 2.0, or are having problems saving up the money. If you sold it for like 60 dollars or something or whatever was cheaper...people might buy 1.0...and then maybe want to buy 2.0 later. that would increase your sales.
think of it this way...if there is a bunch of people that can't pay 200 dollars now...and they can't six months from now, then you missed an opportunity to sale....but if they can pay 50 or 60 dollars...then you have increased your sales before the end of the year.
2.0 will still look just as appealing to serious game developers who have the money to spend.
12-03-2013 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
candam Offline

(12-03-2013 09:54 AM)Shatterstar Wrote:  If there is an official release of 1.0 you should temporarily sale a license for it again. because some people might not have enough to money to buy your 2.0, or are having problems saving up the money. Plus...every time someone bought your product...they were buying a beta product, not an official release. If you sold it for like 60 dollars or something or whatever was cheaper...people might buy 1.0...and then maybe want to buy 2.0 later. that would increase your sales.
think of it this way...if there is a bunch of people that can't pay 200 dollars now...and they can't six months from now, then you missed an opportunity to sale....but if they can pay 50 or 60 dollars...then you have increased your sales before the end of the year.
2.0 will still look just as appealing to serious game developers who have the money to spend.

I disagree

Esenthel has stated before that 1.0 is no longer available for selling because his focus right now is on 2.0 but the people who has purchased 1.0 are still able to access and download it . he has a point he can't go on developing 2 different editors with different structures . he can't sell it anymore because you can't sell a product you can't support anymore
I guess that's how it works smile

Good lucksmile
12-03-2013 10:37 AM
Shatterstar Offline

1. you say that you can't sell it anymore because you can't sell a product you can't support anymore. Answer is- yeah, you can. especially if you are upfront with your customers stating the fact that you can't support it anymore.

2. he can't go on developing 2 different editors with different structures. Answer is - I never said that he should.

3. Esenthel has stated before that 1.0 is no longer available for selling because his main focus right now is on 2.0 Answer: That's B.S. I doubt that he said that. And if he did, he was being vague to avoid a straight forward answer. Taking something off of a website and refusing to sell something that you have already made does not make you lose focus on making something else.

So here is my question, what exactly do we disagree on? that it would make him more money? because that was the point that I was trying to make.
12-03-2013 01:21 PM
candam Offline

(12-03-2013 01:21 PM)Shatterstar Wrote:  1. you say that you can't sell it anymore because you can't sell a product you can't support anymore. Answer is- yeah, you can. especially if you are upfront with your customers stating the fact that you can't support it anymore.

2. he can't go on developing 2 different editors with different structures. Answer is - I never said that he should.

3. Esenthel has stated before that 1.0 is no longer available for selling because his main focus right now is on 2.0 Answer: That's B.S. I doubt that he said that. And if he did, he was being vague to avoid a straight forward answer. Taking something off of a website and refusing to sell something that you have already made does not make you lose focus on making something else.

So here is my question, what exactly do we disagree on? that it would make him more money? because that was the point that I was trying to make.

smile It's just my point of view pal it could be wrong whatever I accept any fact as long as I'm sharing my opinion freely.
Esenthel said many times before that he is no longer developing 1.0 so I guess he removed it because he can no longer support it
my point is how could you simply sell a product that you can't update anymore that's my only point on the other hand I agree that Esenthel editor 2 is losing a lot of fundamental features but they're all on the roadmap and it's about time then you'll have all you want !
P.S why would people bother developing their games on an editor which is no longer recommended by the leader developer of it
Best wishes .
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 01:44 PM by candam.)
12-03-2013 01:43 PM
Dalmat Offline

We are developing on 1.0. and we still hope for an update.. To go over to 2.0, we have to work for at least a month and that costs a lot. It costs 30 days + development costs...
Right now we can’t afford a stunt like that, maybe later.
As for the editor, 2.0 gives us lots of unnecessary stuff, and an encrypted file system, which we try to avoid.
I can live without particle editor, or animation editor, I still have not used it anyway, but once i start it will be done in other software.
So i still hope for 1.0 update, same as you guys.
12-03-2013 01:56 PM
Shatterstar Offline

I agree with Dalmat. there are a lot of people who are developing on 1.0. there are some aspects of 1.0 that people like better.
smile
Dalmat, I am like you...I am one of those people that made a project way too large to carry over into 1.0. the ironic thing of it is...I'm only licensed for 2.0. I've begged the Esenthel guy to let me buy a 1.0 license as well...but I'm ignored...or he just hasn't read any of my messages.
I would like to hear other community members' opinions on the matter. Should he put 1.0 back on store for a reduced price? would this be a good financial move for Esenthel? would some community members benefit from this?
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 02:38 PM by Shatterstar.)
12-03-2013 02:35 PM
cmontiel Offline

I agree with Dalmat, Pixel perfect, Shatterstar and laugan, same reasons.

- Already paid 1.0 license, why to pay again for almost same product (libs/headers) but multiplied x 12 (in my case)?.

- 1.0 converter and editor are very flexible. 2.0 forces to create projects to open a simple asset and has an encrypted system... I think those 2 things are a big block for any developer.

- Teaching ppl to work with a new editor at the end-line of a project would be totally counterproductive. I understand this is not an issue for new users.

So yes, waiting for 1.0 final version.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 04:31 PM by cmontiel.)
12-03-2013 02:42 PM
Dalmat Offline

Have patience, i am sure that esenthel has a soft hart smile and will listen to us.
But the time will come that we will abandon 1.0, and go to 2.0, we will do that once we start developing v2.0 of our software. (if we make it that far and we hope we will smile )
12-03-2013 03:00 PM
Rubeus Offline

(12-03-2013 02:42 PM)cmontiel Wrote:  2.0 forces to create projects to open a simple asset and has an encrypted system

This is one of the reasons he is leaving all editing of models and animation to external programs. If you keep the original file around(and backed up) like any respectable game programmer should, you will have no problems.
12-03-2013 08:08 PM
Shatterstar Offline

Thanks for keeping the conversation going guys. smile
12-03-2013 09:15 PM
cmontiel Offline

Rubeus, I am talking about Esenthel files/formats, .gfx, .mesh, .anim, .world, .mat, .phys, etc..

Not related with external programs. With 2.0 if you want to see a .gfx for example you need to create a project, and here comes the problem. When you and your team are opening a lot of files each day.

1.0 Editor works perfect in this sense.
12-03-2013 10:28 PM
Rofar Offline

I am on the side of the fence that thinks the direction forward should be 2.0. As soon as it became obvious that 2.0 was the preferred version to use I decided to go with it. Now, to be completely fair, my project was not at the point where it was a major undertaking to port it at that time but I do believe I would have taken the plunge even if it was. Porting a project from 1.0 to 2.0 shouldn't be that much of an issue. There could be some areas that require a bit of work but I can't imagine a port would take more than a week or two in any case.

As far as the tools that exist in 1.0 and do not in 2.0, I quickly learned to do without them and at this point I don't need them. I'll be happy to see some of the roadmap items implemented but I am not relying on them being done for my project.

Although I sympathize with (and partly understand) those of you that like 1.0, already have projects deep in development with 1.0, and want to keep working with 1.0, I think it is inevitable that you will eventually need to move to 2.0 if you want to take advantage of future engine enhancements. I would strongly weigh the risk of porting to 2.0 now versus waiting until your project is even further entrenched in 1.0.
12-03-2013 11:46 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Dear Esenthel 1.0 users, today I've released the last and final release of Esenthel 1.0, there will be no more updates to 1.0.
I recommend upgrading to 2.0 ASAP, as it is far superior.
It is unreasonable for some people to expect me to continue releasing updates to it, as 2.0 was released 14 months ago. More likely I should start thinking about plans for 3.0 instead of keeping up 1.0 pfft however that won't happen yet, as for now I'll work only on 2.0
I've explained many many times on the forums of its numerous benefits. There are still some users who prefer 1.0, however I believe that's only because they're more used to 1.0 workflow, however trust me when I say this, 2.0 is much better after you get to know it.
Once I finish adding Linux support, I'll try to make some more video tutorials about 2.0, to show you how easy it is to work with.
Please check this old video that I made, it shows all the basics needed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFVNx5VXzEo

Also I'd like to announce, that I was offering discounts for people upgrading from 1.0 to 2.0
having 1.0 Personal License, I'm offering 1 x Esenthel 2.0 license for half the price
having 1.0 Company License, I'm offering 2 x Esenthel 2.0 license for half the price
This promotion -ends- at the end of this year (at the end of December 2013).
Starting 2014, you will have to pay the full price to get 2.0 license.

Thank you!
12-04-2013 02:20 AM
knocks Offline

Thank you for the 1.0 update, i have never looked at 2.0 due to the licensing changes, but will give it a look over in the new year.
12-04-2013 03:42 AM
Fex Offline
Gold Supporter

Anyone else having trouble compiling with the final update? In the "Play" menu only "Clean" does anything, I also get no output in the "Build Result" window.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 06:44 AM by Fex.)
12-04-2013 06:41 AM