About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel Store open to everyone
Scarlet Thread Offline

RE: Esenthel Store open to everyone
(11-15-2013 10:05 AM)AndrewBGS Wrote:  A complete working PLAYER class. What esenthel provides is nice, BUT it lacks a lot of basics things like:
- fall damage
- swimming (on surface and underwater)
- smooth customizable animation container for character (let us easily add an use animations for things like hits, jumps, idle, swim, etc)
- removing glitches (such as when running up a ramp and then jump like a nascar car high in the sky with your character)

I do have my improvised solutions for all of these, but this is something I'd like to be done by a pro, because it's the part of the game that will be executed 95% of the time and it's very important to be done properly and efficiently.
The difficulty with this is that everyone's ideal player class is different and different games require a different type of player class. Not as simple as it seems smile

I'm thinking of making a character animation system that works off animation states and blend tree and make a visual editor for it to link into the EE editor. This could be easily integrated into any player class but wouldn't be a player class itself as it would only manage animation based on movement and other variables specified by the user.
11-15-2013 01:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndrewBGS Offline

Still sounds very useful.
However, isn't it basic enough not to launch the player off a slope when he runs, take falling damage, and swim? Sure there are games that don't do some of these things, but they still seem damn basic to me. And if you don't need them, disabling them can't be too hard. Making them however... that gave me a lot of trouble.
11-15-2013 02:17 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

If someone could do a full 'Foot Placement' (IK) locomotion system I'd pay good money for that.

Seriously ... I'd pay $150 for that, I just don't have the time (or probably the talent) to write something that complex!
11-15-2013 04:19 PM
scotty1121 Offline

(11-15-2013 02:17 PM)AndrewBGS Wrote:  Still sounds very useful.
However, isn't it basic enough not to launch the player off a slope when he runs, take falling damage, and swim? Sure there are games that don't do some of these things, but they still seem damn basic to me. And if you don't need them, disabling them can't be too hard. Making them however... that gave me a lot of trouble.

If i'm correct here you've even fixed how the jump will accelerate you while in mid air while setting a constant velocity, correct? If so, i'd definitely pay money for that.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2013 06:07 PM by scotty1121.)
11-15-2013 06:05 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

smile) Yeah, I'd pay for that too. No, the original post says I have some improvised solutions. I just tinkered with damping and gravity to get reasonably realistic effects, but for reasons I can't understand yet sometimes they still mess up. My best example is running around, stepping on a dropped item (shield) then jumping. That makes me jump about 10 meters high, somehow... (and normally that doesn't happen, if you were wondering)

We could use a new topic category on forum for requests such as these.
11-15-2013 06:11 PM
para Offline

(11-15-2013 04:19 PM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  If someone could do a full 'Foot Placement' (IK) locomotion system I'd pay good money for that.

Seriously ... I'd pay $150 for that, I just don't have the time (or probably the talent) to write something that complex!

I'm going to have another go at this in the near future, my previous attempts didn't amount to much, but I REALLY want a *good* locomotion system -for my current project but even more so for future endeavors.

I'd happily throw in another $150, towards a more general IK system, preferably one that's flexible, robust and easy to use, I'd also like to use it for proper hand placement.

@AndrewBGS
If you're an idealist, I don't know why you're even thinking about it in that way wink
11-16-2013 03:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
docrst Offline

I would pay for a weather system.
11-16-2013 06:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(11-15-2013 04:19 PM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  Seriously ... I'd pay $150 for that, I just don't have the time (or probably the talent) to write something that complex!
(11-16-2013 03:45 AM)para Wrote:  I'd happily throw in another $150, towards a more general IK system, preferably one that's flexible, robust and easy to use, I'd also like to use it for proper hand placement.
Really?
I've opened up a contribution for an IK tutorial http://www.esenthel.com/?id=store&item=36
However please note that it would support only up to 2 bones (so upper leg bone, and lower leg bone, but no foot)

In this tutorial I will render a character, and orient the leg (upper+lower bones) so the ankle aligns to the position of where the mouse cursor is.
11-16-2013 11:42 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Whilst an IK tutorial would be welcome that's not really what I was looking for. A 'Foot Placement' locomotion system would, by definition, require the foot bone to be aligned too (so needs to solve for at least three bones).

Essentially such a system would adjust the model using IK solutions to give reasonably realistic movement and placement of limbs whilst moving across varied geometry. An IK solver is an essential component however the solution requires substantially more than this as many have found out who have tried to implement one.
11-17-2013 09:42 AM
para Offline

An IK tutorial would certainly be helpful, although in my previous attempts I've gotten close to what you seem to offer in the tutorial, it would probably help me overcome some steps, but I'd still have a long way to go.

If you opened up a contribution for an Advanced Player Class that had improved locomotion with a solid foot placement system, IK controls for hands placement, maybe even a few simple free extras like head turning (look at point), offered as game object sources(that one can use it as is or customize/build upon as needed (for example combining it with what Scarlet Thread is proposing) I would be VERY interested in it. And having such a feature would certainly help engine sales (if marketed properly).
11-17-2013 04:35 PM
Ireheart Offline

I think the store needs to have tabs for assets (art\model, sound\music, code\resources etc) It's getting very crowded already and soon will be impossible to view. IT needs category per type or some kind of tags system per listing.
11-19-2013 12:59 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

@Ireheart: added

There has been a big upload of different Assets to the Store! smile
Please check them out.

Edit:
Oh right, also I've opened some new very cool contribution items. wink
11-20-2013 07:36 AM
Ireheart Offline

(11-20-2013 07:36 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  @Ireheart: added

There has been a big upload of different Assets to the Store! smile
Please check them out.

Edit:
Oh right, also I've opened some new very cool contribution items. wink

On the ball as usual Esenthel, although like you say, with the amount of assets being added, a search bar will be needed soon! smile
11-20-2013 12:33 PM
Shatterstar Offline

I just now heard about this...and this is awesome! I'm probably going to sell a few models for sure. smile thanks Grezegor! I believe this is a good direction for your company
11-20-2013 01:50 PM
Ireheart Offline

It's abit awkward not knowing who your buying the asset from on the store, there's no listings of who is selling what right now, i wouldn't mind seeing who i am buying what from in the store.
11-24-2013 02:03 AM