About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Newbie looking for feature assistance
Risen666 Offline

Newbie looking for feature assistance
hello community I am looking for assistance on the creation of certain features I have searched the web for video tutorials on how to do things but found very little that could help me if anyone knows a thread or code or anything that can help me please direct me to said thread/code/feature

I am trying to create my MMO as fast as i can and add the features I need as soon as possible

the features I am looking for to use in my Work in Progress MMO I shall list below

Detailed character creation:
Creating the character from head to toe including body skin clothing and more features such as class selection and race selection

Pet systems:

For pets such as warlock pets aka summoning types of creatures and for pets that are just called with a simple ability

These pets would also come in numbers a maximum of 9
They would be capable of attacking enemies defending a player or auto attacking nearby enemies within their sight radious
Some pets would require feeding and others would not because they are summoned

Spell System:

Basically Spells for mages warlocks and other spell casting classes

Auction House System:

The auction house would not allow you to sell gear with legendary, Rare, Epic, and other tags and would only allow you to sell your items for slightly above what the market NPC's would buy it for and no higher to prevent economy crashers and Item trolls who sell their items for ridiculous prices

Shop Systems"

Clothing
Armor
Weapons
Tattoos
Jewelry
Tabards

Most of these would allow more customization for the players. and offer some gear to be used to better player stats

Food Systems:

every player once in a while needs to eat and drink not only should this feature provide that but also offer certain items that the player can use but with a price of addiction such as cigars pipes and alcoholic drinks followed by other substances such as coffee and more

Book System:

The books will eventually help the player in a quest or increase their skills once completely read

Player Housing System:

Gives a player a chance to buy a house that the player can customize and even lock or unlock their doors

Bank System:

This will hold gold for safe keeping and 9 bag slots for items

Ship Sailing System:

If i can find this I plan to add ships that you can buy and customize plus use to sail to other islands of the world

Lock Picking, stealing and jail System:

For NPC houses only you can open their home door or window hop in and steal items to make some quick cash but it may cost you some time in the slammer only way to get out is to either wait for 4 in game hours (1 minute in real time is 5 minutes in game) or have a friend bust you out

when you get caught stealing a town guard comes after the player and attacks him/her until their health is at 15% health or lower then they go in the slammer

Civilian NPC Curfew System:

At 9:30 PM in game Civilians NPC's head home and lock their doors and windows

Faction System:

I intend to have 4 factions each having 9 races only races of their faction are considered friendly any race outside their faction are considered enemies or hostile targets
04-14-2014 06:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

RE: Newbie looking for feature assistance
So...you want assistance with everything but basic movement? And you want a set of features for your WIP that most don't have in their games that they have been working on for months or even years? As soon as possible might be in a few years. Your ideas sound cool, but you are asking for a heckuva lot.
04-14-2014 07:13 AM
Houge Offline

(04-14-2014 06:02 AM)Risen666 Wrote:  I am trying to create my MMO as fast as i can and add the features I need as soon as possible
Is it really necessary to do it fast?

Am I right to say that you have an idea and you are looking for c++ developers and 3d modellers?
04-14-2014 07:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

Sorry to say this, but try starting out by creating "pong".

You're asking for video tutorials and some tips on how to build an entire apartment.

I'll just leave this here: http://sol.gfxile.net/mmorpg.html
04-14-2014 07:43 AM
Risen666 Offline

when I say as soon as possible I mean within a 4 year time limit Thats what i forgot to say. my bad... I am not trying to get everything done within a few days because that would be very illogical and unreasonable to ask for a full scale MMORPG to be made within a few days

I am just looking for the direction for me to be pointed in so I may try to add these features
04-14-2014 08:12 AM
Houge Offline

I think the best direction would be buying Esenthel MMO and Esenthel RPG 2 source codes. You will understand how things should be made.
04-14-2014 08:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nito Vermilion Offline

I suggest you set up a game design document or at least something like a very detailed roadmap of what has to be done in which way.

What I am missing are the fundamentals of your game like:

What combat system you want to use - tab-targeting or free targeting as well as the corresponding character stats and how the engine respective client - server - combination handle the combat (process it like physical collision or write something on your own like Tera).

The next thing is: what is your game about? PvE or PvP or both? or something completely else?

For PvE you need an AI System, while for PvP you need to balance out the character classes and races.

What brings me to the next point: Balance in general.

You should start out and work out a concept for this balancing since this is a major point. As well as get started with character stats and the functions which handle Damage Calculation, etc.

What I suggest (I am doing it that way) - do a concept game. This game features everything the game has to have without the additional content. IF you got the very basic game engine done you can build everything in it.

But as I said initially - set up a roadmap. Otherwise you lose your view over the project.

If you ask for specific features (idk, AI.Spawn, GUI Implementation, etc.) we can help you more. I mean I am building up a concept game for an MMORPG so maybe we can exchange some code snippets

For reference buy Esenthel RPG and Esenthel MMO. Ineisis is a bit too much for the beginning but also a very good one.

N.V.

Addition:

for a pet system look at the game "Rappelz" It features pets in a very good variety so yeah.
http://rappelz.wikia.com/wiki/Rappelz_Wiki

At this wiki you can find many examples for stats, damage calculation, etc.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 08:36 AM by Nito Vermilion.)
04-14-2014 08:27 AM
Risen666 Offline

I see thank you for your comments I will do what I can to get better at my scripting and focus on my goals for the game.

my only problem now is model storage I have at least 67 3D models that were ready to use in the game but I am going to wait and plan ahead
04-14-2014 08:33 AM
Tottel Offline

How much programming experience do you have though? If the answer is "Not much", then just forget about making an MMO. And I'm not kidding you. You can't just shrug this advice away as if you'll succeed anyway. You won't find tutorials for the features you're looking for. And asking for some tips is really an understatement. There are people on these forums who are devoting their life to creating an MMO and they can probably tell you how hard it is, even with 5 to 10 years (or more) of programming experience.

Quote:There is no such tutorial like “how to make an MMO”
If there was and it was valid, it would make history. Even much simpler single player games cannot have a real tutorial because the amount of work, knowledge and experience that goes into them is absolutely massive and simply cannot be effectively communicated in the form of text.
04-14-2014 08:34 AM
Risen666 Offline

Wish me luck I just pray I can get my scripting perfected before I turn age 25 in the next 2 years
04-14-2014 08:36 AM
Tottel Offline

I do wish you luck. smile

You can learn a lot of things, and get really good at programming. Just set your goals realistically by starting out small. Understand the basics of programming before moving on, and keep practising. It might not feel like massive progress, but after a while, you'll suddenly realize that you've gotten a lot better at what you do.
04-14-2014 08:39 AM
Nito Vermilion Offline

well with Esenthel you see the progress very fast.

What I started with was getting a custom model into a world and let AI handle things like birds flying when character is getting closer, spawning and despawning monsters, etc.

With that you got a very basic idea of how your game looks like visually
04-14-2014 08:46 AM