About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Poll: Please let me know your thoughts on the SOURCE License Subscription
I can't/won't subscribe at all
I'd like to subscribe, however only if the price was a bit cheaper (199$/year)
I'd like to subscribe, however only if the price was a bit cheaper (299$/year)
I'd like to subscribe, however only if the price was a bit cheaper (399$/year)
The price is fair, I'm going to subscribe soon / I'm already subscribed
The price is not a problem at all, I could even pay a bit more
I don't need source, I'm totally OK with just the binary
[Show Results]

Esenthel Source License Subscription
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Esenthel Source License Subscription
I would greatly appreciate if everyone could make their votes (this poll is anonymous).
This poll is about SOURCE license.

If you don't really need source code, but wouldn't mind having it if it was at a smaller price, then please select 2 options at the same time (this is a multi-option poll):
-I don't need source, I'm totally OK with just the binary
-and another option with the price
04-08-2014 01:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
candam Offline

RE: Esenthel Source License Subscription
I'd like to subscribe, however only if the price was a bit cheaper (199$/year)
is this for the source code ? am I getting it alright ?
04-08-2014 01:32 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi, yes, thank you for your feedback, this is the Source Poll, and here is the Binary Poll - http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=7640
(if your answer is exactly like on the poll, then you can just click the checkbox and click "vote", no need to make your own post here wink )
04-08-2014 01:38 AM
candam Offline

Quite frankly there is nothing that get's people who (have version 2 ) to purchase the subscription for a reason they don't get an added features right now but to the new comers this is a very impressing offer if they would have application for as little as 15$
but the new source code license is really amazing if it goes down because it will let us contribute to the engine and make it better (more hands are always better than one hand)
My best wishes
Cheers !
04-08-2014 01:41 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Yes I understand that the binary for the new license has just 1 set of updates (1 release) since the time of 2.0 license, but this will improve over time.

The main highlight was the Source License with brand new pricing like you've noticed wink
04-08-2014 01:43 AM
candam Offline

Yes I know that you have a lot to introduce and you have the skills for it . It's about time I hope make the best decision with taking into consideration your user base suggestions because we're here thinking about the best for the engine just like you smile
I'm pretty sure the new system has a lot of pros for Both the users and you as a creator
but it needs some modification and the best thing is you're actually started a poll to take community opinion You've got my respect for that smile
Cheers Greg!
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 01:50 AM by candam.)
04-08-2014 01:49 AM
gwald Offline

(04-08-2014 03:41 AM)aceio76 Wrote:  This is highly my perspective, and I like awesome deals like any other person, but I'm just under the impression that if the cost of this licensing gets too low, folks who aren't *that* committed to Esenthel can get in and potentially do more harm to the source than good. My initial thoughts for this is that the price should be somewhat of a limiting/filtering factor to who gets source access. I'm just torn about this subscription cost getting too low but at the same time I'm happy that Esenthel is considering to lower it even more. Please don't hate me for saying this smile I'm just being fair to all parties.

I would disagree.. generally the more people looking at the code the greater the chance of getting fixes/features submitted, more time Greg can focus on important issues.
Ultimately Greg, will be in control.

Also, as a novice the code is most useful for understanding (ie documentation).
No more "what does xyz do?" or "why doesn't abc do this?" questions.. just step into the code and see wink

Edit: I guess you don't want to over complicate your licenses, if you do sell the code the lower $199pa then there's no point to the binary yearly (monthly only), and you would get a lot of the V2 license to upgrade!

Edit2: and why over charge the people your hoping to make contributions?
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 09:16 AM by gwald.)
04-08-2014 08:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
candam Offline

(04-08-2014 03:41 AM)aceio76 Wrote:  This is highly my perspective, and I like awesome deals like any other person, but I'm just under the impression that if the cost of this licensing gets too low, folks who aren't *that* committed to Esenthel can get in and potentially do more harm to the source than good. My initial thoughts for this is that the price should be somewhat of a limiting/filtering factor to who gets source access. I'm just torn about this subscription cost getting too low but at the same time I'm happy that Esenthel is considering to lower it even more. Please don't hate me for saying this smile I'm just being fair to all parties.

Greg will actually have the ultimate control don't forget this source code is copyrighted material !
Don't forget also most main AAA engines are offering their source code via the subscription

This is the future pal smile
04-08-2014 11:55 AM
Nito Vermilion Offline

Since I do not need the source code anytime soon I will skip buying it for sometime. However if the version was cheaper, let's say $300 per year or so I'd consider buying the source code version over the binary version.

I mean if you look at the unreal engine 4 for $20/month you wouldn't be that far with the $25.
04-08-2014 01:00 PM
Rubeus Offline

I brought up the point of having the source as a 1 time higher cost-something like $500. The idea was then that access to the source would be available for as long as there was an active binary subscription. I would be fine with this, but if I'm paying yearly/monthly for the source itself, I would request it be a lower price.
04-08-2014 06:15 PM
para Offline

I don't really need the source, but I would get it if it was a bit cheaper.

I STRONGLY advise you to offer a cheap binary + editor only source license option for indies. And loose the subscription...

~200$ for binary + editor source, 1 year, per seat, unlimited license (meaning you get one years worth of updates and after that you unlock the binary/editor, while moving on to work on a "new" version). This model is I think a great compromise for everybody involved. It still kinda works like a subscription, only that it's not enforced, so the user gets his "grace" period, he can save up some money and doesn't need to upgrade right away. The thing is, If you put us against a stone wall after a year then we are forced to evaluate the situation and perhaps look at other options, if you just let us continue working on our project, we will eventually come around for another year worth of updates, your continued and dedicated support is whats probably the most important thing for most of us EE users.

You should seriously also work on a licensing plan for bigger teams, and for big companies. The monthly subscription could be viewed more like a financing option, so you can pay in installments rather then in full. You need to be more flexible IMO..
04-08-2014 07:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply