About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Surfing Simulation Project
3DRaddict Offline

Surfing Simulation Project
I've made some headway in porting my Surfing Simulation project over to Esenthel.
Its not been too easy... I've had to build a custom shader for the wave lipfoam , figure out the realtime animation of the wave mesh, and spend a good few hours understanding how to apply the Esenthel "WaterMaterial" to my Ocean plane "WaterMesh".
Still a looong way to go still, but here's a quick vid of the basic wave in action:

08-28-2014 05:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rofar Offline

RE: Surfing Simulation Project
Looks pretty good so far!
08-28-2014 10:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

I would like to apply a "Sum of Sines" modulation to the EE WaterMesh object which comprises my ocean plane. Is there a method of accomplishing this, as I cannot at the moment see any means of accesssing the vertices of the EE WaterMesh object?
09-02-2014 09:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gdalex Offline

The wave looks nice smile
09-02-2014 02:11 PM
3DRaddict Offline

Thanks... although I can't say the same about the surrounding ocean. It was hastily thrown together... the bump and rough settings for the EE WaterMaterial are too high,as well as the UV movement. The WaterMaterial has enough parameters, and with some twigging I'm sure I can get a better look. However, as mentioned in my previous post, the surrounding EE WaterMesh itself remains a problem for me. It seems to remain as a flat plane, and I want to get it to be more "oceanlike" with a variable "rise and fall" swell
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 05:31 PM by 3DRaddict.)
09-02-2014 05:30 PM
Pherael Offline

Why don't you create your own ocean mesh, and then render it in RM_WATER mode? I didn't try this, but something similar was talking about in this thread: http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...erMaterial
09-02-2014 05:47 PM
3DRaddict Offline

Thank you, Pherael. I had read that thread... very similar to what I'm trying to accomplish. However, before pursueing that line further, I wanted to be sure that there was no current way of manipulating the EE WaterMesh object itself. I was hoping that Esenthel would enlighten me on that.
09-02-2014 06:04 PM
Rubeus Offline

The watermesh is set up specifically to use a water shader. If you want to manually manipulate the mesh, it would probably be better to create your own water class.

Otherwise, because you have the source, you could just add a meshr() function to return a non-const version of the MeshRender object - I'm not sure how effective this will be, though.
MeshRender & meshr ( ) {return _mshr ;}
You will probably need to copy the transforms to _mshb, as well, if you want things like Under() to match your custom changes.
09-03-2014 09:51 AM
3DRaddict Offline

Quote:The watermesh is set up specifically to use a water shader

Yeah, Rubeus, I thought that might be the case.

Quote:If you want to manually manipulate the mesh, it would probably be better to create your own water class.

Looks like that's the route I'll have to take, although I'm not too keen in going in that direction (I'm no water shader expert), when there is already a perfectly good water shader available in EE. I must just figure out how to apply it to my deformable mesh

I'll push on and see how far I getsmile
09-03-2014 10:46 AM
3DRaddict Offline

Progressed a little further...

I've added my own ocean mesh, deformed using the "Sum of Sines" wave algorithm.
Just a plain texture at this stage...no fancy lighting or water effects. I'm mainly concerned with getting the wave mechanics correct for now. All the foaming, fresnel effects, reflectance/refraction can wait until I can get hold of (or manufacture) a good water shader.

Here's a couple of quick videos of what I have so far:

Only allowed one video per message... so the other video follows in next message

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 08:42 AM by 3DRaddict.)
09-04-2014 08:41 AM
Pherael Offline

Have you considered to sell this as libary? Would be nice to have realistic waves in own project smile
09-04-2014 09:08 AM
SamerK Offline

impressive work.
09-04-2014 01:06 PM
3DRaddict Offline

Quote:Have you considered to sell this as libary? Would be nice to have realistic waves in own project

Sorry, Pherael, these are the birth pangs of a game I've had in my head for a long time now. As such, I will not be selling anything until I have a final product (if all goes well!)smile
I will, however, keep this thread updated as things progress.
09-04-2014 05:06 PM
Rubeus Offline

(09-04-2014 05:06 PM)3DRaddict Wrote:  
Quote:Have you considered to sell this as libary? Would be nice to have realistic waves in own project

Sorry, Pherael, these are the birth pangs of a game I've had in my head for a long time now. As such, I will not be selling anything until I have a final product (if all goes well!)smile
I will, however, keep this thread updated as things progress.

At the rate you've been going, that should be what, 6-7 weeks? pfft
09-04-2014 10:02 PM
3DRaddict Offline

With what I have in mind,more like 6-7 months !
09-05-2014 07:44 AM