About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Google Cardboard
yvanvds Offline

Google Cardboard
Hey Greg,

did you ever think of supporting Google Cardboard? (http://www.google.com/get/cardboard/ ) Since you've already done Oculus Rift, it might be easy to implement. And right now there's only unity support, so you might get mentioned on the dev page.

The way I see it, cardboard is a lot more interesting than oculus. It's a lot cheaper, you don't get entangled in wires (improved mobility) and the resolution is as good as your smartphone's screen.

It's not something I really need, but I thought it might be to your advantage.

Regards,

yvan
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015 01:26 PM by yvanvds.)
02-25-2015 01:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Google Cardboard
Thanks for the idea, don't need it that much either, but added to the roadmap anyway smile

The downside of cardboard is that you'd really need some Bluetooth controller to make interactive games. And probably not many phones could handle stereoscopic rendering with distortion correction shader at 60 fps, anything below that will contribute to motion sickness smile
02-25-2015 10:57 PM
yvanvds Offline

RE: Google Cardboard
A Bluetooth controller is one solution. Now that you mention it, this is probably why they also have models with a leap motion mount. But it's really a matter of being creative. I tried one on a festival a few weeks back and there the interactivity was done with looking at certain spots for a few seconds.

For example there were a few footsteps and a stop sign on the floor. If you stared for two seconds at the footsteps, you started moving and you'd be able to control the direction by rotating your head. Some objects had labels like 'pick me up' which were activated again by staring at them.

It worked pretty neat and I really didn't have any issues with motion sickness.

Just to say, being creative is the key. The oculus also needs an interface somehow, and if it's not Bluetooth, you'll end up with even more wires.
02-26-2015 01:11 PM