About Store Forum Documentation Contact

SmartBody
Zervox Offline
Legacy License Owner

SmartBody
Homepage
Sourceforge

Quote:SmartBody is a character animation platform that provides the following capabilities in real time:
* Locomotion (walk, jog, run, turn, strafe, jump, etc.)
* Steering - avoiding obstacles and moving objects
* Object manipulation - reach, grasp, touch , pick up objects
* Lip Syncing - characters can speak with simultaneous lip-sync using text-to-speech or prerecorded audio
* Gazing - robust gazing behavior that incorporates various parts of the body
* Nonverbal behavior - gesturing, head nodding and shaking, eye saccades
- Online and offline retargeting of motion
- Automatic skinning and rigging

Found this a very interesting library, its under LGPL license and possibility of getting special tailored license on contact from what I gathered from the webpage.

Overall, looking at the videos etc, looks like a really well developed autonomous behavior library, in fact it is probably amongst the best I've seen.

I'd really like to see an integration kit for this with Esenthel.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2015 05:01 PM by Zervox.)
04-25-2015 05:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Source Licensee

RE: SmartBody
Devs focusing on not just the PC/Mac platform will love this, and even more if it's supported within Esenthel.
04-25-2015 06:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline
Legacy License Owner

Agreed, a nice find and thanks for bringing it to our attention!

This looks to be quite sophisticated and very comprehensive and offers a lot of key features for modern game implementation. I especially like the lip sync with auto gesture system and the steering system looks effective too. The animation and retargeting tools look to be very well developed.

I wonder how much of a learning curve is needed to use this effectively and how much work would be involved in integrating it.

I'd love to see a post by a game dev team that have integrated this and are using it ... for some real 'hands on' feedback
04-25-2015 06:44 PM
aceio76 Offline
Source Licensee

For those with source access, this is possible now if the desire to play with it is sooner. From an Esenthel roadmap perspective though, this covers a few of the bulletpoints all in one shot.
04-25-2015 07:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline
Legacy License Owner

Having looked at this in a bit more detail the general interface doesn't look dissimilar to the EKIOne interface I've already integrated.

Essentially the SmartBody engine would run its own simulation and pass creation, deletion, update and event information to the game engine which would need to respond to these.

The real difference would be the level of control, in Smart Body their simulation would be updated every frame having passed any character behaviour instructions / environment info to it and then the game engine would iterate through the character collection extracting each skeleton and each joints position and orientation data. This would then be applied to each of the equivalent game engine character's skeleton reproducing the animation.

The API would probably have to be applied as either a dynamically linked library or via a separate process using their bonebus interface (tcp/ip) in order to comply with the LGPL license and maintain the separation of code.

However, although I've not carried out an exhaustive search yet, I've failed so far to find any detailed feedback of how well this works in practice from anyone using it in a real game ... which I'd need to see before I considered putting a lot of work into something like this!
04-27-2015 12:25 PM