About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Small License Change and Esenthel is now on Steam
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Small License Change and Esenthel is now on Steam
First I'd like to mention a small license change, previously the engine was free for non-commercial use, however that's no longer the case.
http://www.esenthel.com/?id=doc#License
If you'd like to use Esenthel Engine, for working on either commercial or non-commercial apps, then you need to have a license, so please subscribe! You help making the engine better!

And now for the big news.. Esenthel is now on STEAM!
It got accepted today:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/366530
For now I've released a Windows version, to see how it goes, after a while I will consider putting Mac/Linux version too.
Valve doesn't allow Steam Apps having in-app stores, so Esenthel Steam Edition doesn't have built-in "Esenthel Store" functionality, plus I don't get 100% income from sales through Steam, so I'd appreciate if you stick to your purchases made through Esenthel Store.

Last news is, as always I'm working heavily on new additions, Source Licensees can already see Steam API support in the Beta branch (micro transactions, subscriptions, etc.)
Plus I'm working on Animation system improvement, I've added a system that automatically detects bones and categorizes Skeleton Bones into types such as BONE_HEAD, BONE_NECK, BONE_SPINE, BONE_UPPER_ARM, etc. This will make easier universal access for bone types across different bone naming conventions.
05-01-2015 12:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline
Legacy License Owner

RE: Small License Change and Esenthel is now on Steam
First of all, congratulations.

But then why do you display the engine as being free on Steam? Apparently, you can't do anything with the free version then. :x
05-01-2015 06:39 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

The "Free" on Steam means that you can download it free of charge and evaluate if the engine fits your needs.
05-01-2015 07:43 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline
Legacy License Owner

Congratulations on the Steam release, I hope this brings about increased revenue and more interest in this great engine smile
05-01-2015 11:25 AM
panz3r Offline
Legacy License Owner

Congratulation for the Steam release. I hope the community will grow a lot.

Would help if you would make a video coding tutorial for a basic(but something more than just displaying hello world) project to have people started.
05-01-2015 01:29 PM
RedcrowProd Offline
Binary Licensee

gratz on this smile

i believe panz3r, this is up to the community to help build esenthel !

he should be focusing into improving the engine and stick to that atm.

there's peeps that are already doing great tuto wink

maybe Tutorials should have their own main forum ( not just in Making Games ) just for better visibility and noob friendly access wink
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2015 08:06 PM by RedcrowProd.)
05-02-2015 08:03 PM
SamNainocard Offline
Binary Licensee

Congratz on Steam Release, but I think someone is misunderstanding over Steam right now.
I'm looking forward to new animation system.
05-03-2015 03:12 AM
Argoon Offline

Congrats on being on steam but you are not being lucky with the reviews right now.
05-03-2015 04:45 PM
aceio76 Offline
Source Licensee

Unfortunately those comments are not a surprise, especially because it's Steam.
05-03-2015 04:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panz3r Offline
Legacy License Owner

(05-02-2015 08:03 PM)RedcrowProd Wrote:  gratz on this smile

i believe panz3r, this is up to the community to help build esenthel !

he should be focusing into improving the engine and stick to that atm.

there's peeps that are already doing great tuto wink

maybe Tutorials should have their own main forum ( not just in Making Games ) just for better visibility and noob friendly access wink

What good is an engine if you can;t figure out how to use it. The engine is good enough already. Some video tutorials for coding something is what is missing.
05-03-2015 05:08 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I think I've figured out the reason for the negative reviews.
-The engine is free to download, so literally anyone can write a review
-With other apps paid to download, you can write a review only after buying it (unless I'm mistaken), well if you buy it, then it must mean that you like it already to some degree if you're willing to spend money on it, so your opinion is most likely positive about it, and chance for a good review are much higher
-Steam has a big audience, so the amount of "trolls" is much bigger

But yeah it's a shame no one wrote a positive review so far.

PS. judging from Steam Stats site, yesterday I've got my first sale (monthly binary) on Steam, so woo-hoo! first customer haha
05-03-2015 10:52 PM
SamNainocard Offline
Binary Licensee

(05-03-2015 10:52 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  I think I've figured out the reason for the negative reviews.
-The engine is free to download, so literally anyone can write a review
-With other apps paid to download, you can write a review only after buying it (unless I'm mistaken), well if you buy it, then it must mean that you like it already to some degree if you're willing to spend money on it, so your opinion is most likely positive about it, and chance for a good review are much higher
-Steam has a big audience, so the amount of "trolls" is much bigger

But yeah it's a shame no one wrote a positive review so far.

PS. judging from Steam Stats site, yesterday I've got my first sale (monthly binary) on Steam, so woo-hoo! first customer haha

Yes, everyone can review a free app or game by just install it, while paid one need to purchase first before reviewing.
And congratz on first customer.
05-04-2015 03:39 AM
andrake Offline

i think that Esenthel is most specific(special) engine, when work with it first time i think - hm ..this works ...and this works too without any problem that was in other engines....ok will try to make soemthink more interested and..
uff there is not works, so..not works ..not works...ok will see tutorials - uff i should make it so.. strange way..but it works. really there is specific ways to solve typical problems for engines and when user see this first time - it looks very strange...but 1,2 year later when user understand concept - user think ...ooo this is good enough ..why i don't like this early. also there is not enought flexibility when user try to use some framework elements(for example - in tutorials - when we emulate hitting - there is nly one way to do it - there is no space for experiment but sometimes user want only binary with very wide framework) .
Gratulacje dla pierwszego klienta!
05-13-2015 06:02 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline
Legacy License Owner

Just a few personal observations/comments on the Steam presentation.

I know Tottel had already raised this but I felt having visited Steam again today it's worth raising again.

If I do a search on Steam for Game Engines this is a screenshot of the returned page including the Esenthel Engine:

As this will be the first thing many people seeking a game engine on Steam will see ... the prominent description of FREE is a huge marketing mistake in my opinion, as we know the engine is not FREE, only the downloadable evaluation package! This has already resulted in some negative reviews and those red reviews always have impact on people browsing for software rightly or wrongly!

Why not be up front about the cost and simply have a prominent section on the Esenthel Product Page explaining there is a free downloadable evaluation package. I know it is currently detailed but this appears after the Download button and not surprisingly many people will not even get that far!

Granted, some of the negative reviews are ridiculous as anyone claiming to have evaluated the engine within a couple of hours and found it wanting is clearly stating a lot more about their own inabilities than that of the engine's! Whilst you can never stop people doing this you can stop potential new customers getting the wrong impression before they have even got to the Product page.
05-13-2015 03:37 PM
CreativeOcclusion Offline

maybe you should call it "Free Demo" everyone knows what that is...
05-13-2015 05:34 PM