About Store Forum Documentation Contact

A change of direction
Zervox Offline

RE: A change of direction
Yes, actually you can. wink
Microsoft can say what they want that it is required to update Win10, but in actuality they can't do anything about it regardless of what agreement I might've signed because it breaks with multiple Norwegian privacy and user protection laws.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 05:35 PM by Zervox.)
12-15-2015 05:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

Because of my recent problem with the Windows 10 update preventing me from working in Debug mode I've abandoned the DXUT framework.
I've started afresh using the framework provided in the "Rastertek DirectX 11 and HLSL Tutorials" site. These are an excellent set of tutorials for anyone wanting to understand the ins and outs of DirectX and HLSL.
This has been a very time-consuming project thus far, but I'm exceedingly glad that I have reached this stage and feel that
I am now "my own boss" in proceeding forward.

This little video shows a rendition of reflection and refraction on calm lagoon water. I've slightly submerged my standard skull and pillars, added some terrain, and a little swimming duckie just for fun!

I will now be concentrating on roughening the water up with some displacement mapping, and adding depth dependent transparency and foam at the shoreline.

01-10-2016 11:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

(01-10-2016 11:23 AM)3DRaddict Wrote:  ...
This has been a very time-consuming project thus far, but I'm exceedingly glad that I have reached this stage and feel that I am now "my own boss" in proceeding forward.

Full Kudos to you for persevering with this, must be a great feeling to have reached this stage.

Looking forward to the water enhancements, the current rendition is already looking impressive!
01-11-2016 12:35 PM
3DRaddict Offline

Thanks, Pixel... coming from you that is encouragement indeed!

As long as I can proceed at 3 steps forward and 2 steps backward I'll be happy smile
01-11-2016 02:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

I've reached my second milestone after a hard, but rewarding, uphill battle with many stops and starts along the way.
I now have a handle on most of my water requirements and a bag of basic tools that I can understand and use.
I think it is now time to leave my lakeside environment and move on to the beach where that glorious surfing ocean
and a new set of challenges await me.

For interest, here is a pic of my very basic editor (its crude, but gets the job done!)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2104...tScene.png

The scene is toggled to wireframe to show the tessellation of the water plane.
The small debug windows along the top show, from left:
1) The DisplacementMap Texture render target, derived from realtime Perlin noise.
2) The NormamalMap Texture render target, derived from the Displacement Map.
3) The Refraction Texture render target, which is the scene from the camera view, but clipped above the water plane.
4) The Reflection Texture render target, which is the scene from the camera reflected view, and clipped below the water plane.
5) The Depth Texture, which is the greyscale scene from the camera view, used for foam and transparency effects.

As mentioned in a previous post, I use AntTweakBar as my means of tweaking the various shader parameters.

Here is a video of the tweaked scene, without all the clutter:

01-26-2016 08:44 AM
georgatos7 Offline

That's some really nice progress you have done there, it's really inspiring and informative. I follow this thread with great interest for quite some time now.
01-28-2016 10:48 PM
3DRaddict Offline

Thanks, georgatos7.

This has been an obsession of mine for a long time now... its only with the recent advances in DirectX and its ease of use, as well as the vast store of relevent information on the Net, that I find myself making some progress at last. smile

I try to share what I am doing, so that others with a similar interest can follow my footsteps.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 04:48 AM by 3DRaddict.)
01-29-2016 04:41 AM
3DRaddict Offline

The next stage of my project is to ensure I can produce a smooth ocean swell.
I decided to make use of Gerstner waves for this, as they are easily tweakable and I am also familiar with them from my work on my Esenthel 'Surfing Simulation' project.
In the Esenthel project I was unable to add a secondary rippled surface to reflect the global environment (i.e. the sky and sunshine specular).
However, here I have had some success in this regard. I have been able to merge an animated, tileable Perlin Noise displacement map and its normal map as a surface texture for the Gerstner wave.
This has not been easy, and I'v done constant re-hashing over the last two weeks... I think if nothing else, I've become an expert tweaker!grin There are so many variables involved, and you just have to hit the right combination.

Here is a video of some tweaks being applied to my basic ocean swell scene. I've left it in wireframe mode while tweaking, so you can see the tesselation which I hope will help me, at a later stage, to nicely shape the actual surfing breaking wave. You'll notice that the framerate is holding at 60, and the CPU usage is still low.The final, somewhat jerky, camera rotation (purely due to me tapping the 'rotate' key) at the end has the wireframe mode toggled off.

This ocean zone I'm in at the moment is where the smooth unbroken surfing wave starts to peak, prior to it breaking and heading for the beach (hopefully carrying a surfer doing his thing). The next zone I'm going to concentrate on is the beach zone, which looks at the area where the ocean water ends up on the beach and rocks. So the essentials here are foam and transparency.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2016 08:34 AM by 3DRaddict.)
02-06-2016 10:21 PM
3DRaddict Offline

A couple more videos demonstrating some features of Gerstner waves.

The 1st video shows how by increasing the amplitude, the peak of the wave will sharpen, dependant on the steepness setting of the wave.
This is unique to Gerstner waves... a normal sine wave remains rounded at the top, irrespective of amplitude.

The coloring on the waves is some text written on a helper texture which I've plastered on the wave mesh to keep me orientated.

The 2nd video shows the effect (much exaggerated for demo purposes) of superimposing a number of Gerstner waves with different settings.

Ok, time to stop playing and get on with building a Beach Zone.wink
02-07-2016 01:23 PM
3DRaddict Offline

I've been spending quite a bit of time fixing some bugs in my wave/water shader.
I had found the reflectance/refraction to be rather harsh and not subtle enough, which I eventually pinned down to mixed up reflect and view vectors.
I changed my skymap to a more gently colored one, since the large amount of white cloud in the previous one was causing blinding specular reflection on the ocean surface and interfering with the tweaking process.
I'm now in the Beach Zone experimenting with creating foam for the already broken waves as they head for the beach.The beach at this early stage is just a large sloping flattish plane built from a heightmap. The slope is neccessary for me to enable the creation of foam as the water depth decreases towards the beach. The heightmap provides my wave/water shader with the neccessary height/depth info which is required.
As can be seen in this pic, there are a rather large number of tweaks required to a reasonably good looking ocean water surface.

[Image: EnvironmentAndFoamTweaks.png]

The video shows a flat ocean with some foamy wavelets hitting the beach.

The quality of the video is not the best...I'm still experimenting with various free video capture software suitable for use with Windows 10.
02-14-2016 10:44 PM
RedcrowProd Offline

hey! like usual, interesting stuff ! smile

video is private tho =o
02-14-2016 11:46 PM
3DRaddict Offline

Thks.

Quote:video is private tho

? not sure I understand ?
02-15-2016 05:01 AM
Tottel Offline

We can't see the video because it's been set to private. smile
02-15-2016 06:44 AM
3DRaddict Offline

Thanks, Tottel (I learn something new every day!)

I'm sure it was public... but I've reset it to public, so please let me know if you can now access it.
02-15-2016 08:03 AM
3DRaddict Offline

Quote:Have you tried the built-in capturing with Win10?

Yes, aceio76, I have been using it very successfully until a few days ago, when it suddenly started giving me the message "There's nothing to record. Play some more and try again" I tried again many times, with no success. This was happening when I was running my project app as a window, so I tried just now doing a full screen capture... and it worked. What I did not like was that there was no indication that it was actually recording.
02-15-2016 02:09 PM