About Store Forum Documentation Contact

The ROOM
georgatos7 Offline

The ROOM
[Image: The_ROOM.png]

I recently resumed with the shader experimenting, and i just wanted to try my glow shader within a real case scenario other than the typical black background tests, so i created a simple scene. After running a few tests with a fly through camera it still felt a bit empty and void of purpose so i added more functionality like a custom character controller, arms with IK and a single objective smile.

The scene i ended up with includes mostly custom made models (except the arms and the walkie talkie) and has baked lighting done with blender to improve the feel of realism. Also all the models have custom shaders so that they can support light sources over the full ambient lighting.

All the features used (shaders, IK, character controller, etc) are wip and nothing is currently finalized. I also do not own any of the rights of the sound effects and this project is solely done for educational and experimenting purposes.

If you are interested to try it out you can download it for free.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ih9pqk7ns7yiw...M.rar?dl=0

Edit: Hey just to avoid straining you guys w/o any obvious reason if you try it out, i'll just state that you don't necessarily need to decode any morse messages to complete the objective...
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 07:18 PM by georgatos7.)
11-29-2015 06:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: The ROOM
Downloading now, I'm very curious. smile

Edit: Tested it; this is amazing.
Your IK system is really cool, but sometimes a little bit hard to use (like on the lever), you need to stand at the right distance and angle.
I really like how the radio works, and your puzzle is also nicely done. I couldn't complete it yet, because I couldn't turn up the volume.
Will try again later. smile
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 06:22 PM by Tottel.)
11-29-2015 06:11 PM
RedcrowProd Offline

i'm at work, but i'll def. check it out later on wink
11-29-2015 06:15 PM
Ezequel Offline

That looks very good! smile
By the way, really a cool effect with the title/letters fading out at the start.
11-29-2015 06:33 PM
georgatos7 Offline

Nice thanks for taking the time to try this out.

And indeed the sound effect level is quite low but ye i was a bit bored to go and change them back up hehe. Also the letter animation is one of the title dissolve blender tuts that can be found around the net if anyone is interested.
11-29-2015 06:48 PM
Zervox Offline

I suck at morse code and I hate you for it(in a good way), spent along time to complete that part. wink
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 06:52 PM by Zervox.)
11-29-2015 06:49 PM
Tottel Offline

Yeah, I hate that morse code part too. I know there's a slight delay between the letters, but honestly, I'm not hearing it.
11-29-2015 06:52 PM
georgatos7 Offline

Hey just to avoid straining you guys w/o any obvious reason if you try it out, i'll just state that you don't necessarily need to decode any morse messages to complete the objective... pfft
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 07:18 PM by georgatos7.)
11-29-2015 07:07 PM
Zervox Offline

I've already done it so its too late for me. pfft

Update: Had to go look some more that is pretty clever georgatos. ; )
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 07:47 PM by Zervox.)
11-29-2015 07:22 PM
3DRaddict Offline

Hey man, where's that cheat sheet? This is keeping me up past bedtime. I'm tired of flashing the torch light from red to blue and pressing walkie talkie keys, trying to hit that special combination. grin

Otherwise good going... nice graphics and atmosphere
11-29-2015 09:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgatos7 Offline

Spoilers/Hints
Yo, well for anyone wanting some hints i can say that in order to grab things make sure you are within real grabbing range (possibly crouched also) and also not in any awkward angle.
Concerning the objective a few hints are that there is some info on the radio booster machine on how to use it and also that the flashlight emission can reveal things that are not shown with just the visible light. Finally the "F" key is used when you are grabbing either the flashlight or the radio and the numpad nums are used with the radio on hand.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 09:56 PM by georgatos7.)
11-29-2015 09:54 PM
Tottel Offline

Got it. Nicely done. smile
11-29-2015 10:11 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

This is really impressive and very well implemented. Effective IK, great modelling and intelligent puzzel design ... I love it smile
12-03-2015 07:40 PM
georgatos7 Offline

[Image: image.png]

Hey just for a small update, while i was trying to find a way to implement IK to handle the character's hands for this test project i have gone through a few test builds trying out various implementations.

For anyone that might find this interesting, i'm posting the download link to the four builds that include the 2 basic implementations (non-math/math) along with two additional test projects the "Fetch" and the "Spider" that were done to further test the final solution in practice.

Download Link: IK Projects

There are a few issues that could have been fixed, like the spider occasionally walking inside a vertical obstacle or its legs temporarily sinking a bit to the ground but this had to do with the part of the algorithm that indicated the IK's next target position and not the IK placement itself so i just decided to ignore them.

Finally here is a link explaining a simple and lightweight IK solution that can easily be extended to as many bones as you like. Sadly in the end it felt kinda limiting so i went for just a basic 2 joint IK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2772HKIsf1M
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2016 04:16 PM by georgatos7.)
02-23-2016 04:15 PM
Tottel Offline

That's super cool, thank you georgatos!

The first version was already very impressive so I'm quite eager to try out the new ones. smile

EDIT: Very nice! The spider climbing on things is really, really cool!
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2016 04:35 PM by Tottel.)
02-23-2016 04:28 PM