About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Small plants (sample pack)
para Offline

Small plants (sample pack)
A few months back I was on vegetation modeling & texture making spree, I stopped halfway but I already made 23 types/species and each has ~20-30 variations, some even have 1-3 lod stages (where applicable).

The plants are not 100% scientifically accurate, but I tried to get close to the real ones.. this is just a sample of the average quality I managed to achieve. The textures aren't completely done either, for demo purposes I downsized them to 1024, but the originals are of high resolution so they could be suitable even for macro close-ups smile

I'm thinking of putting some more effort into this and putting it up as an affordable pack, thoughts?
Link to models (.esenthelproject) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1734...helProject - 2mb (does not contain the same plants as pictured in the preview)
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 12:12 AM by para.)
03-07-2015 11:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: Small plants (sample pack)
These look really good Para, I especially like the nettles! I'd be interested in purchasing a pack should you decide to go ahead.
03-08-2015 12:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ezequel Offline

Hi, great job! Very high quality objects in my opinion.
The textures look amazing, but is a texture size of 1024 not a bit high for vegetation?
A pack would be very cool indeed.
03-08-2015 01:06 AM
para Offline

I've decided to do more work on this... and started importing the plants inside EE, for tweaking/testing..

Here's a quick preview of how they look in game so far:

I try to make them as optimized as possible, without sacrificing overall quality too much, for example this one is only 4 triangles:

Also on my to-do list are objects like branches, twigs, logs, dead trees,... some of which I'm already in the middle of making:

.. any other suggestions, comments, tips?
03-15-2015 03:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

You're really achieving a high quality look and feel with this Para ... I love the in-game shot.

I'm sure your market place would be large for game assets of this quality ... great work! With some good marketing and the right price I think you could sell a lot of these.

Don't be tempted to sell these too cheap though ... people generally will pay for quality and you can always drop the price after a while if your not getting the sales you'd like.

I would suggest possibly including some suitable high quality ground textures to go with it to make it a more complete package and give it that extra appeal.

Will they come with normal/specular maps too?
03-15-2015 10:16 AM
para Offline

Quote:You're really achieving a high quality look and feel with this Para ... I love the in-game shot.
Thanks!

Some of the ground textures that will be included (originals are 4096x4096):

(in-game, please excuse the heavy vignette, I forgot to tone it down a bit)

+ a couple dozen more...

Textures will come with additional maps like normal, specular,... though my personal preference is to use them sparingly for vegetation , because normal maps tend to "blacken" the end result somewhat and are a performance hit with very dense vegetation,.. a more realistic result IMO is with a bit of subsurface scattering and ideally with a tiny bit of translucency (but that is too costly for most real time scenes).
03-15-2015 04:35 PM
Pherael Offline

These plants looks really really great. Good works para!
03-15-2015 04:58 PM
rstralberg Offline

Looking just great
03-15-2015 05:44 PM
para Offline

Thanks guys, I'm halfway there..

Made three more plant types, with dozens of variations and LOD stages, small preview:

This whole process has been a great learning experience for me, I learned much about Blender. In the last two weeks I learned Python and how to effectively write scripts/add-ons to automate some of the tasks inside it - ie batch renaming, exporting, etc. as well as leveraging code to add procedural elements to manual model building, like applying vertex noise to duplicated objects and automatically generating clusters/patches from selected objects.. quite powerful stuff, maybe I'll do a tutorial on this afterwards.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2015 02:43 PM by para.)
03-21-2015 02:37 PM
Ezequel Offline

Really nice work again!
03-21-2015 04:45 PM