About Store Forum Documentation Contact

VR - Support for motion tracked controllers
Pixel Perfect Offline

VR - Support for motion tracked controllers
A little while back I updated my game code to run against your latest version of the engine so I could test the VR implementation and I have to say I'm very impressed with how it performed and how good it looks.

Using a 1080 card I am able to run the game at full 90fps at standard resolution. It runs perfectly well locked at 45fps at 2x super sampled where to be honest the quality looks fantastic and equals the very best of anything I have played on the Vive to date, so congratulations on a great implementation!

I would very much like to include VR support in my game but would need full support for the motion controllers on both the Vive and the Oculus.

Whereas I can see what appears to be functions to return the positional information in input.h (leftHand and rightHand) I don't see any support for the controllers button status. Please just point me in the right direction if it is already there and I've simply missed it wink

Do you have any plans to include this or even provide enhanced VR functionality such is appearing in other well known game engines currently?

Esenthel is still my engine of choice and I would prefer not to change engines in order to embrace the VR marketplace.

Whilst I'm aware that buying the source code and enhancing the OpenVR integration myself is an option if I move to the current version I will lose my AI engine and would have to code an alternative from scratch; which will keep me more than occupied for the foreseeable future. Besides, I see support for hardware input devices as more core engine SDK functionality.

Would appreciate your input on this Greg before making any decisions moving forwards.
02-24-2017 12:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: VR - Support for motion tracked controllers
Hi,

Thank you for the kind words.
I don't have HTC vive and adding support for those buttons would be without a device and without being able to test it.
I can take a look in around 1-2 weeks if it's easy or no.
However your best bet is with the source code license.
If you already have HTC vive then it should be not a big problem to add this function.
If you add this feature by yourself or if I add it to the latest version, that doesn't matter because you still have to use the latest engine version, as I don't add new features for legacy versions of the engine.
02-25-2017 04:51 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Thanks Greg for replying so quickly.

(02-25-2017 04:51 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  ...
If you add this feature by yourself or if I add it to the latest version, that doesn't matter because you still have to use the latest engine version, as I don't add new features for legacy versions of the engine.

Thats ok, I was expecting to have to purchase the latest version anyway.

(02-25-2017 04:51 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  ...
I don't have HTC vive and adding support for those buttons would be without a device and without being able to test it.
I can take a look in around 1-2 weeks if it's easy or no.

Again, that's ok. I have a Vive and if you think you could add the functionality then I'd be more than happy to test it.

I'm in no particular hurry at the moment as I have quite a few other things I need to look into. So if you could take a look over the next couple of weeks we could revisit this once you have a better idea of exactly what is involved.

I have a few other things I need to look into before I'd make a commitment to use Esenthel for VR such as how I would handle menus in VR (either static in 3D space and/or parented to the controller/s) , simulated laser pointers for selection purposes and possible alternate locomotion systems such as teleportation for those who get sick using conventional locomotion in VR. A lot of this is already built into the engines currently supporting VR development.

Congratulations on your recent marriage by the way. I wish you both happiness for your future smile
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2017 10:02 AM by Pixel Perfect.)
02-25-2017 09:01 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

I have decided to work with Unreal Engine on this project as it has so much support for VR out of the box.

I hope you do go on to improve the VR support in the Esenthel, as the results in VR look so promising, however, at this point in time I appreciate with no other obvious end user interest you are probably not going to get a return on your effort on a single license sale.

Again, I would be happy to test any of it and provide feedback should you decide to extend the supported functionality at any point in the future.

Thanks for your consideration.
03-07-2017 12:48 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Many thanks for the update.
I was going to check this soon, however since you've switched to another game engine, most likely I will focus on other things at the moment.
If I add this feature in the future, I will post here too.
Many thanks for the best wishes smile
Have a good day please.
03-08-2017 06:05 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

You're welcome. By the way, I have decided the VR project will be a new project. So I will be sticking with Esenthel to complete my Kingdom Of Soul project smile
03-08-2017 05:15 PM