About Store Forum Documentation Contact

May 2017 rename changes
aceio76 Offline
Source Licensee

May 2017 rename changes
Hi Greg,

Were some of the thread functions renamed, like SafeWriteLock, SafeSyncLocker, etc?

For some reason, my git didn't pick up the changes to the files that contained the renamed references to these functions. This only happened with this last minor update. The first May update worked after I got past my previous issues. I'm just trying to understand the history of the changes.

Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2017 06:30 AM by aceio76.)
05-25-2017 06:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: May 2017 rename changes
Hi,

These classes are new in this release.
They're mainly intended to be used by the engine only, because they are hidden inside EE_PRIVATE.
05-25-2017 06:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Source Licensee

Ok, strange. I just simply renamed old references to the new names and it's fixed. It's just curious why it didn't carry the changes when I sync'd. Thanks.
05-25-2017 06:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

They weren't renamed, they are new.
Because you still have the old WriteLock and SyncLocker, but the Safe* versions do some extra checks, about if the SyncLock wasn't deleted already in the destructor, so they are more safe to use in cases which you may try to access a SyncLock after it was already destroyed (some special cases at app shut down).
05-25-2017 06:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Source Licensee

Uh oh, then I have it backwards. All those files that were referencing Safe* were updated/merged properly from the sync, but it's Thread.h that didn't get updated. This makes better sense now. Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix it on my end.
05-25-2017 01:12 PM