About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel Engine is now FREE!
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Esenthel Engine is now FREE!
Income from the engine has been dropping since few years, now reached a very low value, in which case I no longer see it sensible to keep the engine as paid, since it doesn't generate much money anymore. I've decided to make it free to use, and powered by optional donations/contributions.

So please enjoy the engine!
Binary versions from Esenthel Website no longer do any Licensing checks, also you can grab the source here:
https://github.com/Esenthel/EsenthelEngine/
And if you would like to support my efforts and further development of the engine, you can either keep your existing subscription license or you can buy some supporter packs here:
http://www.esenthel.com/?id=store&cat=1
If you purchase the supporter packs, you will get a special supporter forum user title and special user name colors.
It works in a similar manner to the old engine licenses.

Thanks a lot!

Note to existing GitHub Source license owners:
The old (private) repository has been renamed to https://github.com/Esenthel/EsenthelEngineOld/ and I will delete it in a few days, which will also delete your own forks.
Please migrate to the new (public) repository https://github.com/Esenthel/EsenthelEngine/

I will continue working on the engine, and on my game World of Esenthel - https://www.facebook.com/EsenthelWorld/

A lot has been happening in my personal life, moved to another country, got married, got a cat, built a home and now my wife is pregnant.
I was busy with a lot things, but now with the house finished, I can finally focus again on programming. Here's a photo of my new work station. So glad it's big, and can accomodate all my computer hardware easy grin

03-13-2019 03:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dwight Offline

RE: Esenthel Engine is now FREE!
Hi Greg!

So good to see your personal development! Different country, great life, getting married and getting a cat! It´s a lot to take in!

Your efforts over the years have been great, as you single-handedly developed a top-notch engine!

I think that releasing Esenthel to the public and having people contribute to the development of it is a great step forward and will attract some great people!
03-13-2019 04:23 PM
Tottel Offline

Oh god.. I keep coming back to Esenthel because it's such a great engine to use for personal projects.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't justify paying for the licenses any more, especially not with having no extra money to spare..
This left me in the annoying position where I have old projects, but I can't work on them because I have reached the maximum amount of project elements; and I can't really use Esenthel for new projects either, because I know I will hit that limit.
And yet.. I like Esenthel, and I _want_ to use it.

Now I can. Thank you so much for this.

All the best!
03-13-2019 04:43 PM
Argoon Offline

Don't know if I should be happy with this news or not, in one side i'm happy that I will be able to use the engine for free and at the same time sad that you add to do this.

Thanks for not just saying f**** and kill the engine (like others did), hope this shows it was a good decision.

edit: Sorry if this is not the best place to ask this, but is VS 2017 the only windows IDE supported now? I tried opening the basic app with VS 2015 and it failed with many unresolved external symbol errors.

Edit2: Installed vs2017, got a error about v141 xp build tools not present, installed that the basic app compiled and worked. smile
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019 12:44 AM by Argoon.)
03-13-2019 09:33 PM
RedcrowProd Offline

Hey
This sounds like a very good news to me, not so much for the money, as i intend to keep a 10$sub per month, but to be able to maybe bring people on my team without having them running away when i tell them they need a 10$ sub a month ( which always happened )
I disliked ue4 but when i tried to look for a team/project to join, EE wasnt even considered ( maybe not for that sole reason but a good part of it) [ and was the only time i took a break from the engine in 4? Years (which was a total fiasco and brought me to almost burn out/ frustrated but thats beside the point pfft )
Hopefully it brings more traffic to this great engine.
I am aswell very eager to take a look at the source, which i wasnt able to before

All in all, congratz on your family and thank you for your hard work
03-14-2019 04:27 AM
Tottel Offline

May I suggest updating the Steam page as well? I mean, I guess there's no reason not to, right?
03-14-2019 08:56 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I'll do it too in the future, (Steam Edition is not updated frequently, I recommend Binary from Esenthel Website or GitHub).
03-14-2019 08:59 AM
Ezequel Offline

Well that's a very courageous decision! Wishing you all the best, both in your personal life as with future developments.
03-14-2019 07:21 PM
Ireheart Offline

Hi Greg, this is a very prestigious move indeed, i personally think, if you keep making code examples, example games, it will attract a lot more attention, this is why unreal is very successful.

Is there any licencing fees now on released games? any requirements in place e.g. listing esenthel/logo?
03-15-2019 05:18 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

No licensing fees but optional donations are welcome.
https://github.com/Esenthel/EsenthelEngi.../README.md
Quote:ATTRIBUTION
You don't have to show Esenthel Logo or mention the Engine anywhere in your game/app,
but it would be cool if you could.
03-15-2019 05:23 AM
Houge Offline

Good news and bad news. Bad news are that Engine now reached very low value of profit, but I think all other news are great! After it became free more people will start using it, more people will be able to make code contributions and financial contributions.

All changes in your life are awesome, congratulations with your wife's pregnancy (my wife is currently pregnant too grin)

We want to know more about World of Esenthel! Is it an MMO? What are the key features? smile
03-16-2019 04:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Wow, such coincidence wink congrats on pregnancy too, hope your wife is doing well.
WoE will be a very big game, single/multi, rpg/strategy, some fighting and car racing too wink I want to put everything there. Already have a world generator, character creation, running around, some basic fighting too, now need all the rest.
03-17-2019 01:55 PM
Dwight Offline

If you need help, I think there's some people who want to here in the community! smile
03-17-2019 03:43 PM
Mardok Offline

Thank you for your hard work and decision to public all source code and engine completly free. I wish you a lot of donations and new users because its great engine. Cheers!
03-19-2019 10:05 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Thank you and everyone smile
03-20-2019 04:50 AM