About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Poly Question
razoorsharp Offline

Poly Question
Hey everyone .
Just wondering something .
If i make your average house about 1000 polygons and i want to make a crowded city how many polygons could Esenthel handle on screen on your relativly new computer...

I am making some body meshes a.t.m. and without the hands or facual features i guess a bodt could count up to 1800/2000 polygons
I used a smooth mesh in 3dsmax on a basic model than edit it further in ZBrush to create a displacement map.. so if this works out i could get quite some detail with little poly's.

Here is an example
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://zulu.messageboard.nl/14076/viewtopic.php?t=551">http://zulu.messageboard.nl/14076/viewtopic.php?t=551</a><!-- m -->
(last pictures)

Is that good enough? or should i really tune down the models... honestly.. i don't kow what is the usual poly rate for a character these days
09-28-2008 10:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Re: Poly Question
you can easily add more polys, it looks too blocky, the engine is very optimised for vertex/poly count.
the concepts are nice though.
10-01-2008 10:16 AM
razoorsharp Offline

well the blocky model is a base model..
From there i make edgeloops to than add nurb subdivisions on 1 iteration.
Than the polycount rises really fast.

Then the rest of the blocky part should be covered with a displacement mapping and normal mapping to reduce the GPU load for lets say villages and crowds.

But i need a baseline to go from...
I could make 100 models of characters and all of them have 3000 polygons.. than when the am loads it all goed to shit because ihave too many.
So i was kind of hoping you have established some sort of baseline to keep it within the reach of hardware and engine.
10-01-2008 01:20 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

there is no strict rule for amount of poly because its dependent from too many things.
you need to test it manually depending on your needs.
10-01-2008 02:22 PM