About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Ragdoll physix
razoorsharp Offline

Ragdoll physix
Hey All . long time no see !

I had to drop my project for a little while because i didn't have the time for it and we had problems with people leaving and comming back again so there was little work done but a lot of turmoil ni the crew
Now we planning on making a small game first to test out concepts and we still are very fond of Esenthel .

I was wondering how Physix work in Esenthel .
Sure we could use the usual walk animation for the W burtton and hit for a mouse button .
But can we have ragdoll effects based on mouse movements? (holding Mouse button 1 activates a certain bone and you can move it around)

I Was wondering if it can be pulled off in Esenthel .

Here is a little concept i am working on
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://zulu.messageboard.nl/14076/viewtopic.php?t=548">http://zulu.messageboard.nl/14076/viewtopic.php?t=548</a><!-- m -->
Still under construction but the full concept will be there next week .
Just have to grab more pictures and examples .

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kingdomsofhayr.com">www.kingdomsofhayr.com</a><!-- w -->
08-28-2008 10:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Re: Ragdoll physix
Hello, and welcome again.
As you can see lots has changed since the last time.
I'll mention that the forums has been moved to new PhpBB system, so old posts had to be deleted.
As for the engine you may be interested in the latest available features:
-fully functional World Editor (terrain + object editing)
-facial animations
-pathfinding
-built in c++ game classes for automatically managed static objects, characters, items, doors and lights
-explosion and blood effects
-simplified symbol names
-and much much more

As for your question about the ragdoll,
I'm not sure if it's actually a good idea, but you can always try it to implement such bone steering.
There are 2 ways you can do that:
-manual bone rotation according to mouse movement (check tutorial "animation/manual editing") you'd have to manually operate on bone matrixes according to mouse deltas, the bone would follow mouse smoothly, however I don't think it would be fun for the gameplay
the other way I'd suggest more:
-prepare few animations of character swinging his arm in multiple directions, each animation for a different direction (or use the sample animations already supplied in the engine)
and then detect the mouse movement, according to which direction the mouse goes, play appropriate animation

Good luck with your project
08-28-2008 11:30 AM
razoorsharp Offline

haha thnx .
But for the gameplay for an Arena like game i think it wouldbe intense and even so very very immersive and instinctive
I have to work out the concept because now it all seem's blurry .
But it comes down to restricting the bones and pivot points 's movement and let the mouse be the mover of the arms . Left mouse for left art rght for right . Wheel for thrust up or up down for down etc .

Add a collision to the weapons and you got yourself some awesome swordfights.

imagine a couple of moves . like:
Both mouse buttons hold + Back = Block hands crossed
(the back tilts and elbow over it's axis and the shoulder making is retract to the body) Offencive :Both mouse buttons hold + Back and Forward + wheel up = body bash with both hands pushing the enemy

Left buton + Left = arm to the side than left mouse + right/up= diagonal swing to the neck .. if you used The wheel it would stab in theneck

Basically there is no animation involved in this because the mouse and restrictions make up the movement.
The Wheel can be used to accelerate the movement .
To Slash of stab.. the wheel is your power.

Like driving a car with stickshift. easy to learn and becomes invuitive very fast .
The collisions to the rest .
Add a physix code to it that does .
Velocity+ power, Devided by impact power = backlash (bounce)
And you are done i think ..
am i right or totally talking nonsense
08-28-2008 12:49 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

well, you'd have to implement it first, and then check if it actually makes sense wink
08-28-2008 01:04 PM
razoorsharp Offline

Esenthel Wrote:well, you'd have to implement it first, and then check if it actually makes sense wink
That makes even more sense!!
But i just want to know if it's able to do that .. i donlt know how to make it, thats another thing .. have to find someone to build the code for it .
But if the engine is up for it than i know it can...
08-28-2008 01:50 PM