:shock: You are my god.
Thanks a lot for your efford.
08-12-2008 02:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xenno Offline

Re: Basic Question
Hi grin
I'm here for make my today's stupid question : :twisted:
Well, i have some work done in my "game" (more test than a game xD) and i want to organize a bit my code.
I'm using your tutorial "01 - Simple Project (5 - Projects)" as a beginning (i'm not a real programmer, just a hobbie) an trying to organize my files, but i'm having some troubles with it. My project compile and work. It show some credits (Esenthel logo and my logo xD) and later a simple menu.
When i choose new game i want to load a simple map, only that, and here come the error.

Code:
#include "../data/enum/_enums.h"

MEMX<GAME::STATIC> Static;
MEMX<GAME::ITEM  > Item;  
MEMX<GAME::CHR   > Chr;  

BOOL InitGame()
{
    Phys.create();

GAME::World.init();
    GAME::World.setType(Static,OBJ_STATIC)  
              .setType(Item   ,OBJ_ITEM  )  
              .setType(Chr    ,OBJ_CHR   );    
    GAME::World.New("wrld/test");
    GAME::World.update(Cam.at);
    return true;
}

In GAME::World.init(); my app crash "Can't load enum/obj_type.enum"
My data structure (as simply as i can for this example):
  • /EsenthelEngineSDK
    • /Data
      • /...[/list:u]
        • /enum/_ ................[/list:u]
            [/list:u]
            • /Tutorials
                • / my files (.cpp .h ...)[/list:u]
                  • /game.exe[/list:u]
                      • /...

I'm sure that it's an stupid thing, but i can't see the problem in 2 days T_T

Thanks for any advise :roll:
08-19-2008 10:27 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

have you set IOPath to point to your Data path correctly?
In the directory structure you've presented it should be IOPath="../Data/";
set it in InitPre
08-19-2008 10:43 AM
xenno Offline

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
As i said before, "my today's stupid question"
Thanks, was that.
08-19-2008 11:16 AM
xenno Offline

Hi, long time without ask something stupid, huh?
Today i made a little class to manage my own control config file (aka control.cfg xD).
Everything was OK until add it into my project (i was using a simple win32 console project for do it, don't ask me why :oops: )
I have problems when try to link the project and can't find fstream and string libraryes (for easy work).
I put the path but don't work ... try to use Omit Default Library Names option but get more links problems.
How can i do it work?. How i must do it otherwise?

PS: Thanks for the last uptdate, i was getting problems with light from world editor , but now work =)
09-13-2008 04:04 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello,

I've managed to make it working with these Project Settings:
Code:
C/C++\Preprocessor
   Preprocesor Definitions : WIN32;_WINDOWS
Linker\Input\
   Ignore All default Library : No

The second alternative is this:

Code:
Linker\Input\
   Additional Dependencies : libcmtd.lib psapi.lib winmm.lib ws2_32.lib oldnames.lib wininet.lib dinput8.lib dsound.lib d3d9.lib d3dx9.lib dxguid.lib EsenthelEngine.lib
   Ignore All default Library : No

Altough you should use Engine's IO classes, check Misc\Io.h header for File and FileText classes
Also for Strings please check Misc\String.h header for Str class
09-13-2008 05:04 PM
xenno Offline

Thanks a lot. I used those libraryes because i was using other PC (mine has broken) and haven't got internet conection. I will check your tutorials for more info. pfft
09-13-2008 07:40 PM
xenno Offline

Hello, i'm here again pfft

Today i have some questions about modeling. My "game" is a classic shooter through rooms.
My question is :
How i should to do my maps? Now i'm doing some rooms with 3dS max and using them as statics elements in world editor. Yeah it work but , it's ok?

Another thing is about texturing these rooms. In 3DS i texture them assign a single texture to each poly, and tiling them. But i don't know how can i do this in esenthel engine , or how i must to apply a matterials in esenthel.
Ok, i can texture using clasic texturing, but details will be too poor (1024).

Thanks for any help ^^

My PC:
Proccessor: Core2 Quad Q9650
Ram: 4GB
HD: 500 Gb
Video Card: 285GTX 1Gb
Microsoft Windows Vista
11-02-2008 10:23 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

when exporting model from 3ds max (using for example .ase format) only UV mapping coordinates are exported (you still need to check the option "export uv mapping" while exporting).
then when importing .ase file into Mesh Editor the model has those coordinates, but still needs to have a material assigned.
in Mesh Editor you create/edit materials in Material mode, and then 'm' key for material editing.
one material = one different color texture, so for each different color textures you need to create a material and save it to a file.
when you've got them, you can just apply them to a mesh part (Mshc) using "set" button.
Mesh is built from several parts (Mesh Containers-Mshc) and each part can have one material assigned.
you can check the Mesh Editor documentation for more info.
Let me know if you'll need more help with that.
oh and of course texture tiling is fully supported.
11-02-2008 11:01 AM
xenno Offline

Good, i did some test and all its ok. I have detailed rooms at least xD.

Thank Esenthel =)

My PC:
Microsoft Windows Vista
11-02-2008 04:02 PM
xenno Offline

Hmmm, i'm doing a simple map and assign to each part of mesh differents materials.
My new question is :
Who determine all different parts of a mesh? I say that because in 3DS i can asign materiar to one wall, but in esenthel this wall become 2 diferent parts (2 tris), but others wall are a simple quad.

I export it as OBJ file, i can't open (or i don't know, which is sure) ase format (mesheditor tell me that ase is open, but i cant see the model)

See ya

My PC:
Microsoft Windows Vista
11-03-2008 02:04 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

hi, could you explain the first question more?

as for the second, you can rescale the model to fit the camera using Ctrl+C (or through menu - mesh\transform\rescale height to 1)
11-03-2008 03:22 PM
razoorsharp Offline

Xenno isn't it the case that if you use UVW unwrapper (and render in the UVW editor) in 3dsmax and save the texture. edit it in photoshop or whatever and use it on a material slot and apply to the model . (that should make a fit )
when you export it .. doesnt the texture file you made in photoshop and the model still fit after you imported into the game engine .
i am lame, i know, because i still haven't tried out the esenthel engine like i should but am learning to model stuff now before i start putting the models in the game engine

(my project = <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kingdomsofhayr.com">http://www.kingdomsofhayr.com</a><!-- m --> by the way)

But if you save the model and texture seperatly doesn;t the game engine keep the coordinates so that you just need to say that this specific model uses this texture and WHAM BAM thank you Ma'am makes an instant fit??? just like in the 3dsmax sessions?

If not i am gonna have some fun cause i make textures based on the UVW Wrapper and pelt methode .
11-03-2008 03:27 PM
xenno Offline

Here you can see what's my problem with mesh (soory for my art xD).

[Image: questionfr4.th.jpg][Image: thpix.gif]

razoorsharp:
I can't say you about modeling because i did only 6 models (5 are little rooms for test), but i've used unwrap with 3DS without problems and later applied it to my model in esenthel dragging the texture to MeshEditor. My big problem come when i need to apply tiling textures for rooms and so.

(Damn sorry form my english)

My PC:
Microsoft Windows Vista
11-03-2008 04:32 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

ok I see you've got 2 parts when imported to Mesh Editor,
now please tell me,

1. Would you like to have one material for one wall, and some other material for the other wall? - if that's the case you need to edit the model in 3ds max to export it properly into 2 parts (where each part is one wall).

2. Or do you want them to have the same material? - if that's the case you just need to apply material twice for each Mshc.

remember that imported texture coords are the same as in 3ds max, so only applying materials is needed, and no UV setting in the Mesh Editor.
11-03-2008 04:54 PM