About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Hell, new to Esenthel.
ulao Offline

Hell, new to Esenthel.
Ok first off I must say WOW. At lease from a first glance I must say this is a very nice looking engine.

I see there is little of no activity here but I'm guessing that because the forums or engine is new?

I looked over the files from the download and your organization is very professional. I have been using engines over the past 5 years for work and hobby. Currently I'm using a darkBasic GDK (c++) engine for a game I'm working on (hobby). I have reached it's limits and looking to try another engine. Let me start off with a few questions if i may..

1) I'm assuming this is a c++ based engine?

2) Will the engine be able to load entities from the editor (scene management ) or is it just le a bsp designer?

3) Honestly now.. Would you call Esenthel a game engine or render engine. ( do you have AI or advanced cam function (i.e follow object ) )?

4) Is Esenthel api driven or classed driven. In other words. what fits Esenthel closer.
a) DoFo( tEntity, 10 );
b) tEntity->doFo( 10 );

5) what types of models will it support fully, do I have to use you own formate? Can i use maya for example somehow?

6) where is the class list or chm file? Do you have doxygen?

I guess the only other thing I'm wondering is, is the engine ready for a full game? Not only am I looking at Esenthel for my hobby but also for my company ( i understand the terms of your license ).
06-10-2008 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ulao Offline

Re: Hell, new to Esenthel.
Ok I see this "importing 3ds, ase, obj, wrl, x, xml (igame/3dxi)"

and this "importing animations from external programs (3d Studio Max, Maya, XSI, Blender) "

So thats answers the model part, but I can't use your mesh editor. I go to load and nothing shows. I select explore and nothing happens, or hit f4 and nothing happens?
06-10-2008 02:34 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello and welcome on the forums,
There was more action on the forums but I've moved to a new server and had to set new forums, because the old one wasn't compatible with new one.
1) Yes it's fully c++ based, it has some Assembler optimizations, and shaders are created in HLSL.
2) Yes it'll be ready soon, right now only terrain is managed automatically, objects will be next.
3) You can check the "Features" documentation to see what exactly is available out of the box. You have access to graphics, sounds, rendering, controls, io, physics, there are some pure gaming interfaces as well, you can create a character, control it manually or order to fulfill some automatic actions. camera is fully controllable.
4) it's more class driven (B) however some functions are in (A) way. Each function has been carefully designed to have easiest usage and fastest speed possible.
5) could you be more specific with your question?
Is it ready for a game? Sure, if you'll need some additional features let me know, and I'll implement them.
As a bonus I can say that currently I'm working on documentation, soon it will be much better, and more detailed smile
Let me know if you have more questions.

About importing models please try drag and drop the file on the Mesh Editor window smile
06-10-2008 02:48 PM
ulao Offline

Ok cool, may give it a go soon here. Though I need to use this entity scene management driven world editor. So perhapses i can assist as it progresses. I have a very strong intuitive nature when it comes to developing software maybe my suggestions will help.

Quote:5) could you be more specific with your question?

I think this is mainly answered. I was wondering if i could use maya for model design but it looks like i can. If i can load in an X model with animations to a level editor (when completed) , then in the game engine do like so..

entity->loopAnimation( 1 ); and the engine will know that that entity has an animation I'm all set.
06-10-2008 03:23 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

ok
-first you need to import the model with animations into Mesh Editor
-you can optionally modify the mesh/animations and setup materials
-then export the MESH, skeleton (SKEL) and animation (ANIM) to files
-when you've got those, you can check the tutorial "animation/animation"

any suggestions are welcome smile
06-10-2008 03:28 PM
ulao Offline

-first you need to import the model with animations into Mesh Editor
(yup understand that)

-you can optionally modify the mesh/animations and setup materials
( good to know )

-then export the MESH, skeleton (SKEL) and animation (ANIM) to files
( sounds good )

-when you've got those, you can check the tutorial "animation/animation"
( great )

And when the world editor is ready I shoudl be able to load them in to it and export for the engine? The world editor would hold general information like position and physics ect..?
06-10-2008 03:57 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

you already can put objects into the world editor (with custom positions)
however in the game codes you need to manually handle each object (it'll be automated in the future), the terrain is handled automatically already.
loading objects is done this way

Wrld.load(..);
for(INT i=0; i<Wrld.objs; i++) Wrld.loadObj(new object, i);

please note that this is a scheme only.
06-10-2008 06:23 PM
ulao Offline

No thats perfect, Thx!!
06-10-2008 06:26 PM
flim Offline

Hi, I just found this engine, how much is the license for indie developer?
07-14-2008 04:47 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

hello, at the moment it's about 1,500$ for commercial use
07-15-2008 02:32 PM
flim Offline

Hi,

Is the license for one game, or unlimit game?
08-06-2008 04:18 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

One product.
08-06-2008 11:39 AM