About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Fade With Blur bug?, and Text Input question
Chris Offline

Fade With Blur bug?, and Text Input question
Hi,

1. I'm encountering a strange glitch when fading in (not out?) with a 2d window which is transparent with blur. Specifically:

Code:
Gui.style_window.blur_color=0xAA281F18;
void OPTIONS::toggle() {
    window.fadeToggle(); // e.g. in bloody masacre this used to be window.visibleToggle();
}
It seems that the blur or transparency or something doesn't work with the fade, i'm not entirely sure.

2. I have a custom chat system in a network game which draws message above Characters. The concept is to have each letter-as-typed assigned a time which fades and ripples (distortion) according to distance from Player. So I need to grab input from somewhere, and send it in separate D.text chunks. So far this is kind of working with a TextLine, but is there anything more low level I can use to read input? If not, do I have to keep giving keyboard focus to TextLine when typing? (The question is "What is the best approach to do this?").

And finally 3., which support forum do you prefer people to use, for questions like these? I was just wondering because non-clients can't search for it here. (Or do you like to keep client questions modular/prioritised?)
01-01-2010 05:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Fade With Blur bug?, and Text Input question
Hi,

1. I'll check this when I'm back at work in 2-3 days, it's possible that 2 effects (fade in + smooth transparency) use the same back buffers and thus are in collision.

2. Well typically in games if you want to send a message/input text, you first press some button, which sets the game in input reading mode, you can do this by:
-check if 't' button pressed, if pressed then set focus for TextLine, once enter is pressed then 'send message'
for more low level text input please use TextEdit function (call it each frame)

3. This is up to you, if you want to make your thread public (hoping that maybe other users will help, not only clients) you can post in the public section,
if you want your thread to be more private, then you can post here in the client section
01-01-2010 07:27 PM
Chris Offline

Hi,

1. Thanks for checking. That sounds right, yeah it goes black before fading in which causes a flicker-like effect instead of what should be smooth transactions.

2. Cheers for this, its working perfectly now.
3. Okay

Thanks for your support even in the holidays,
Chris
01-02-2010 01:58 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

1. I've fixed this, please wait for next EE release
01-03-2010 07:55 PM