About Store Forum Documentation Contact

RakNet Tutorial

RE: RakNet Tutorial
I think i found an error in tutorial :

In Network.cpp, you use Printf, but i think it is not possible with windows GUI EE.

case ID_CONNECTION_REQUEST_ACCEPTED: // This tells the client they have connected
printf("ID_CONNECTION_REQUEST_ACCEPTED to %s with GUID %s\n", p->systemAddress.ToString(true), p->guid.ToString());
printf("My external address is %s\n", client->GetExternalID(p->systemAddress).ToString(true));
break;

06-03-2011 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynad Offline

We have build this RakNet tutorial within a console project first.. and then integrated into EE. So thats the reason for some code that isn't working anymore in combination with EE.

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
06-03-2011 04:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbuman Offline

When I opened the client, it said it couldnt load the obj/chr/human/0.mesh, then when I try to build it in VS2010 it says it cannot include GetTime.h.... So far I cannot get anywhere with raknet, I would love to get into it though
06-30-2011 04:06 AM
Chris Offline

The engines just changing too quickly for projects like this to be maintained. I recommend new users just use the tutorial as a "Oh look, that's how it can be done". Then proceed as follows:

1. RakNet itself is very well documented, first download it and compile it.
2. Then compile some of the official sample RakNet command-line tutorials.
3. Find a tutorial which suits your needs (e.g. a simple one just sending text messages between a client and server) or peer-to-peer etc.
4. Start a new EE project based on one of the simple EE tutorials (e.g. one with a character running around in a world).
5. Add the RakNet lib and headers to your project linker settings etc, such that they compile together.
6. Make the RakNet-style communication work with EE::Str8's for two different instances of your EE project.
7. Extend this basic communication to handle the networking parts in your game. E.g. send a message when a character joins, leaves, runs - consult this RakNet Tutoria for "snippets".
8. If stuck on steps 5 to 7, consult this RakNet Tutorial (even if its not compiling due to engine changes).

Hope it goes well.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2011 11:35 PM by Chris.)
07-02-2011 11:27 PM
Chris Offline

Thanks for keeping this updated!
I had a quick look, but the update seemed to take a long time to load and movement was jerky (but was using the older .pak and .dll's) - interpolation is quite tough (unsolvable?) to smoothen properly in all scenarios. In a more recent game I was just doing things locally (similar to actionMoveTo) with a FSM & measure if the two states go out of sync above a tolerance (e.g. if a character falls off a cliff). If this is true, I added an event handler which either interpolates without physics or fades between states etc. But you can't do this with every scenario; still, it pays to be creative smile
08-28-2011 02:59 PM
TBJokers Offline

Everything looks nice in my opinion, But you can resize the chat with right click, Don't know if this is ment to be. But yes. And GUI lobby and options and stuff would be nice for the raknet client -> server would be nice too smile

Man, it's always that semicolon...
09-01-2011 01:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TBJokers Offline

I meant adding like real buttons, Not made by code. Like gobj for the game menu and stuff like that. But it's just something that would look better.
Some examples here,
[Image: qxt0l4.jpg]
[Image: npgqvl.jpg]
It would look nicer and more professional. hehe

And maybe who knows we wouldn't have this problem.
[Image: 200bp20.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2011 04:30 PM by TBJokers.)
09-01-2011 04:19 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(08-31-2011 04:25 PM)Zervox Wrote:  -SQLLite isn't updated as of yet, considering if its worth the time.
I'm just adding builtin support for SQLite (for EE::SQL class)
09-01-2011 05:53 PM
Chris Offline

Any chance of a bit of a tidy up again/maintenance release, last time I left it, it looked like this and load instantly: http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg175/sca...&ysize=640 - e.g. it had no bugs or blue/green artefacts or squashed text; it'd be good to have a consistent theme again o.O
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2011 08:53 PM by Chris.)
09-02-2011 08:32 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I have noticed a weird thing lately. That programs with name "client.exe" or 'game.exe' start with a pause. Just changing the name of the file helps.
Win 7. Geforce gtx 460m
09-04-2011 11:03 AM
TBJokers Offline

If you want some cool GUI for the logg in or something like that i could help you out.
I can post some of it pfft

09-05-2011 12:30 PM
Zervox Offline

-Updated to RakNet 4.033.
-Updated with latest Engine build for EE(RippleFX Draw)

Pack Source+Binaries+Data

-Contains all files needed, including projects with source.

Source Files + SLN only

-Contains only source and .sln/.vcproj for all the examples(mostly)
09-19-2011 12:42 PM
Agnostic Offline

(09-19-2011 12:42 PM)Zervox Wrote:  -Updated to RakNet 4.033.
-Updated with latest Engine build for EE(RippleFX Draw)

Source Files + SLN only

Hello, i got this error when i try to build it:

Code:
\raknetclient\source\chatbox\chatbox.cpp(88): error C2784: 'Int EE::Memc<TYPE>::binarySearch(const VALUE &,Bool &,Int (__cdecl *)(const TYPE &,const VALUE &))' : could not deduce template argument for 'overloaded function type' from 'overloaded function type'
1>          with
1>          [
1>              TYPE=ChatMessage
1>          ]
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\include\esenthelengine\memory\mem continuous.h(50) : see declaration of 'EE::Memc<TYPE>::binarySearch'
1>          with
1>          [
1>          ]
1>c:\users\virtual\downloads\esenthelenginesdk\raknet full pack\raknetclient\source\chatbox\chatbox.cpp(88): error C2784: 'Int EE::Memc<TYPE>::binarySearch(const VALUE &,Bool &,Int (__cdecl *)(const TYPE &,const VALUE &))' : could not deduce template argument for 'const VALUE &' from 'Flt'
1>          with
1>          [
1>          ]
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\include\esenthelengine\memory\mem continuous.h(50) : see declaration of 'EE::Memc<TYPE>::binarySearch'
1>          with
1>          [
1>          ]
1>c:\users\virtual\downloads\esenthelenginesdk\raknet full pack\raknetclient\source\chatbox\chatbox.cpp(89): error C2784: 'Int EE::Memc<TYPE>::binarySearch(const VALUE &,Bool &,Int (__cdecl *)(const TYPE &,const VALUE &))' : could not deduce template argument for 'overloaded function type' from 'overloaded function type'
1>          with
1>          [
1>          ]
1>          with
1>          [
1>          ]
1>c:\users\virtual\downloads\esenthelenginesdk\raknet full pack\raknetclient\source\chatbox\chatbox.cpp(89): error C2784: 'Int EE::Memc<TYPE>::binarySearch(const VALUE &,Bool &,Int (__cdecl *)(const TYPE &,const VALUE &))' : could not deduce template argument for 'const VALUE &' from 'Flt'
1>          with
1>          [
1>          ]
1>          with
1>          [
1>          ]
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2011 04:59 PM by Agnostic.)
09-30-2011 04:35 PM
Zervox Offline

Quote:Hello, i got this error when i try to build it:
This was because of a recent update to EE taking parameters as const.
Code:
static Int FindMinY(ChatMessage &message,Flt &min_y) {return Compare(message.y_max, min_y);}
static Int FindMaxY(ChatMessage &message,Flt &max_y) {return Compare(message.y_min, max_y);}
Becomes
Code:
static Int FindMinY(C ChatMessage &message,C Flt &min_y) {return Compare(message.y_max, min_y);}
static Int FindMaxY(C ChatMessage &message,C Flt &max_y) {return Compare(message.y_min, max_y);}

-Fixed BinarySearch Compilation error.

Source Files + SLN only

09-30-2011 07:24 PM
Agnostic Offline

Thanks, i have a question...
How i can get the username or any value from my users table in the client?
10-03-2011 03:51 PM