About Store Forum Documentation Contact

engine.pak error after update
Sarrene Offline

engine.pak error after update
Hello and good morning!

I recently started having some issues this past week (I was away for a week) when updating the engine.

I click on auto update as usual. Hover since I got back, I am now getting an odd error.

When I update I get the following message, "Error copying "engine.pak" to game data path"

Then it tells me update complete.

However, the engine.pak file is reset to 0kb.

I am really confused here. I have deleted just the pak file, did auto update. I have replaced the pak file with the newest one via download full engine. I have deleted the entire directory and replaced it. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled the microsoft visual studios. (Yes, I moved th files that needed to go in vs as well.) No aval. And yes, I did make sure that the path is correct. At least I think it is.

What am I doing wrong here? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Sarrene' Grant

Befor the update:

After the update:

04-03-2010 01:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chris Offline

RE: engine.pak error after update
Shouldn't Game Data Path point to your game path? A directory which isn't the same as, or within EsenthelEngineSDK

e.g.

F:\TriadGames\MyGameName\

Otherwise isn't it trying to copy engine.pak to itself? Or something like that.

Edit: You can also try running AutoUpdate.exe as administrator, depending on what permissions you've set on that drive.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2010 02:17 PM by Chris.)
04-03-2010 02:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarrene Offline

I'm not really sure. I have two directories actually.

One for our game itself, current build, art assets, scripts, etc.
Second one as default install for me to just mess around and explore and do test builds.

Odd thing is, this has not happened in the past. It only started when I got back a couple days ago. So I am not sure what is going on or what is different here.

So, I am at a loss here. I am not sure what changed or what was different. Or if I am messing up in some way.

edit: I am running as admin already. I practically have to for everything I do. But thank you for that suggestion. I know it is a common over look.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2010 02:17 PM by Sarrene.)
04-03-2010 02:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chris Offline

So if you change the game data path to:

F:\TriadGames\MyGameName\

It still gives an error? o.O
04-03-2010 02:18 PM
Sarrene Offline

Yeppers, it sure does.

I let our coder know and he could not figure it out either. Sadly he is on vacation now for the next week, so I have to pester you all pfft

I'm so confused and befuddeled hehe.
04-03-2010 02:20 PM
Chris Offline

Where MyGameName is a real directory you've already created? If this doesn't work, i'm also out of ideas - sorry for not being able to help.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2010 02:32 PM by Chris.)
04-03-2010 02:24 PM
Sarrene Offline

It is okay, you don't need to be sorry, you did try to help out and that is all that matters. I might have to wait for the Boss to show up and see if can figure out what I'm doing wrong and why it is messing up like it is.

Again, I have no idea what changed in my week off. It was working fine before I left.

I left on 21-03-10 and it was working fine. Updated perfect and flawlessly.I came back on 01-04-10 and went to update, and that is when I started having the issue.

Eh, we shall see what happens. I am an artist not a coder, so I am totally lost here. But once again, Thank you for the suggestions. If anything, they might help someone else out when they have a similar issue.

Sarrene'
04-03-2010 02:29 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello smile

Well the autoupdate.exe hasn't been changed in a long while, so I don't think that's because of the exe problem (it's still the same).

Maybe you're out of disk space?

The path is of course the path to you custom Game Data folder.
The autoupdate just copies the "engine.pak" from SDK\Data to the given location

so maybe you're out of disk space, or the target folder doesn't exist?

Let me know if it's any of the case smile

(and make sure that the target engine.pak isn't used by any process, which means that autoupdate can overwrite it)
04-03-2010 05:37 PM
Sarrene Offline

Target folder exists as you can see form the pictures I uploaded. And you can see how it changes the pak file from 84235kb to 0kb.

This does the same thing when I have it pointed to the custom game folder as well. And yes, they are correct. See the images above for example of what is happening.

As far as disk space, I think I have more then enough...

Esenthel and our game directories are located on DarkRelic (drive F)....

Any thoughts? I am completely lost here.

Peace,
Sarrene'
04-03-2010 06:43 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:Target folder exists as you can see form the pictures I uploaded. And you can see how it changes the pak file from 84235kb to 0kb.
yes but on the picture I only see that you're trying to copy the engine.pak to the same location where it is.
you don't need to do that
only point the game data path to the "game\data" outside of SDK folder.
please show me that the "game\data" folder exists, and screen from Autoupdate which points to the "game\data",
maybe you've made a typo, small misspelling?
04-03-2010 07:03 PM