About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Crashing on build after decaling. (out of memory)
Demi Offline

Crashing on build after decaling. (out of memory)
I imported a 8192x8192 terrain and made one material to paint the terrain with on import. I then set 'Bull' my avatar on the corner of the world and built the world. I was able to transverse the entire map and play for hours.

I then made decals to paint the terrain as I am not an artist so I figured painting the terrain with 1024x1024 textures would give a very nice look (which it does BTW) I painted the first line on of 64 decals and built the world again. It worked so I proceeded to paint 1/4 of the world with decals. (12 hours of decaling)

Upon finishing this I decided to test build and run the terrain.

It runs out of memory at about 1/3 into the build.

Is there any work around for this? Like make several chunks and join them later in code?

Like I posted in features, a terrain of this size is just incredible amount of hand painting so a means to alpha splat with a picture would be really helpful. The picture is already there but won't lock onto the terrain block. Making it lock on the terrain block could really speed up the development time as one could pain a block of terrain in one click. smile
05-23-2010 05:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Crashing on build after decaling. (out of memory)
This is not the recommended way to use decals to cover the whole world instead of materials.
To use big amount of unique textures to cover the world surface would require new feature "local material textures in each area"
which I may develop in the future (but not now)
05-23-2010 10:52 AM
Demi Offline

RE: Crashing on build after decaling. (out of memory)
I will try something else then.
05-23-2010 01:33 PM