About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Terrain heightmap importer
Chosker Offline

Terrain heightmap importer
Hello there,

I just checked the new update which includes heightmap importing.
It's a great (and expected) adition, however it seems a little weird that it's used as a brush.
The problem for me is that I'm trying to create a huge terrain, so using the brush at maximum size (even with the super-size button checked) isn't nearly as big as I need. To work around it I thought of using cropped chunks of my heightmap to achieve my desired size, but the problem with this is that since it's a click-to-raise thing it's really very imprecise (since I have to hold-click for X seconds for it to raise to my desired height) so it'd be a pain to match all the heights.

so my request here would be to allow for heightmaps to have some sort of more precise placing (ie. specify total height, and some more precise placing).
oh yeah it's also troublesome that if you try to paint with a huge brush (max. size) and it goes out of the current terrain area, even if there's terrain there (just not visible at the moment) it doesn't get affected. so, again, painting img-based heightmaps this way just seems more weird.

perhaps overall changing the way img-based heightmaps are created could be an option? just something more similar to the regular stuff on this topic: select an image, select global (XY) scale, select maximum height (Z), then it creates the chunks based on that.

thanks!
later
08-06-2009 07:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Re: Terrain heightmap importer
thanks, i think ill add this option too
08-06-2009 09:01 AM
anarki777 Offline

Re: Terrain heightmap importer
Chosker Wrote:select an image, select global (XY) scale, select maximum height (Z), then it creates the chunks based on that.
later
Yeah, that would be great.
08-06-2009 04:12 PM