About Store Forum Documentation Contact

collada import from daz3d studio
yvanvds Offline

collada import from daz3d studio
Hi.

Does any of you use daz3d studio for character modelling? The program is quite easy to make a character, and it supports collada export. But when I drop the file in the esenthel mesh editor, i get a grey model, so no textures loaded. Also the bones are exported, but on completely wrong places.

The problem could of course be equally well be on the daz3d side, but i tought i'd just ask if someone looked into this before.

Regards,

yvan
06-14-2010 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynad Offline

RE: collada import from daz3d studio
Hey,

Try a different export format e.g .x or .ms3d it can happen that 1 export format is not working 100%

~Dynad

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
06-14-2010 07:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JPLee GREX Offline

Collada exporter from DAZ is not collect standard collada expoter.
Please . Use open collada exporter.^^
Autodesk collada export is same ploblem.

Open collada exporter is comfortable your heart.^^
06-16-2010 09:01 AM
llynx Offline

I've had a lot of problems getting to export it to the mesh editor correctly.

1. The gray model is always like that directly from Daz Studio for it's export doesn't seem to correctly export embedded textures (FBX Collada Export). [By the way I have Daz Studio version 3.0.148]

2. No configuration of exports can fix the bone problem no matter what though it may be fixed in Daz Studio 4, the way it exports it makes it practically impossible to do any animation work inside ME.

3. Just for the model (No skel/anim) you can just export with Autodesk FBX Collada the following settings:

[Image: fbxexportoptions.jpg]
And all set to bake under morphs.

4. For animations, DAZ Collada is the only way to go, these settings give me the best results (better than any other config, left and right/front and back are inverted) when going straight into ME.

[Image: fbxexportoptions.jpg]

5. I have been tinkering with 3DS Max 2010/2011 and have been getting some relatively good results. Pretextured models, working Transformation Animations but no Morph Animations, and relatively correct Skeletons. I'll have to post instructions on this later, I'm still getting it to work properly in all. Hope that helps somewhat.
06-17-2010 04:42 AM
llynx Offline

Okay here's a little tutorial on how to get models and transformation animations from Daz Studio 3 to work with the Mesh Editor.

Tools Required:
1. 3DS Max 2010 or 2011
2. The latest version of the Autodesk FBX Exporter Plugin for 3DS Max
3. OpenCollada plugin for 3DS Max
4. Daz Studio 3

Steps:
1. Export your model and animations/morphs from Daz Studio in Autodesk FBX format with the following settings (some of the selected is optional, tinker as you please).
[Image: step1k.png]

2. Import the FBX file you made with 3DS Max with the following settings. (some of the unselected are optional, tinker as you please)
[Image: step2q.png]

Note: This will take a long time because re-evaluation of smoothing groups is enabled and is highly recommended.

3. Lastly export from 3DS Max with OpenCollada with the following settings.

[Image: step3v.png]

And there you go! Animations and geometry should be working nicely in Mesh Editor! Just save your skeleton and anim and you are good to go.

There are some texture problems/quirks so you are going to have to end up manually setting up the materials for your models. For example, if you have Ambient Occlusion maps for your model from Daz Studio, they will be recognized as Normal Maps instead of Lightmaps in the Mesh Editor so you will have to manually fix the Diffuse/Normal/Lightmap configuration to make your models look right.

If anyone has any comments or mistakes to point out, please reply.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2010 08:25 PM by llynx.)
06-17-2010 08:23 PM