About Store Forum Documentation Contact

PhysX SDK Update
thecoder Offline

PhysX SDK Update
OK, I decided to move this into feature requests with an important update.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20100917/nvidia-p...-released/

One of the new feature of PhysX 2.8.4.x branch is the driverless model. In a word, with driverless model, the PhysX system software is no longer required to run a PhysX app. The developer ships with its app few PhysX DLLs and that’s all. Here is how things work:

Driverless PhysXLoader for PC CPU distribution:
In 2.8.4, application developers must ship PhysXCore.dll, PhysXCooking.dll, the cudarXX_XX_X.dll and physxdevice.dll with the application ‘locally’, in the directory where the .exe is located:

The application requests PhysXCore or PhysXCooking (v 2.8.4) from the PhysXLoader.
PhysXLoader searches for another DLL called ‘PhysXUpdateLoader’.
If PhysXUpdateLoader is not found, PhysXLoader will load the local PhysXCore or PhysXCooking.
If PhysXUpdateLoader is found, it looks for an updated replacement for the PhysXCore or PhysXCooking dlls.
If PhysXUpdateLoader cannot find the specified replacement DLL, PhysXLoader will load the local PhysXCore or PhysXCooking dlls.
If PhysXUpdateLoader can find the replacement DLLs, these will be loaded in place of the local PhysCore or PhysXCooking dlls.
The net result is that the developer has more control over the game installation process, doesn’t have to worry about shipping a large System Software with the game, doesn’t have to worry that the player will break his System Software somehow, etc.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20100922/physx-sd...imulation/

In the release notes of the PhysX SDK 2.8.4.4, there is this line:

Performance:
Optimized cloth simulation on PS3, XBOX 360, PC CPU

The new PhysX SDK 2.8.4 comes with an optimized CPU cloth simulation path and is compiled with SSE2 option. Optimized CPU cloth simulation ? According to the test I did, this is true. The cloth sample shipped with PhysX SDK shows clearly the gain in performance. I tested on my dev system with a GTX 460 (R260.63) + Quad Core X 9650 @ 3.2GHz:

- PhysX 2.8.4: 443 FPS
- PhysX 2.8.3: 112 FPS

We have a gain of 4X in performance which is really nice.

The guys at gamevicio.com.br have similar results with the cloth demo.

Can we expect any developer response on this subject?

Greetings. smile
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2010 08:00 PM by thecoder.)
09-22-2010 07:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: PhysX SDK Update
Yeah, Ill add this soon.
09-22-2010 08:04 PM
thecoder Offline

That would be really awesome, I'll keep waiting for it (and probably not only me wink )! smile
09-22-2010 08:05 PM
Chris Offline

Thanks, this'll be an amazing update! Also I second what people said in another thread about performance/quality improvements for low-end computers - its fantastic to have an engine get faster and more lightweight as well as powerful with releases - most engines i've tried get bloated and more complicated as they grow.
09-22-2010 10:26 PM