About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Question regarding APP_NO_FX
Impz0r Offline

Question regarding APP_NO_FX
Hey there,

I was wondering about the APP_NO_FX mode. What exactely does this mode do/don't do? The thing is I'm in need to build a dedicated server which has to run in parallel to the actual game. This means two running versions of the esenthel engine.

This does work, as long as you dont switch into fullscreen, then the dedicated will crash at startup and prompts the message: "Failed to create D3dDevice". I guess this means, that you cant create two d3d devices because of the fullscreen exclusive mode? If so this is really bad.. I've right now no clue how to get around this issue.

Is there any chance Esenthel to no create a d3d device while using the APP_NO_FX flag? This would really help me getting my dedicated up and running. I guess it wouldn't be only helpful to me wink

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.

Mfg Imp
07-02-2010 03:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Question regarding APP_NO_FX
d3d is always created, fullscreen shouldn't affect this, maybe you're out of video ram
07-02-2010 05:53 AM
Impz0r Offline

For what is the d3d device exactely used while unter the APP_NO_FX mode?

So it should be possible to run two Esenthel applications, one in fullscreen and one in window mode at the same time?

PS: I allways do get the "Can't create Direct3d device." error while running the client in fullscreen and starting the dedicated in window mode. And not only me, I asked a friend to try it too, he also gets the message every time he tries it. So I was wondering if Direct3d is runing in some kind of an exclusive mode while in fullscreen which does prevent other applications to create an all new 3d device?

PPS: I just read Microsoft specifics (last paragraph), and it seems that there is no chance in running a Direct3D Device in exclusive and another in window mode. The one in window mode will allways be in lost state and has no access to vid-ram whatsoever.. this is really really bad news. Therefore I'd like to propose a new flag "APP_REALLY_NO_FX" which does what the APP_NO_FX doensn't deliver, no d3d device creation whatsoever. Any chances of getting this?

Thanks in advance.

Mfg Imp
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2010 03:36 PM by Impz0r.)
07-02-2010 02:34 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Yes, I was able to successfuly launch multiple instances of Mesh Editor, and then switch one of the to full screen, then Alt tab, and launch other instances too.

d3d device is always used for textures, models, backbuffer, etc.
APP_NO_FX just loads less resources.

you can launch the server first and run in the background, then run the game fullscreen.
maybe this would work. In the nearest future I won't add not creating d3d - too busy with other stuff.
07-02-2010 06:24 PM
Impz0r Offline

Well thanks Esenthel. It's sad that there is no engine instantiation without initializing the d3d video driver. But anyways I need to find a way round.

Any tips to reduce the overall memory usage of the engine while in APP_NO_FX mode, like resizing the video mode to (1,1) ?

Mfg Imp
07-04-2010 12:35 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

you can also try setting

Materials.mode(CACHE_ALL_NULL or CACHE_ALL_DUMMY);

the same would go to Images, Meshs, ...
07-04-2010 12:38 PM
Impz0r Offline

Thanks Esenthel.

I've just tried the solution with loading the dedicated before the client switches to fullscreen. It seems to work until I tab out of the client. If I do, the dedicated application promts a message which says: "Can't set new or old display mode" and the application window of the dedicated is resized to default (800, 600) and the programm crashes thereafter (that migh be my fault..) but what's with this message ?

Does that mean, the dedicated is in device lost state and tries to recover? Is there a chance to suppress this?

Thanks in advance.

Mfg Imp
07-04-2010 01:36 PM
MrPi Offline

I have to agree that a new mode should be added that doesn't require D3D, especially since the minimum requirement is Shader Model 2.0. If anybody wants to use the engine for a dedicated server running on a leased machine, which rarely have sophisticated graphic cards, they have no chance in doing so.
07-09-2010 01:41 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

once it will be critically important, I can implement that smile
07-09-2010 04:55 PM
menajev Offline

I would like to see that implemented, too.
07-09-2010 05:14 PM
Dynad Offline

same here

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
07-09-2010 05:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
decline Offline

Me too, while we're at it.
07-10-2010 04:56 PM
Impz0r Offline

Heh, didn't though that there are actually other who have use for such no-direct3d mode. Nice. Keep'm coming, maybe we get Esenthel to change his mind wink

Bump for great justice!
07-11-2010 12:10 AM