About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Simple Startup Tutorial
adder6 Offline

Simple Startup Tutorial
Hi,

I was wondering if you can help me. I'm beginning a simple program in Esenthel. I was making my own engine but hit a brick wall with animations. Some did display but it was too complex. I'm at improver level with C++ and I'm just getting used to Visual C++ having moved over from Code::Blocks.

I'm confused as to how to start. I have followd the instructions in the documentation yet my compiler is suggesting errors. It cannot find many of the required files. I have a question.

1)Is copying the data required in the documentation not enough? Do I need to manually add files within Visual C++ to get this to run?

Sorry for a n00b question I just need a few pointers. I've found and copied the source file Start00 in the SDK and that's what I'm trying to run. Thanks so much smile
08-12-2010 02:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Simple Startup Tutorial
Hi, yesterday I made a new video here http://www.esenthel.com/?id=download
please check it out
which Visual Studio do you have?

if video wont help, please paste the compiler errors here
08-12-2010 03:33 PM
adder6 Offline

Hi,

I tried the video it was very nice. Still couldn't get i to work though. Maybe I didn't understand it well enough wink

I would like to know simply how to set-up the dependencies properly. Everything is copied as said in the documentation. Maybe I can build this with code::blocks? I don't really know. I understand how to use libraries and header files well enough, maybe I'm just not familiar with Esenthel layout yet?

Can you or someone tell me exactly how to set-up IDE so it can find all it needs? If not just say no if this is too much explanation wink

Thank you for your reply.
08-12-2010 03:56 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

code blocks is not officialy supported, please use VS, please paste the compiler errors.

which Visual Studio do you have? 2008?
08-12-2010 05:03 PM
adder6 Offline

Apologies sir I'm having a seriously bad day. I will respond more thoroughly as soon as I can please don't think I am not grateful for your assistance. It means alot to receive a reply.
08-12-2010 06:09 PM
adder6 Offline

Code:
1>------ Build started: Project: Lessson 1, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  Lesson 1.cpp
1>c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\gaming\esenthel\tutorials\lessson 1\lessson 1\lesson 1.cpp(43): warning C4305: 'argument' : truncation from 'double' to 'Flt'
1>c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\gaming\esenthel\tutorials\lessson 1\lessson 1\lesson 1.cpp(44): warning C4305: 'argument' : truncation from 'double' to 'Flt'
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1561: entry point must be defined
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Ok sir that is what happens when I try and run a new tutorial project with the start lesson code copied into my own .cpp file called Lesson 1. I have copied with 2 header files resource.h and stdafx.h into the directory and included them. I hope that is some use thankyou for your offer of help.

I believe there is no main loop for this program and makes me think maybe I have built the wrong kind of project or file. I suspect the compiler is looking for an int main or int WINAPI main line.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2010 11:28 PM by adder6.)
08-12-2010 11:26 PM
Barthap Offline

hmm, you are including engine headers but you must link EsenthelEngine.lib to your project. WinMain function is in that library
08-13-2010 06:29 AM
adder6 Offline

Makes much sense mate what you say. I thought I'd done all that though when installaing. DO I have to manually add te library to th project?
I did that and then got this:

Code:
LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'LIBCMT' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

Crackers. Gods knows what I'm doing wrong now grin
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2010 08:17 AM by adder6.)
08-13-2010 07:59 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

08-13-2010 10:09 AM
adder6 Offline

I will do exactly as you say and report back thank you.
08-13-2010 12:41 PM
Zervox Offline

do you have Yes (/NODEFAULTLIB) in the visual studio linker configuration?
08-13-2010 12:46 PM
adder6 Offline

I will respond to this also as soon as I can thanks for the help.
08-13-2010 04:12 PM
adder6 Offline

I'm still a bit busy so I'll respond again in the future. Seem to remember seeing something about conversion not working maybe I should be in VS2008 not VS2010? Perhaps that's some help? Sorry can't be clearer I am very glad you have all replied.
08-13-2010 05:28 PM
Zervox Offline

No problems with VS2008 even though VS2010 should work.
08-13-2010 05:30 PM
adder6 Offline

I have been beavering away with still no luck has anyone got any more suggestions? Should i switch to VS2008 do you think?

Thanks so much,

Chris

**Apologies I think it might be my settings in VS. I think I need to learn more from the ground up about this amazing engine. Is there somewhere I can learn exactly how it loads its resource and exactly why it's needs the settings it does? Is there a book on this? This really is a great tool I intend to use it! ;o)
I found this:

Code:
1>LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'LIBCMT' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

So sorry to be a pain but why does it do this. I know a lot about some areas of game programming yet so far to go in others!! I believe our friend above a few posts back had it nailed. I will continue to try as hard as I can to fix. Will be so happy just to see that tutorial screen appear :o)
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2010 10:12 PM by adder6.)
08-15-2010 10:06 PM