About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Simple Startup Tutorial
Zervox Offline

RE: Simple Startup Tutorial
Already wrote earlier how you removed it.

Right click your solution in visual studio, go to configuration properties -> linker -> input -> Ignore all default libraries -> copy paste inside the box Yes (/NODEFAULTLIB)
08-15-2010 10:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
adder6 Offline

Above issue is now fixed as per the recommendation. I found the relevant setting. It now complains about something else I'll post the code up tomorrow. Thanks again.

**Edit** Thankyou for your reply Zervox. If I'm too n00b to waste time with for now please just say so and I'll do more work on my own and only ask questions after more intense work on my part. I don't want to be a burden ;o)
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2010 03:49 AM by adder6.)
08-16-2010 03:47 AM
Zervox Offline

Nah, its no biggie, remember I started programming 3 months ago, so I am quite noob in general regarding programming as well etc. ; )
08-16-2010 07:12 AM
adder6 Offline

Well you're further on than me! :o) I shouldn't have spent so much time in directX I went all the way up to writing my own mesh extraction code which makes a mesh into four arrays in a binary file. Then I started animating grass roots style. Dumb. I should've just learned this engine instead of wasting 100's of hours on something that won't go anywhere.

Anyway you live and learn. If I get any further with the engine I'll re-post. It's on about unresolved symbols or something right now I'll have a *very* thorough check to make sure I've done all the installation bits and try again. Thanks.
08-16-2010 12:06 PM
Zervox Offline

Yeah, more correctly 3 months ago I really sat down trying to learn c++ and directx, tried alot of different languages and engines.
I started the same way except I tried programming a RTS Engine as a first project, using quite a few books to gather different things to use, put it on the shelf, have also tried atleast 40 different Engines before settling with Esenthel.

You could try using VS2008, I just think its way easier to set up.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2010 01:57 PM by Zervox.)
08-16-2010 01:56 PM
adder6 Offline

Deal I'll uninstall and grab 2008 thanks mate ;oD

**Edit** out of curiousity what did you think of unity? I'd be interested to hear how it stacks up versus Esenthel.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2010 03:28 PM by adder6.)
08-16-2010 03:25 PM
Zervox Offline

Both have their up and downs, Unity seemed to handle large amount of actors better, though it isnt as open as Esenthel, Unity was extremely easy to use for FAST prototyping, but I always noticed changing scripts often, rewriting them etc soon became a hazzle when trying to create large worlds. Also the terrain manager wasnt too impressive. The indie version was a laugh. But as said they are both good engines. In my case I fell in love with Esenthel Engine. : )
08-16-2010 03:34 PM
adder6 Offline

Really interesting you know your stuff boyo! I wish I'd done what you did instead of messing with DirectX so much. You live and learn I suppose.

Thanks for the tips - I'm downloading 2008 now. Might be easier to follow the installation instructions ;o) If not well I suppose I could use Unity.
08-16-2010 03:39 PM
Zervox Offline

Well, look at it like this, messing with DirectX also in many cases teaches you things behind the scenes on engines, in many ways you will get to know the shortcomings and work around them, even if a engine doesnt give you the source code to the rendering sets. In fact any programming experience can help you get more comfortable with perhaps someday writing your own renderer and the likes.

And as every programmer has told me, you can shelf projects,but dont give up learning, take them back in the future look over them, perhaps rewrite them or improve them.

Even if your dream project is a Real time strategy, learning to create first person shooters can really help grasp structuring the projects. wink
08-16-2010 04:01 PM
adder6 Offline

Aww thanks you've been great cheers, a wonderful attitude thanks mate ;o)
08-16-2010 04:50 PM