About Store Forum Documentation Contact

How did you make your autoupdater?
Dandruff Offline

How did you make your autoupdater?
In reply to my previous topic, you said you had only used a few downloaders to update files. How did you manage this? Did you recycle the downloaders (re-use) after download complete or by doing something else?

I am also curious in how you communicated with the server and say you only want to update the specified files only and not downloading everything again. Is your update server an application built from the esenthel engine or are they just files sitting on your server (like ftp)?
If its the latter, how did you communicate with the server? Did you download a text file or something to tell the client application what to check for/download ie: size, modify date?

Sorry if i ask so much questions, but i want an easy and fast way for my friends to download their files off me. I wouldn't want them to feel discouraged from downloading zipped files and re-extracting them every time, so this will make them more susceptible in testing the product from time to time smile

Thanks Esenthel!

Also, im using a free+open source http file server application, which is running 24/7 on my old computer, for the update server. Just wanted to share that; it is a really great application.
You can get the http file server here: HFS. Its a breeze to get it up and running. It requires no install and if you haven't tried it before i would strongly recommend it!
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2010 08:40 AM by Dandruff.)
11-18-2010 08:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: How did you make your autoupdater?
Hi,

More specifically im using about 8 threads, each creates new Download object once file needs to be updated (they're not reused).

I don't use any app on the server, just regular files.
To check which files need to be downloaded I checkup first "index.pak" on the server, which stores the list (ony file names without data) of all files on the server, then I compare the files with what's on the local computer, and download those that are different.
11-18-2010 12:50 PM
Dandruff Offline

RE: How did you make your autoupdater?
Cool, im going to try to make use of threads too. Now i also know what the use of the "no data" button does. Thanks for this information, im going to see what i can do smile
11-19-2010 12:33 AM