About Store Forum Documentation Contact

random scale object placement
Nark100 Offline

random scale object placement
maybe im just blind but i think there should be a random object scale option when placing objects in the world editor much like the random object rotation option. would this be difficult to implement? or is there a way to do it currently?
12-17-2010 05:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

RE: random scale object placement
Yes, I've thought of this to. I don't believe there is anyway to do this at the moment. The editor would need to let you specify a range to randomly select between. i.e. 1.0 being 100% scale, so you could set the range to be between 0.8 to 1.2 for example.
12-17-2010 07:32 AM
runewake2 Offline

It would be nice. Would make trees look less uniform when you place them adding a random rotation and scale to the object. I really liked this in Unity and in EE it would be nice.
12-17-2010 04:52 PM
menajev Offline

You can easily make it on your own - every time object is created create(obj) function is called.
Make something like
Code:
stuct Static : Game::Static
{
void create(Obj obj);
}
void create(Obj obj)
{
__super::create(obj);
matrix.scale(randomScale);
}
Can't remember all names but in tutorials you should find everything.
12-17-2010 05:05 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

I would like something like this as an option available in the world editor as well. The more we're able to do in the editor means the less we have to code. I recently created an area with lots of little gemstones littering the ground and having this option would be great so they all don't look the same size. The random angle worked wonderfully though. To have both options would allow us to place multiple objects like this in a matter of seconds as opposed to scaling each individual one and/or doing more code to create the effect.
12-17-2010 08:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Masterxilo Offline

It would be cool if the editor could be extended through .dll plugins we can write and compile ourselves...
12-17-2010 09:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joacorock Offline

(12-17-2010 09:27 PM)Masterxilo Wrote:  It would be cool if the editor could be extended through .dll plugins we can write and compile ourselves...

With Professional license you can do something similar to that.
12-18-2010 01:28 PM
yvanvds Offline

The way I worked around it was by making a few different objects for every three mesh. (Also for plants, rocks and such.) Not that much work, just change the scaling and save the object with a new name.

Once that's done, you can easily make an object list and paint them all over. I have lots of different lists of objects, and you can save/load them also.
12-30-2010 11:33 PM
Seba Offline

In WE you have in Object menu Random Object Angle on Insert, or Ctr+R.
12-30-2010 11:42 PM
Masterxilo Offline

Right but not random scale.
12-30-2010 11:59 PM