About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Materials in mesh editor?
dragonfly3 Offline

Materials in mesh editor?
I got the new updated UI and now I'm completely lost with how to apply materials. There's no material option and I can't figure out how to save each part material. I had finally mastered applying materials and altering their scaling pretty fast and now I'm completely lost. How do we do materials on our model parts now?
12-22-2010 12:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Materials in mesh editor?
You can use mesh\material list
Or the button in the top left corner and there you will find material editor
12-22-2010 12:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragonfly3 Offline

aaaah, ok, I didn't see the button in the top left. Thanks! smile
12-22-2010 12:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragonfly3 Offline

I'm having a reeeeeeaaallly hard time with the new material editor. I'm doing each part as usual but for whatever crazy reason it keeps saving the textures as the same thing. Even though i have different textures assigned to each part, for some reason it saves whatever texture I used last for all of them.

I select a part, check the box to have only that part showing, bring up the material editor, click on the part which brings its material up in the material editor. I click on New. I drag and drop the .jpg onto it and click on Set. It applies it to the part and shows the material name as being " ". Then normally I would go to File-->Save and save it as a material file but it doesn't offer this anymore so I click on Overwrite and type in a whole new name (because overwriting the actual material files wasn't working either) like "leaf" so it saves it as leaf.mtrl. When you click on the part it says it has leaf.mtrl on it. Then I go the the next part-the tree trunk-and follow the same procedure and save it as "bark" but when I do this it changes leaf. mtrl to the bark material.

As soon as I'm done, I close the material editor and uncheck the box to allow all parts to show and this is what I get-the leaves have now changed to the bark2 material:

I've been messing with it all day and it's driving me crazy. Please, please bring back the old save method where you can manually save a material file instead of offering only the overwrite. I've wasted an entire day of work trying to get it to put bark on my tree trunks and leaves on my leaves.

Here are screenies:
Here I have selected a part and applied the leafy .jpg to it and clicked on Overwrite and saved it as leaf. You can see it is applied to the part and it is saved onto the part as leaf.mtrl in this pic.

As soon as I'm done, I close the material editor and uncheck the box in the UI to allow the entire model to display and you can see all of the leaves have the leaf texture, as well as the tree trunk.

Here you can see I've selected the trunk, and you can see the material on it is called bark2.mtrl

Here I've selected the tree trunk, opened the material editor, clicked on the trunk, selected New in the material editor, drag+dropped the bark .jpg into the material editor, clicked on Set. You can see by the "Name" that it has no name since it is a new material (it says Name:""). I clicked on Overwrite and saved it as bark2.mtrl (this is the picture at the bottom shown as the attachment)

However, you can see here that when you select a leaf it clearly shows that it still has the leaf.mtrl attached to it. Yet I never touched it while changing the bark texture. I'll post that pic in the next post
here's the final picture showing the bark texture with the leaf.mtrl extension.

So I'm guessing that when I click overwrite it overwrites the material it has on it automatically? Then opens a save window? I would like the option to be able to save manually as we had before.
I even tried setting them without clicking overwrite and it still changes the material to the entire mesh

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2010 03:35 AM by dragonfly3.)
12-22-2010 02:51 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

I've just tested creating new materials and applying them to different parts and it works ok.

I haven't made any other changes, except option of setting the material using RMB on a meshpart, except that, everything works just like before.

The option to manually save the material is available here:

Attached File(s) Image(s)

12-22-2010 03:40 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

wow, again I completely missed something that was right in front of my face. Thanks, I'll try again using the manual save.
12-22-2010 03:43 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:When you click on the part it says it has leaf.mtrl on it. Then I go the the next part-the tree trunk-and follow the same procedure and save it as "bark" but when I do this it changes leaf. mtrl to the bark material.
did you press "New" before creating new material, or did you apply bark textures on leaf material?
12-22-2010 03:45 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

ugh, I'm about to give up. It still won't work. It's still changing all of the materials to the same one. I've given myself a headache. I like the previous mesh editor better. I just can't figure out how to get this one to work.
I just now even tried to create the materials separate without the mesh loaded and it still didn't work. No matter what I do it applies one material across the entire mesh
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2010 03:50 AM by dragonfly3.)
12-22-2010 03:46 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Can you make a step by step video of the problem so I will see it?
12-22-2010 03:55 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

working on it now. It's gonna take a little bit to get it done but I'll post it asap
12-22-2010 04:03 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I've tested again just now creating new materials and applying them on different parts, and it's working ok.
I'll check the video tomorrow - it's 4 am now for me.
12-22-2010 04:04 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

It won't let me upload the video here. You can view it at:

http://dvinethreads.com/mesheditor.wmv
I just created a brand new .3ds file instead of using an .obj file and started all over from scratch and still got the same problem. Am I the only one having problems setting materials on mesh parts??
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2010 05:13 AM by dragonfly3.)
12-22-2010 04:52 AM
Seba Offline

First save new material then set it to model.
12-22-2010 12:38 PM
Zervox Offline

if you want to apply a material to a specific part you will notice on the file, edit, view, mesh and to the far right < > arrows that changes which parts you are using then click to the part you want and then in material editor press "set"

Also in your case you should use the mesh->join parts-> with the same materials.

164 parts?? thats a mess!
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2010 02:02 PM by Zervox.)
12-22-2010 02:01 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

I've made the same steps as you did when applying materials on different parts, and it works ok.

It looks like the 2nd GFX texture overwrites the 1st GFX file.

1. Where are the source textures located? png/jpg?
What's the full paths for both textures? (c:\...)

2. after applying both textures, where are the GFX files generated? - you can check this by moving the mouse cursor over the "Diffuse Slot" in Material Editor, it will show the path for the GFX file.
What are the full paths for 2 GFX files? (bark and leaf)
12-22-2010 04:31 PM