Administrator

Header Browser Tool
What do you think of such a tool for easier header browsing:

It would have much easier browsing than Visual Studio:
LMB - jump to element definition
RMB - go back to previous location
Optionally hide method bodies.
Hide all "private:" stuff.
Once you move mouse cursor over element, it automatically displays the element definition in quick preview on the right (like on screen below).
Too long lines are automatically displayed in rectangle below mouse cursor (like on screen below).

I'm thinking of adding this tool instead of "Extra/API Reference.chm" doxygen file.

The tool will have also list of namespaces/classes, with realtime search and display.

(tool is of course EE based application)

Let me know your thoughts.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

01-01-2011 04:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Masterxilo Offline

RE: Header Browser Tool
I'd prefer the comments to be above the function definitions so Visual Studio can display them in the IntelliSense popup window so I don't have to go look up any functions at all.
EDIT: Actually, this is not even your fault but M$' because it should also display comments placed after declarations. I reported this quite some time ago: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/s0we08bk.aspx -> https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStud...wsignin1.0

As for the tool, it's a nice idea but VS can do all of that (go to definition/definition window...).

How did you make to syntax highlighting? Custom drawing of control? Or is this supported somehow?

Btw. How did you get doxygen to parse the comments that are placed after the functions anyways? I thought you have to use "///<" for that. Maybe you have your own headers that are parsed by some tools for release versions...
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2011 04:55 AM by Masterxilo.)
01-01-2011 04:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Online
Administrator

Quote:How did you make to syntax highlighting? Custom drawing of control? Or is this supported somehow?

EE gui Text::code, with custom parsing the c++ syntax

Quote:Btw. How did you get doxygen to parse the comments that are placed after the functions anyways? I thought you have to use "///<" for that
yeah, tool that converts ee headers to doxygen compatible headers.
01-01-2011 05:06 AM
fatcoder Offline

I'm pretty happy with using VS to look stuff up. Doesn't really bother me. Anyway, having this tool would just mean another window you need to have open somewhere.
01-01-2011 02:44 PM
Esenthel Online
Administrator

nobody wants it?
01-01-2011 02:58 PM
Harry Offline

I'm used to browse headers in Visual and I've never use doxygen file but for me this tool would be interesting. Only disadvantage is like fatcoder wrote: you need to have opened another window (actually just like doxygen file).
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2011 03:06 PM by Harry.)
01-01-2011 03:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Online
Administrator

what about people that use doxygen file? (I personally don't use it)
01-01-2011 03:06 PM
Barthap Offline

4 me header browser is not bad idea. I think users can add their own comments to classes and funcs. Best way 4 users is integration with visual studio but it is not so easy.

You can delete doxygen-generated docs. Probably nobody use it.
01-01-2011 05:17 PM
Masterxilo Offline

I do use the doxygen docs. It gives a nice overview of inheriting classes and navigation to a declaration of some function or class is faster than in VS. However I wouldn't mind that much not having it.

But I would leave it in since I don't think maintaining it is too big an effort and it's almost a standard for c++ libs. Many developers are certainly even much more used to looking up up things in doxygen documentation than I am (and maybe also more used to doing this than looking for comments in headers...).
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2011 12:49 AM by Masterxilo.)
01-02-2011 12:45 AM
Barthap Offline

Ok, so if new tool will be very good and usefull, it'll replace doxygen docs, ok?
01-02-2011 11:06 AM
Harry Offline

Maybe for some time in SDK should be doxygen and new tool together? Maybe it'll be useful even for people who use VS headers.
01-02-2011 12:40 PM
Chris Offline

Perhaps we could try it, then have a poll? Hard to see what its like with just pictures smile
01-02-2011 01:09 PM
Barthap Offline

Esenthel, you can make alpha/beta version of tool for tests, then we'll have a poll about it.

(01-01-2011 04:42 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  Optionally hide method bodies.
(joke) Yeach, I'll never use this option, I want to see bodies of some methods, which can see only Esenthel and people with ultimate license smile
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2011 03:32 PM by Barthap.)
01-02-2011 02:21 PM
joacorock Offline

I like it smile, every tool is appreciated
01-02-2011 05:57 PM
Esenthel Online
Administrator

Ok, I'll finish it! smile
01-02-2011 07:04 PM