About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Collada and Textures
OverTheTop Offline

Collada and Textures
Hi All,

I'll just like to start off by saying hello to the community, I've only being using Esenthel for a few days but I am enjoying using the engine and seeing the great support the community gives.

I have just created a static object in 3DS Max and have exported it using ColladaExporter. When I open the object up in ModelViewer it appears not to have the textures I applied in 3DS Max. Do I need to reapply them again in ModelViewer? Or have I missed something in exporting with texture files etc.

Thanks for any help,

Louis
01-10-2011 03:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Collada and Textures
Hello and welcome!

Which collada exporter did you use?

Builtin or OpenCollada?
01-10-2011 03:24 AM
OverTheTop Offline

COLLADAMax Plugin found at this address http://sourceforge.net/projects/colladamaya/

That's not OpenCollada either.

Thanks for the quick reply,
01-10-2011 11:25 AM
llynx Offline

Try OpenCollada with the export settings shown in the documentation file.
01-10-2011 02:30 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

But you can also send me the textures+max+dae files (preserving the same folder hierarchy structure) so I can check if everything is ok.
01-10-2011 04:43 PM
OverTheTop Offline

Thanks for the reply guys.

I installed OpenCOLLADA and exported using it, into the same directory as the original .max file and openened in Model Editor. Still no textures on the model itself, and it creates all the .mtrl files inside that directory (its just they're all white...). Any ideas or should I just do texturing in Model Editor instead of 3ds?

Couple of side questions too. How are 'parts' defined in the Model Editor (are they just a group of shapes?) and once I have opened up a model in Model Editor do I simply just move all the .mtrl files and .mesh file into their respective folders in the Data heirachy?
[/align]
Thanks for all your help,
Louis
01-11-2011 05:09 AM
Tottel Offline

I believe I used the native built-in exporter (updated to the most recent version though) and that worked just fine.
Also, try just hitting 'm' and drag the texture (in whatever format it is in) onto that grey sphere, or into the 'diffuse' panel.
01-11-2011 09:05 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Please send files so I can investigate
Yeah you can just copy files to game data but you can also first copy .max file to data so they got exported imported already in data folder
01-11-2011 02:16 PM
OverTheTop Offline

Thank you very much for all the replies and I managed to figure out the answers to all my questions. They were all very simple I just overlooked simple details. The exporting was being messed around with by another plugin for somereason would not export textures but its all running fine now.

Thanks for all the help,
01-11-2011 04:02 PM
Sandhya Offline

Hi, I also have a similar problem. Am using the native collada exporter in 3ds max. the collada files does not have textures applied in max file. what could be the reason? What could be those "simple details" which am not getting?
06-22-2011 10:22 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

You shouldn't use native exporter
06-22-2011 10:35 AM
Sandhya Offline

Can you suggest me a URL where i can find the appropriate plugin
06-24-2011 09:55 AM
Driklyn Offline

Mesh Importing -- Look under "Links to exporters" section. OpenCollada is recommended.
06-24-2011 11:08 PM
ghreef Offline

I use the process in the documentation against 3GS max 9. It works fine, I can see meshes and everything, even skeletons and animations. The only issue I find is when I copy the game folder to a new machine. Then the pointers to the mesh fails, but I also havent done troubleshooting - just saw it once and put it on my to do list. Let me know if I can help with your troubleshooting at all. I've imported about 200 models by now.
06-25-2011 03:15 PM
Sandhya Offline

I have 3ds max 2012. Will the plug in from open collada or the documentation work for me?
06-27-2011 06:01 AM