About Store Forum Documentation Contact

best way to generate so called geodata?
rndbit Offline

best way to generate so called geodata?
Hello. Me and my friend are working on mmo game that will run on game server that is already made (emulator of some game). Server has support for so called geodata - checking line of sight and walkability of map. Geodata is basically made of cells that have NSEW data and z value of cell, NSWE describes if player can move north, south, east or west from the cell. I guess screenshot makes it more clear. Green arrows mark direction user is allowed to move from the cell, and red ones obviously mark disability of movement to that direction. I attempted to use some primitive raycasting to gather that data, as you can see in the screenshot its not very accurate (very inaccurate haha). Anyhow im fairly new to engine and its functions, so i was wondering if there was better way to gather this data. Another idea is to make character walk from each cell to all 4 directions and see how char can move, but with my current knowledge process would be slow.. Moving character.. waiting until it reaches destination.. doing checks and so on. So maybe there is some better option to get to my goal?
01-11-2011 07:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: best way to generate so called geodata?
Hi,

you can use hmHeight methods (in Game::World Area, check in area headers)

or you can just specify walkable areas in the Editor (path mode)
and read Game::Area::path.walkable (check in area headers)
01-11-2011 07:46 PM
rndbit Offline

hmHeight is good for generating data for ground layer. however map will contain things like trees and houses, players should not be able to cast magic on to other players that hide behind the tree, so server needs data for that kind of check. i think path mode also does not cover this kind of issue. Another thing about path mode is going up to the steep hill. I suppose paths make are walkable to all directions. Relying on the client for walkability data is not an option - that would leave too much space for cheating. Anyhow thanks for swift advice :]
01-11-2011 08:03 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

after you set paths in Editor,
you can read them Game::Area::path.walkable, and save the info to custom files, so you can use it on server
01-11-2011 08:08 PM