About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Code Editor
Yurci Offline

Code Editor
Hey i have question about Code Editor.

This will have function of compile the code, or real-time checking of working of code?
02-01-2011 08:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Code Editor
what do you mean by checking working code?

it will convert .es files to .cpp/.h/vcproj, compile it using VS, and run.
if debugging is required, it will spawn the VS for it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Esenthel-E...8147263508
02-01-2011 09:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Barthap Offline

Any progress? When will be next engine release? In one, two weeks? I'm also waiting for version #2 of scripts (visual scripting), additional built in game object classes, docs and editor improvements smile
02-02-2011 08:10 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I'm hoping it to realease it in few days to 1,5 week, making intellisense work fully with all c++ features is not so easy, so it takes some time smile
About 75% is working of it already.
02-02-2011 04:58 PM
Barthap Offline

Oh yeah, I know. I implemented intellisense sometime ago and I know it's not easy. I made it for lua (it uses only tables, no classes as in c++) so it awasnt very difficult. C++ is very difficult language to implement it. But for You there arent any impossible things smile
02-02-2011 05:54 PM
fatcoder Offline

If it is going to convert .es files to .cpp/.h files, why bother with the .es files to begin with. Why not just let it work with .cpp/.h files directly. Also, if the header browser was integrated into this and removed as a separate tool, I think it will get used more.
02-03-2011 11:34 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

code editor will have many advantages over cpp/h
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...4#pid20574

you won't need to:
-separate classes into .h and .cpp
-write #include's for all files
-make sure that each class is declared first before it's used
-etc.
like in c
02-03-2011 11:40 PM
llynx Offline

Will your implementation of intellisense have some features of the EE header browser implemented?
02-04-2011 01:19 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Yes
02-04-2011 01:23 AM
fatcoder Offline

I'm most concerned about the debugging side of things. It is a major factor in writing code (unless you write perfect code every time). I've yet to find a scripting language that has decent debugging (i.e. being able to set break points, step through the code, inspect variables, etc...). It is the main reason why I don't use any scripting languages, or engines like UDK... just pure C++, so much easier to debug.

How do you plan to handle this? Will you just fall back to VS for debugging, or will there be built in es debugging? Either way, it needs to be very easy to use, otherwise I think a lot of people (me included) will just stick with VS and cpp/h files. I love that I can run my code, break execution anywhere, edit, and run again. If I can't do that easily with es, then I just don't see it getting used. Sorry, not trying to be negative, just realistic. smile
02-05-2011 03:32 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

there're won't be any builtin debugging, VS will be activated for that.
02-05-2011 03:36 AM
fatcoder Offline

OK, that's fine. However what happens when you are stepping through your code in VS and then want to stop execution in order to work on the code you are looking at. Will you then need to go back to es and find the code in the scripts in order to make changes? If so, then unfortunately that is a deal breaker for me...
02-05-2011 04:13 AM