About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
345$/mo

Camera angle performance drop results?
Zervox Offline
Silver Supporter

Camera angle performance drop results?
I am noticing a performance drop just based on camera rotation.
This has been noticed on other computers as well.
Full performance
[attachment=1032]
Dropped performance
[attachment=1033]
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2011 10:39 PM by Zervox.)
02-16-2011 10:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: Camera angle performance drop results?
Maybe because the shadows are facing towards the camera in the last one? Although that would definitely be a big that is too big. pfft

Ah well, I don't even get above 80 fps anyway. No matter how low the visuals.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2011 10:48 PM by Tottel.)
02-16-2011 10:47 PM
Zervox Offline
Silver Supporter

the drop is noticed on both dx9 and dx10+ on all tutorial levels. and I also notice this in all of my other project scenes, although it doesnt drop as much.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2011 11:14 PM by Zervox.)
02-16-2011 10:55 PM
fatcoder Offline

I get the same thing...

Fast

Slow

I have noticed issues like this on many occasions and have discussed them extensively, such as in this thread (probably not exactly the same issue, but somewhat related).

http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=2852

Most people don't notice these sort of performance drops because they use vsync and are building games where a little fps drop here and there doesn't upset much.

However if you are working on a game that uses physics such as a car racing game for example, then you may want to look at another engine. You'll notice in the test you did, when you move the camera from one side to the other you can get a stutter effect, more so if you turn FRAPS off and put your own fps read out code in like I did. It is this stutter effect that will make your physics do strange things and make a car unenjoyable to drive.

Anyway, long story short... I never found a solution and gave up using EE for that particular physics based project.
02-16-2011 11:13 PM
Zervox Offline
Silver Supporter

indeed I noticed performance over time drops as well and actually it was possible to improve performance just by reinstalling physx software when EE used the installer version.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2011 11:20 PM by Zervox.)
02-16-2011 11:18 PM
fatcoder Offline

Hang on... so are you saying you have now solved the problem by reinstalling your PhysX drivers?
02-16-2011 11:20 PM
Zervox Offline
Silver Supporter

when it was possible to do so, now it uses the .dll's which doesnt change anything. but that issue was not related to the camera performance drop.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2011 11:22 PM by Zervox.)
02-16-2011 11:21 PM
Dynad Offline

May i ask what kind of machine you have Fatcoder? That fps is kinda insane if i compare it with mine XD

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
02-16-2011 11:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

Hahaha... actually, I was starting to think my machine was getting old. It is about 12 months old now and I upgrade it every year. It currently has an i7 with 6GB RAM and a GTX 470.

Anyway, I didn't think reinstalling the PhysX drivers would help, especially being dll's now. Anyway, the performance drop is not related to the physics at all. It is a rendering problem, but the drop in performance effects the physics. If that makes sense.
02-16-2011 11:43 PM
Zervox Offline
Silver Supporter

1920x1200 fps = 315 on non rotated view, 235 fps on rotated.
800x600 fps = 820 on non rotated view ,and 775 fps on rotated.

Something else which might be wrong here? I've never seen such performance drops in other engines just because of resolutions, this is the first time I actually tested to check performance in EE based on simple worlds and simple settings change.
(02-16-2011 11:43 PM)fatcoder Wrote:  Hahaha... actually, I was starting to think my machine was getting old. It is about 12 months old now and I upgrade it every year. It currently has an i7 with 6GB RAM and a GTX 470.
Something is wrong then, because I haven't seen the GTX470 beat a HD5970 that much in performance, even less beat a HD6970.

1055T 3.4Ghz, 8GB Ram and HD6970, another rig with HD5970. and you outperform them close to 3x overall
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2011 11:49 PM by Zervox.)
02-16-2011 11:45 PM
Harry Offline

I checked it because this thread interest me and I have a performance drop but not huge as yours - from 265 do 202 fps.

But I found some thing which interested me more. I didn't see it in another games/applications but when I have for example open Firefox or some porgrams and start a 3d application created on EE fps rapidly drop down for example from 30 to 15. I'm writing this because as I wrote above I didn't observe it in another games. Maybe fps drop was only about 1-2 fps. Is it normal?
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2011 11:59 PM by Harry.)
02-16-2011 11:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

@zervox, as previously mentioned, switch FRAPS off. It is a massive fps sucker, so you won't get a true read out. I'm assuming you are still using it.

@harry, do you notice any issues with physics with your car in Forest Valley, or do you use vsync, or just run at a low fps anyway (in which case you probably wouldn't notice much).
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2011 11:57 PM by fatcoder.)
02-16-2011 11:55 PM
Zervox Offline
Silver Supporter

No, I use both for read-out and I get only 3-10 fps difference with Fraps off.

@harry, no changes in fps here with Opera open with almost 30 tabs or so.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2011 12:03 AM by Zervox.)
02-16-2011 11:59 PM
fatcoder Offline

Strange, perhaps you have some other bottleneck on your system that is handicapping your video card.

The fps will drop when you switch to another window, like firefox, but that is simply because the EE window has lost focus and slows down. It is supposed to do that.

Anyway, strange performance issue in EE still stands, so perhaps Esenthel will show up sometime and comment.
02-17-2011 12:06 AM
Harry Offline

In older versions when I get in the car fps change from for example 40 to 15, but now it's ok. Without vsync I have something around 43 fps in and outside car and with sync 42 outside car and 34 inside.

Edit: Maybe this issue I have because of bad optimalization of FV (in some places only 14 fps an in another 40-50). But anyway I have performance drop like you in this tutorial.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2011 12:13 AM by Harry.)
02-17-2011 12:06 AM