About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Code Editor
runewake2 Offline

Code Editor
I've been screwing around with the Code Editor for a while now and noticed one thing.

Say I type Draw. The help text pops up with suggestions but then after I place the period. It does not appear with suggestions of Text and more. Is this a problem on my end or with the Editor?
02-24-2011 08:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Code Editor
it's working ok, it means you've typed invalid symbol and it was replaced by correct one (closest existing match).
what's your full code? I can tell you why it's working like that once you copy it here.

to avoid this, after typing Draw you can press Escape, to close suggestions, or enable "menu/edit/autocomplete on enter only"
02-24-2011 09:11 PM
runewake2 Offline

I believe you misunderstood me.
I am trying to type Draw.text();
I type "Draw." and no suggested functions pop up.
I understand that typing something like "Dr." will insert "Draw" and that this occurs because of Autocomplete. I am looking for Class functions of Draw though and they do not appear.

As another example, if I type SampleClass and then a period afterward their is not list of SampleClass' functions.
02-24-2011 10:08 PM
Chris Offline

Isn't this is on the roadmap:

"auto-complete for esenthel engine symbols"

EDIT: and for now, as Esenthel said: If you go "Edit > Autocomplete on Enter only" you can type other things. It'd be good if closing and re-opening the editor could save these settings.

@ Esenthel, I still get blurry fonts, so VS is much nicer for my eyes to look at - do you not get this? Using 1920x1200 resolution and a Raedon 5xxx card with latest drivers. Wondering if its due to pixel alignment or just the font it's using. But yeah, I feel like i'll need glasses soon if I keep staring at the font, or the header browser.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2011 10:50 PM by Chris.)
02-24-2011 10:47 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

because there is no such thing as Draw.text(), that's why you don't find it
if guess you're looking for D.text (EE function)
but as stated in roadmap, EE symbols aren't yet available in autocomplete for Code Editor
02-24-2011 10:49 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(02-24-2011 10:47 PM)Chris Wrote:  @ Esenthel, I still get blurry fonts, so VS is much nicer for my eyes to look at - do you not get this? Using 1920x1200 resolution and a Raedon 5xxx card with latest drivers. Wondering if its due to pixel alignment or just the font it's using. But yeah, I feel like i'll need glasses soon if I keep staring at the font, or the header browser.
please attach PNG (lossless compression) screenshot
02-24-2011 10:50 PM
Chris Offline

Attached, with visual studio as comparrison:

02-24-2011 10:57 PM
runewake2 Offline

Sorry. I didn't look at the Roadmap today.

The font's are blurry on my computer as well (Nvidia 460). Perhaps it is just the font?

Also, thanks for pointing that out Chris and Esenthel.
02-24-2011 11:56 PM
fatcoder Offline

I've had a quick play with the code editor for a few minutes and here's my list... would start a new thread, but runewake stole my thread name lol

1. Font too fuzzy as everyone else has pointed out. Font should be crisp and thin like in VS.

2. The Build Results window pops up over your code and I can't find any way to close it.

3. I tried compile the "Learning the Language" example and it seems to take longer than with VS. Perhaps because it has to generate files and invoke the compiler. Anyway, would good if you could get it on par.

4. Run To Cursor does nothing? Perhaps I'm not using it right or maybe it isn't finished yet?

5. Autocomplete should also work when pressing Tab. VS does and I've become very used to hitting Tab now.

6. At the moment you can click anywhere on a line and start typing at that point leaving a lot of white space on the line. When clicking on a line, the cursor should start flashing either between the two selected characters or at the end of the last character on the line. Therefore if you click half way a long a blank line, the cursor should start flashing at the start of the line.

7. Can indentation be a tab rather than 3 spaces? It is much easier to indent with tabs than hitting the spacebar many times.

8. Also could we get some auto indenting when selecting blank lines. For example, if you click on a blank line inside a method, it should auto indent once, rather than starting at the start of the line as I mentioned in point 6. Also, if you click on a blank line inside an if statement, it would be great if it could auto indent one level deeper than the if statement itself.
02-25-2011 12:55 AM
Chris Offline

Oh, we're doing one of these threads now smile

On positives, I really like the scroll block in the bottom right, it's a nice touch. In addition to what fatcoder said, it'd nice to have code folding - I know you like doing things differently; if you've really customised it, you could animate the code folding pfft Or even be creative and represent folded code larger fonts/or separator lines (or instead of having /*******/ you could visually draw lines when it detects a bar - to spice things up. Can represent collapsed classes as transparent boxes with inheritance arrows (code underneath them, fading to-and-thro). Perhaps later extended to a drag-and-drop class creation interface doing inheritance and correct OOP etc for newcomers to the language. But as interesting as those sorts of things would be, I would personally still prefer improvements to the rendering & engine quality.
02-25-2011 01:15 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

will be in next release

Attached File(s) Image(s)

02-25-2011 03:23 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

2. alt+2 (menu "view/build results")
4. not yet available
5. ill do that
7. I don't understand, you just need to press tab, and it will automatically insert 3 spaces
02-25-2011 03:27 AM
runewake2 Offline

I prefer the spaces rather than just a generic tab character. I personally have started using the space bar instead of tab just as a habit so this does not effect me much.

It would be nice to be able to collapse classes and functions. Perhaps using a more Mathematica style than a Visual Studio style.

Also in the future a "Find Asset" option would be nice. Pretty much this would allow you to write an animation script and then, instead of writing the path, you could open a window and locate the file and the location would be created for you. This would be a nice additional feature.

Another suggestion: could you have it so that when you create a new project it will create a whole project layout. What I mean is that it will copy the Data Folder to the new project from your Esenthel Install. Then it will create a second Source folder and save all .es and other scripts there. Finally it will copy over the editor to the location for ease of use. While hardly a priority this would make starting a new project a lot easier and would eliminate copying all the files by hand. Additional options to choose which sub folders of the data folder to copy could also be added.

The fact that this takes a little longer to compile and run is not really a problem for me. I don't really care if it takes an extra few seconds. However the ability to now play my game from the editor is going to come in handy a lot.

I like where this is going Esenthel!
02-25-2011 05:11 AM
Chris Offline

Just being really fussy with font changes: perhaps blue is a little too strong? The Menu bar font pixel allignment looks worse, I guess this isn't what you're focusing on though.

Take the red 'f' on #include stdafx.h:

For the purple/grey "dampening" pixel to the right of the central red pixel, you get:

EE New: 189 161 255
VS: 193 185 255 (Paler/ brighter)

When zoomed out the VS one is just a tiny bit crisper.
But it's a very good improvement, thank you.
02-25-2011 10:47 AM
fatcoder Offline

I agree with chris. The overal coloring is a tiny bit too strong. The font colors (blue, red, green, black... all of them), should be washed out just a tiny bit so there is a little less contrast against the white background. VS has it perfect.
02-25-2011 03:41 PM