About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Scripting possabilities in editor / trees
Gian-Reto Offline

Scripting possabilities in editor / trees
Hi all

I just started to use Esenthel Engine, I like what I see until now but I have a question.

Until now I was using Unity 3D, and basically switched over to Esenthel as Unity 3D seemed to not offer the power we need for our project.

Anyway, in Unity I was using lots of editor scripts to Texturize and populate my world with Trees and Foliage.... is it possible to create editor scripts in Esenthel? Is it limited to professional editions? Which license can it be used with?

Second question, because I haven't found anything yet, is there any "Tree creator" in Esenthel? The one in Unity might not be the fastest solution, but worked well, and if this functionality isn't in Esenthel, how do people do it? Create their own meshes ind 3D Modelling programms and animate them manually?

Thanks for the information.

Gian-Reto
03-08-2011 08:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Scripting possabilities in editor / trees
Hi,

There is "object list" brush which allows to paint many types of objects (check video tutorial)

There is some programmable functionality of the editor in company+ license.

There is no tree creator in EE, you can import models from external programs.
03-08-2011 08:57 AM
Gian-Reto Offline

Hi Esenthel

Okay, I'd rather not "paint" objects on a 10x10KM or larger Terrain.... maybe that's the code monkey in me speaking, but I rather invest a little bit of programming once and be able to create all levels afterwards faster than doing it all by hand smile

But the company license I had in mind anyway, as it is still in Budget (and cheap compared to what you pay for other pro licenses....)

A tree creator would really be awesome.... but then again, I'll find another solution for that.

Thanks for the quick answer
03-08-2011 09:11 AM
Gian-Reto Offline

If you don't mind, I'd like to know if the programmable Functionality of the editor available with the company license would allow access to the Terrain Data, so that I could procedurally texture my terrain tiles. Also, Can I place trees and other objects procedurally? What about gras?

Thanks

Gian-Reto
03-11-2011 01:56 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

procedural texturing - at the moment, no
procedural object placing - yes
03-11-2011 03:20 PM
Gian-Reto Offline

At the moment? Does that mean its on the roadmap?

Also, why isn't it possible? Could I access the world data outside of the world editor somehow to achieve that functionality? Could I control the "brush" in the world editor procedurally?

Could I import a "Texture Mask" from another Programm, and apply this to the Terrain in the world editor?
03-11-2011 03:42 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:procedural texturing - at the moment, no
I mean, I could add this in the future, but at the moment im so tied up with other stuff that it would take long time for me to go to this
03-13-2011 10:52 AM
Gian-Reto Offline

Okay, I think this is a classical misunderstanding.... I didn't wanted to ask you to include procedural texturing in the world editor.

I wanted to ask if there is any possability to change the texture of the terrain from script... so, if I write a custom editor extension for example fot the company version of the esenthiel engine world editor, could I access the terrain and change the texture individually for each tile?
If that is possible, that is all I need. Texturing the terrain will very project specific anyway, I am ready to develop the tools for that myself.
03-16-2011 11:32 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi. Yes I know what you meant but modifying the texture from editor code level is not yet available
03-17-2011 10:17 AM
Gian-Reto Offline

Okay..... is there no workaround for that? Would be a showstopper for me.... which is sad, seeing that esenthel engine else brings almost everything I would need with it.

Could I write "my own world editor" somehow whose output could be used by the esenthel engine?
03-17-2011 11:10 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I'll add this to the roadmap
03-17-2011 11:13 AM
Gian-Reto Offline

that would be awesome. Any estimates about when this Feature could be available?

Is there any page where I can have a look at the roadmap?

Thanks
03-17-2011 11:20 AM
Dynad Offline

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
03-17-2011 11:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gian-Reto Offline

Cool, thanks... I see my feature request is already in there: "setting heightmap materials from editor codes"

Eagerly awaiting any updates.
03-17-2011 11:58 AM
jamessimpler Offline

Forgive me for my dumb-ness question. Since we are at the topic of Tree. I have 2 issues which I hope Esenthel could help:
1. How could we animate trees in Esenthel? Animate I mean by tree movement (as if wind blowing). How can this be done in Esenthel?
2. Texture Wrapping on Object without stretching. For example, tree. I have a tree exported to obj format which broken down into 2 parts Tree Trunk with Branches and Leafs. Applying texture was easy enough especially for the leafs (looked good) but for the tree trunk and branches itself, the texture applied on the object was stretched. How can we apply continuous wrapping instead of stretching? if this even possible in Esenthel?
03-17-2011 02:34 PM