About Store Forum Documentation Contact

General Render Engine newbie Questions
crymantt Offline

General Render Engine newbie Questions
Hi,

We have been looking at the engine and would be delighted if someone can help us with a few questions

1) Can Alpha Mapped trees/objects cast shadows so we see the leafs casting shadows?
2) Can we write our own Shadow method
3) Can we write our own Post effects such as a new Ambient OC shader and also do we have access to Deferred render targets such as the worldspace position, normals etc. or what ever targets are available to the deferred renderer.
4) Can we create a custom shader for a material for example a car-paint shader and how does this fit in with the deferred render pipeline
5) The tessellation for DX11 Hardware has no settings? How do we go about doing displacement mapping.
6) ALSO, when we switch on terrain tessellation in DX10+ mode the performance goes down to 1fps as you are tessellating an already tessellated mesh?
7) Where is the DOF setting (Can we implement our own DOF)? I cannot find it...

Thanks!
03-10-2011 06:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: General Render Engine newbie Questions
1) they do, material techniques ALPHA_TEST or BLEND_TEST_*
2) no
3) you can have access only to depth at the moment, theres tutorial for that if you own the license
4) yes you can use custom shaders for deferred system, forward/simple arent supported
5) displacement will be soon
7) D.dof*
03-11-2011 09:34 AM
crymantt Offline

Thanks,

So if we purchase a license as you stated in number 4 that we can write our own custom shaders for the deferred system (which is what we are interested in) however you say we only have access to the depth info in 3, but can't we write shaders to get information regarding (render targets by replacing all the mats/shaders in the scene) , normals, position, albido etc..

The reason we are asking is that it is very important for us to be able to do some customer Post FX and other shaders relevant to our needs such as atmospheric skyscattering, IBL, anamorphic streaks, Bokeh DOF and others.

Your help would we greatly appreciated!

Jay

How is the Deferred Shader material system work? How are you doing the material assignment, because if there is one ubershader how can we do specific saders say for the trees (SSS) or a custom carpaint? A
03-11-2011 01:33 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

4) you can use custom shaders for deferred renderer for 3d mesh materials
and
full-screen 2d post process shaders for all renderers (where you can access depth only)

check at the shader tutorials, though you wont be able to run them without license, you can see how it works.
you set a custom "user technique enum" for a material, then in the codes basing on the enum you can load custom shader for a mesh.
03-11-2011 03:19 PM
crymantt Offline

Ok, still a little unclear about what you mean. You say fullscreen 2d post effects, however there is not much you can do with only a depth buffer!!, my question is can I say, render Normals, or positions ect, into a render target after dynamically replacing the materials? (Which then I can use these RT's in my own post fx shader).

Also, If you can in general describe the rendering pipeline you are using for the deffered system. Why only expose the depth map only? why not expose all the other render targets being used , so I don't have to render these twice?

Without buying a license this is impossible to test out from my end. Give me a simple example of doing a post fx that will require eg. world space normals RT, and world space position RT.

Thanks again.
03-12-2011 04:37 AM
crymantt Offline

I would really appreciate your answer to my question above, thanks.
03-13-2011 03:23 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

There is no access to normals. That RT gets overwritten during rendering process with some other data
03-13-2011 08:11 AM
crymantt Offline

Esenthel, have you actually read the question? I don't understand why you have to be so cryptic with your answers, over all we are just trying to work out the extensibility of this engine. Can you please elaborate on your answer.
03-13-2011 03:28 PM
Dwight Offline

Crymantt, did you read the answer?

Esenthel is not cryptic, he is just VERY straight to the point.

What Esenthel also mentioned is that you should SEE what is going to happen before it is happening by just reading the code:
Quote:check at the shader tutorials, though you wont be able to run them without license, you can see how it works.

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
03-13-2011 08:31 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:my question is can I say, render Normals, or positions ect, into a render target after dynamically replacing the materials?
that won't be efficient, so don't do it
03-13-2011 08:42 PM
cgman Offline

esenthel why don't you answer these questions? It seems like youre just wasting your potential customers time. Explain your rendering pipeline.And you want people to pay?
yeah just ban the people with questions you couldn't be stuffed answering, how old are you 14?
(03-13-2011 08:42 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  
Quote:my question is can I say, render Normals, or positions ect, into a render target after dynamically replacing the materials?

What a stupid answer, just brush it under the carpet..Are you guys just lazy, or con artists?
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2011 12:52 AM by cgman.)
03-17-2011 12:09 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

(03-13-2011 08:42 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  

He basically answered your question as "no."
03-17-2011 01:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dwight Offline

You can do virtually anything with this engine yourself.

Your attitude is what is getting you banned all the time.

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
03-17-2011 08:39 AM