About Store Forum Documentation Contact

General UI questions
Dark Offline

General UI questions
Hey, I'm pretty new to this engine, and actually wanting to learn it so I can develop a game based on a roleplay of mine in the future, and I have some questions regarding the UI system.

1. Does the UI edtor support transparency for elements? Like if I had an options window that I wanted to render with a transparent background, would this be possible?
  2. Is it possible to add a post-processing effect to use as the background for say, inventory menus?
  3. And finally, how deep is the animation support, if any, for UI elements?

Thanks.
03-17-2011 02:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rndbit Offline

RE: General UI questions
1. yes
2. if i understand right - yes
3. this one is a hack. you could dynamically alter Image object assigned to background on the window, then it would create animated effect, im not aware of native say animated background support other than that. well you can assign things like image to display when button is down or mouse is over the button, but its very basic.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2011 11:11 AM by rndbit.)
03-17-2011 10:59 AM
Dynad Offline

3. You can always add a Flash GUI (Hikari) in EE. I believe someone at the forum managed to fix that.

Ah yes here it is smile -> http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...hp?tid=418

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
03-17-2011 11:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dark Offline

I knew people would have a /little/ trouble understabding 2 so I'll attach an image to help explain it better, from Oblivion (ignore the character).

[Image: screen.png]

Notice the background sepia effect? That's basically what I meant.
03-17-2011 03:19 PM
Esenthel Online
Administrator

Hi,

2. You can basically just use "render to texture"
having texture you can draw it to the screen using any custom 2d shader (available in personal license)
after that you can draw the 3d model separately, Renderer.*combine*=true (there's tutorial for combine)

3. for animated images you need to manually change them every frame.
03-17-2011 03:34 PM
Dark Offline

Rarely ever see helpful engine developers. XD

I'm looking into buying a license actually, as this engine looks really good. I'll have to learn me some C++ first though. XD So, adding to my short list of langs I need to learn: Python, C++, PHP, SQL...

RTT actually seems like it'd work for #2, but looking into Hikari it seems the better fit for 3. Thanks for that suggestion though!
03-17-2011 03:43 PM