About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Just starting out...some basic questions.
unforgivenhero Offline

Just starting out...some basic questions.
Alright so first of all I wish to say I am very impressed with the rendering power of the Esenthel engine; it really is quite amazing. Over the past weeks, I have been looking at game engines that would suit a FPS style game that I plan to develop. However, I currently am unsure of how Esenthel would stand vs UDK ( my other option atm).

First of all, I have designed a basic world already using the toolset, yet I am confused as to how and where you program the gameplay and events that affect that world. Is there a specific CPP file I am looking to edit (I already have created a project and have the 00Start cpp file)?

In addition, I am assuming that the loading of worlds, main menu, loading screens, complete gameplay system, weather, AI and the like all must be programmed in C++ under the project files. Is this accurate?

Other than that, I am struggling to understand the engine for the most part. However, the part that will really make an engine catch my eye is the scripting/programming and the quality of it. One can have beautiful world but it isn't a game unless their is something fun to do inside of it.

Any direction towards solving these questions or helping a beginner out will be highly appreciated. Thanks a ton in advance for your time.

Sincerely,

Unforgiven Hero
03-18-2011 01:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

RE: Just starting out...some basic questions.
Quote:First of all, I have designed a basic world already using the toolset, yet I am confused as to how and where you program the gameplay and events that affect that world. Is there a specific CPP file I am looking to edit (I already have created a project and have the 00Start cpp file)?
Read the tutorials, they will teach you the basics

Quote:In addition, I am assuming that the loading of worlds, main menu, loading screens, complete gameplay system, weather, AI and the like all must be programmed in C++ under the project files. Is this accurate?
Yes.

Quote:Any direction towards solving these questions or helping a beginner out will be highly appreciated. Thanks a ton in advance for your time.
Follow the tutorials, read up on some C++
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2011 02:22 AM by Zervox.)
03-18-2011 02:22 AM
unforgivenhero Offline

okay thanks for the reply, I'll start looking at the tutorials. any other help would be greatly appreciated however. thank you in advance!
03-18-2011 10:44 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:In addition, I am assuming that the loading of worlds, main menu, loading screens, complete gameplay system, weather, AI and the like all must be programmed in C++ under the project files. Is this accurate?
yeah, but I'm also finishing development of Code Editor which can simplify programming alot. however for the moment most of the tutorials is available only as pure c++ (please check SDK\Tutorials folder, you'll find everything there, 100+ tutorials)
03-18-2011 01:13 PM
unforgivenhero Offline

okay thanks a ton!
03-18-2011 07:41 PM