About Store Forum Documentation Contact

interiors from 3ds max see thru?
ghreef Offline

interiors from 3ds max see thru?
I
m working on creating a hollow box (starting simple) in 3ds max, adding a material and bringing it into esenthel via panda. I make a simple box in 3ds max, change it into an editable poly, remove the front and back poly, add a material and bring it into the engine. all seems to go well, I can add physics and everything - but ...

1 - I can see from the inside of the box out as if there were no sides and
2 - there are no physics inside the box. I can run right out of it. Once I'm out of the box, everything acts normal - I can see the sides and I am stopped by it's physics. Again, when I'm inside the box (I put a waypoint into the map inside the box) it's like the box doesn't exist. Do I need to make an inside or did I miss something stupid?

Thanks.
03-26-2011 05:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
llynx Offline

RE: interiors from 3ds max see thru?
1. Either in 3DS Max double side each side or enable culling for the material applied.
2. To make this type of physics you need 4 boxes that represent each visible plane, Physx does not handle the interiors
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2011 05:20 AM by llynx.)
03-26-2011 05:20 AM
Dandruff Offline

Yup, what llynx said, it's just too simple a shape right now. It's lacking some dimension, each wall should have a front back top and bottom. Imagine yourself actually holding a hollow cube. The amount of faces this cube has isn't just the 4 sides, it has a lot of other sides too.
03-26-2011 07:19 AM
Dynad Offline

The reason you fall through is that only 1 side of the polygon has physics.. so if you flip the normals in e.g 3dMax and use the create physics from mesh again you will see that you wont fall through again wink

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
03-26-2011 04:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
llynx Offline

(03-26-2011 04:11 PM)Dynad Wrote:  The reason you fall through is that only 1 side of the polygon has physics.. so if you flip the normals in e.g 3dMax and use the create physics from mesh again you will see that you wont fall through again wink

Physics from mesh is only for statics, if you want the box to at any point be movable you can't just generate from mesh and have to set up the physics shapes yourself.
03-26-2011 09:14 PM
Dynad Offline

The topic starter hasn't stated anything about moving boxes.. but yes for moving objects you need to setup your own physics shapes to make it work..

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
03-27-2011 12:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghreef Offline

It's only for static, but still I had to make my own boxes after recreating my own meshes in 3DS. Boy is physics creation a challenge. My eyes were having trouble seeing if I was lined up. Too bad I couldn't define my physics inside 3ds like in other engines. That would be easier! Still, it's working. Now I'm off and running making tunnel and cave packs! Thanks!!!
03-28-2011 04:11 AM
Chris Offline

P.S. there is also Mesh > Transform > Reverse inside the "Model Editor" for people who search this thread & don't have tools to do this. And there's Mesh > Copy Part, to set it up so you can see both sides.
03-28-2011 10:27 AM
ghreef Offline

Ever see the show home improvement? Do you know his confused grunt huhhh?? (I just made that). -trying to figure out hot that can help me. Also, anyone have a comment on whether deep uv is a better tool to use than the 3ds max unwrap and photoshop workflow?
03-28-2011 01:43 PM